Maintenance Phase Podcast Discussion

I haven’t listened yet! I thought the one on the twinkie defence was interesting and almost nothing to do with diet culture, for “weird people” episodes

2 Likes

I’m so excited they did the Scarsdale Diet! I know a lot about the murder from other sources and it always struck me as one of those that became a pop culture punch line but in reality was a woman driven to the absolute brink over many years. Like Lorena Bobbit.

ETA: Omg AND Bailey Sarian did Lisa Frank this week. THIS IS MY TIME!!!

2 Likes

Wait what does Lisa Frank of Rainbows etc have to do with murders?

1 Like

It’s part of her Dark History series!

Ohhh I am very curious

1 Like

The internet and a jezebel article make it sound like it was a case of spoiled rich kid runs abusive company selling rainbows and sparkles. I may try to listen to the podcast episode, thank you @AllHat !

3 Likes

Looking forward to listening to the latest ep! Skipping a bunch of comments here bc the French Women episode was more :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face: for me than i thought it would be. I recognized a LOT of what was discussed in my own and my family’s own past (and a few current) patterns.

11 Likes

I read about this on the Tucson reddit page, because the Lisa Frank headquarters are in Tucson! I had no idea…I was so obsessed as a child. I would love to go for a tour there, not that they allow that haha. I will have to watch/listen to this one!

2 Likes

Same here, ugh. Hugs

4 Likes

heyyyy broooo :expressionless: SORRY.

4 Likes

I blame the French. (Jk it’s not just them. But they make a nice scapegoat.)

This reminds me of the Happy Endings reoccurring bit “Jane hates the French” lol

3 Likes

I thought this was a really great article (and I love this sub stack, just found it so am telling everyone I know, also awesome comments section)

Thoughts

I totally remembered that Jessica Simpson Picture the second I saw it, anyone else?!

I also thought the comment I pasted below, which is on the article, was interesting and was curious what people here thought. It’s something I’ve thought about for a long time but not found a way to articulate. And I also think it’s an interesting opener to talk about why we don’t discuss beauty privilege in the way we do skinny privilege? It’s such a huge thing but there are social reasons why (IMO) it’s harder to bring up, because like…are you saying it’s real and you know what it does and how it acts IRL because you experience it, which means you are calling yourself pretty? Which means you are vain and full of yourself and also opening yourself up to critique? Or are you saying it’s real and you’re disadvantaged because of it meaning…you are calling yourself not beautiful…which feels, not great, and also insinuates that other people who look like you are not beautiful slash will probably be taken as low self-esteem. Half baked thoughts here as usual, would love to know the take of others more well read in this sphere.

The comment I’m mentioning:

"What these conversations rarely cover is what I personally think is the solution. Blasting the message that “everyone is beautiful” still presumes the most harmful thing of all: that beauty is the most important thing. Beauty is so important, in fact, that we must twist and contort to make sure everyone fits. Because NOT being beautiful, NOT looking good, well that’s a fate so horrible it’s unimaginable.

The really radical message is not that fat is beautiful. It’s that beautiful just isn’t that important. Beauty should be like a wonderful singing voice: lovely if you’ve got it, but your world isn’t over if you’re born tone-deaf. There are other things to be. You can be talented, funny, intelligent, sporty; believe it or not, there’s an entire spectrum of human achievement completely unrelated to weight. And unlike “empowered” female scientists and superheroes on TV, those things don’t have to come ACCOMPANIED by beauty; beauty isn’t the prerequisite before you get to have other human attributes. This is more-or-less how men live, and I think it’s a way of being that is entirely achievable.

Celebrating fat beauty is just another way of saying beauty is still a requirement for female existence, but we’re going to let more women be people now. But what if we just didn’t give the word “beauty” that power? What if we just lived without that voice in our heads constantly assessing, positively or negatively, revising, trying to think what we “should” think, trying to see what we “should” see. What if it just didn’t matter? What if women could be something other than beautiful?"

ETA: Oh and just to be clear I have nothing against fat beauty stuff. I understand from reading why it’s so important and revolutionary for the time we are in right now. I’m pondering the above in more of a “what are next steps for future generations” way. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Oh yeah this is a big topic and has been growing for a couple of years and now im waving my hands because MY TIME HAS COME to provide allllll the linky links and I cant remember who else has been talking about this stuff gaaaaaah. Will check back in with more once I calm down and remember it.

ETA: It ties into self-objectification.

5 Likes
Summary

Ok this reads like im a tentacled monster of the deep.

your legs are hideous, here’s how to make them not hideous.” It’s more like this passage, from 1993:

“Get killer legs with the following exercises that stretch and elongate your leg muscles. Do them with smooth, fluid motions; tight, jerky moves will give you bulkiness you probably don’t want.”

4 Likes
Summary

Hahaha! As long as you are not a “bulky” monster I’m sure it will be fine.

2 Likes
Summary

The bulk gets in the way of strangling victims and you’d have to bash them instead, how passé
(unsure if using that word right)

5 Likes
Summary

If this is cultural criticism, I like it!

3 Likes

Ok will have to look later but how good is this pug:

From here:

8 Likes

I am so in for this conversation, but I have to study right meow. I will be back to make comments! Oh and I do remember that Jessica Simpson photo and my own mother’s comments about it. Looking at it now I’m just like…yikes, what a fucked up time that was.

5 Likes

My mum has her fatphobia but she was incredibly counter cultural for the time. She was telling us “it’s fine to be fat as long as you’re healthy” (ableist we now know) in the midst of the time period we’re discussing. I had so many arguments with friends that they were fine as they were. I doubt any remember arguing with me. I had a heaping of skinny privilege and prettiness so i didn’t have to contort to conform to be accepted. It got me through where my social awkwardness should have had me given weird looks.

3 Likes