XKCD

18 Likes

Not sure if this was posted yet -

26 Likes

Not really a meme just a !

Editing to hide the meme as requested

Hidden for Antisemitism

FB_IMG_1610420963475|230x500

Apologies for not putting it behind a thing earlier, I didnt think, thank you for calling me out

Also a link to the Antisemitism thread for people who want to learn more.

9 Likes

What’s the shirt he’s wearing? I can’t tell from the photo.

1 Like
Response to Holocaust image

I heard references to a guy with a Camp Auschwitz t-shirt. Assuming it’s that, but don’t really want to darken my search history with that phrase.

7 Likes

Camp Auschwitz

1 Like

It’s a Camp Auschwitz shirt.

Even the clear pictures also don’t show that the back of these say “Staff” on them.

And more of a reply to the twitter thread - how old do they think that dude is? (Answer: He’s a 50-something known anti-Semite, not someone old enough to have been liberated in 1945.)

8 Likes

Good god. That’s just sick.

7 Likes

27 Likes

YES.

3 Likes

FB_IMG_1610456460192

29 Likes

I’ve seen a number of really smart commentaries on this discussing how poor Holocaust education is in the US and how problematic and dangerous that is.

Thanks to @nnls for the quick, kind response and for honoring my request. I just realized I never came back and deleted the part I had promised so I am doing that now.

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing that perspective nicky. When I shared it with my husband (Jewish) he cringed and gave a sort of tepid smile and nod so I gather it hit on a lot of notes for him that a non-Jewish party (me) may not have noticed. Thanks for sharing in such a constructive way.

5 Likes

I’m glad it felt constructive.

I’ve been going back and forth about saying anything about the rest of the conversation but I can’t stop thinking about it. The discussion after the meme which discusses what was actually said and then expresses some horror about it…there’s something about this also that doesn’t sit very right with me.

This is a pretty triggering meme and I think in the discussion afterwards about what it is, some of the posters are noticing that, but not doing anything beyond a comment. We all need to be ready to take more proactive action when we see something is wrong. In this case, it could have protected me (a Jew) from needing to do the work to explain the problem and from having to see this over and over everywhere on the internet. But more importantly and dangerously, the more we let stuff like this get normalized, the less likely it seems that normal people will be ready to stand up for Jews and other marginalized people in dangerous situations. Even in the last year, even just during the 8 days of Chanukah, there were a number of attacks on Jews. Yesterday in Portland, OR, a Jewish business was vandalized and people wrote horrible vandalism on this shop that makes it clear the vandalism was a response to it being a Jewish restaurant. Life in the US is extremely tenuous and scary for Jews and other marginalized groups right now, and I think we need everyone to be a little more proactive about calling out antisemitism when they see it and removing it.

I want to try and be mindful of not getting into an off-topic pile-on situation. Did we ever get any of those educational threads set up?

17 Likes

I pinged you on the violations thread. I think that’s the place we are still building all of that.

3 Likes

17 Likes

Delightful

2 Likes