Maintenance Phase Podcast Discussion

:eyes: oooh ok well I may liveblog under a cut once I get to listen to it.

2 Likes

41 minutes left.

I really wasnā€™t prepared

3 Likes

OMG, hahahaha this is gold. 10/10 and Iā€™m only like 12 minutes in.

3 Likes

Fuuuucking hell Pete Evens. The fuuuuck. :face_with_peeking_eye::exploding_head::crazy_face::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I am going to have to listen from the start again.

3 Likes

I had to skip forward through his last two interview clips because they were just SO BANANAS.

3 Likes

I have to ride 2 hours tomorrow and I am pumped to download these episodes based on your reactions

3 Likes
Thoughts on Pete Evans-spoilers contained

First, Iā€™d never heard of this guy and was not expecting the twist from paleo chef toā€¦not covid denier, exactly but close? I mean he seemed to think it was real but that people who got it were already ill and were already ill due to lifestyle choices. And then finally to full on internet racist/4G afraid weirdo.

His suggestions in that interview to get all us disableds and ills and like, put us in the sun :rofl: and give us self esteem and salads to cure us? IDK, for me it kind of fell into the ā€œtoo absurd to be offensiveā€ category. Iā€™m not sure if other people feel the same way but this kind of ā€œableismā€, which I guess it technically is, doesnā€™t hit me hard at all because I kind of just feel like itā€™s the external manifestation of another personā€™s terror.

I feel like for me to mock Pete Evans would be punching down? Like if you could weigh out spiritual well-being and general resilience Iā€™d be a mountain and heā€™d be a little piece of gravel, terrified of everything and screaming at the moon. Iā€™ve heard this kind of ableism many times and to me it just reeks of the fear of mortality and age, which if I may say so myself I find kind ofā€¦weaksauce. LOL. Like, grow up! I do get offended when itā€™s face to face, like when people ask what happened to avoid it themselves or say theyā€™d kill themselves in my situation, etc. That pisses me off because itā€™s very triggering and also super fucking rude to tell someone you think theyā€™d be better off dead, lol. Even if it is just the personā€™s own weakness shining through like a shitty beacon of anti-resilience.

But this kind of thing Pete says I have heard constantly from the start of the pandemic, and I feel like I still hear it with the level of terror around getting sick and getting long covid, etc. I just feel like I canā€™t even muster an emotional reaction for it because itā€™s kind ofā€¦beneath me? Like from a stance of where I am in my life? I imagine disabled people who live in much tougher conditions than I do would feel that way about a lot of my problems, like that they are so far down on the list they donā€™t even qualify for attention? Thatā€™s how people like this guy make me feel.

TL;DR- I feel like this guy is positively flailing in his own discomfort about the most basic fact of human life? That things change and people die. It makes him look like a monumental baby to me, lol. Also I think this is super common in a lot of health/fitness circles, from vegan to keto to paleo to ā€œwhole foodsā€ to vegetarian to primal to no sugar to different workout programs, etc-- there is often a strong undercurrent among some people in those groups that itā€™s the golden answer to not being old or disabled ever. Little babies be afraid, yā€™all!

The weird easter egg racist stuff was also kind of that way to me too, like it just reeeeeks of insecurity and a need to have a ā€œlogical reasonā€ to point to for white supremacy/perhaps his own success directly. Iā€™m not saying people like him arenā€™t damaging or dangerous, I just think they are like, deeply sad and terrified and weak- like most people who are abusive and narcissistic and all that. When bigots like him say the things they do I just sort of see a toddler throwing a tantrum. Anyone else?

17 Likes

Okay I have this downloaded but havenā€™t listened yet, I appreciate the spoilered stuff so I can have the right mindset going in to this.

Also, youā€™re a badass mountain.

3 Likes

Hahahaha, thank you. :wink:

2 Likes

Between you and @ladyduck Iā€™m very ready for this episodeā€¦ oooh plain Jane is typing now.

I need popcorn

5 Likes

yes, and also it scares me that they are given a platform and infect other people with their mindset, because then really bad systemic things are put into place, or not fixed.

9 Likes

I agree. The reason I think itā€™s really important to talk about the emotional mechanics underpinning their mindset (or any hate ideology really) is because I believe thatā€™s how you treat this kind of thing. I think itā€™s a superficial treatment to educate people on facts and figures and histories, because this is a human issue. And when something is a broad human issue I tend to think it is not just cultural but that it has some deeper human animal instinct kind of core. I think if we can fix the core part of the problem (the fear) that these ideas wonā€™t be able to get traction so easily.

Also, I donā€™t see why we canā€™t utilize the same shaming tactics they do to inspire positive change. Like we should call people with these views what they are: hysterical, weak, flailing, insecure, tantruming, fussy, entitled, fragile, self-victimizing, unable to cope, sad, defeatist, etc. I know people frown upon shaming these daysā€¦haha, Iā€™m just saying I think it would work. I mean how satisfying would it be to read a headline that was like: ā€œGiant Man Baby Tantrums, Unable to Cope With Basic Changeā€ hahaha. I mean I get why we shouldnā€™t, blah blah implications, butā€¦I mean it would be really fun.

11 Likes

This is really well said! Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently. I hear that parents of children with disabilities get similar comments/questions.

I had never heard of this guy either but WOW he isā€¦ something. A fascinatingly disturbing case study? About halfway through episode 2. They say thereā€™s more to comeā€¦

3 Likes

Haha, totally. This is also how I ended up on a Jordan Peterson binge like a couple years ago. Quite a specimen. I canā€™t help myself though. Once I get a whiff of fringe I want to know more and how and why, especially when someone is drawing such big crowds and support.

Yes, I feel like one sign that something is a human issue and not just a cultural issue is when permutations of it exist across the spectrum of severity.

ableism root imo

So like, you have Pete and guys like him at the farthest extreme, but then you have people who are ā€œjustā€ afraid and want to see what you did wrong to have it happen to you, and people who ā€œjustā€ want to give you advice to cure you (sometimes spiritual sometimes physical)- to be ā€œhelpfulā€, then you have people who think theyā€™d rather die than face disability- but not in a mean way!!!, and then you have people who are ā€œjustā€ really really anxious about covid or car accidents or lyme disease or diabetes or having a disabled kid or whatever, who are sure they would never say anything ableistā€¦but who are ā€œjustā€ really scared of, what? Getting sick or becoming disabled or having to care for someone sick or disabled.

The other light versions, I think, are things like fear of death, fear of aging/denial, discomfort around old people, some brands of sexism (i.e. women are physically weaker than men so, we should have power over them), fatphobia (ā€œbeing fat will kill youā€), etc. It all has that root fear of physical vulnerability and lack of physical control and mortality IMO, which is super fucking primal and thatā€™s why itā€™s so hard to stamp out.

12 Likes

Clearly you mean this right?

8 Likes

Yes. Excellent context reading.

6 Likes

Look, Iā€™m clearly brilliant. I was the only one in my class that read SAT and ACT as the words they are instead of just saying the letters like some kind of jerk. Come on, people! Weā€™re trying to get into college here, learn your sight words!

9 Likes

That jacket better be en route to my apartment. You know how I operate. It started as a joke but now I really want it. Think about how it would go with my hair!!!

7 Likes

Bone broth vs breast milk
The racism
They are doing an excellent job with this nutty dude

7 Likes