Life is Short and the World is Wide - Travel talk

I have (though not orthodox easter, and not during covid). We stayed in a tiny airbnb in the centre of Athens which was amazing, then went out to the coast and mountains near Kardamyli, which was absolutely gorgeous.

3 Likes

Any chance you have a record of what Airbnb?

1 Like

I do! It was https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16278854?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=854a2e40-d364-47a1-9b78-b33c0b428a88 - cheap and cheerful but it was right in the centre of Athens and we had the best time and could go right out for fresh baking every morning.

1 Like

I have been to Greece twice, not during a pandemic.

Most recent trip was in May 2015, went to Thessaloniki, Kalabaka, Athens, Ios and Santorini

The first time was 2012 , went to Samos, Patmos and Kos

I enjoyed this restaurant in Ios - Log into Facebook | Facebook

1 Like

If one were to choose between Bend in the spring/summer or Phoenix in the spring, which would one choose? Phoenix would likely have a side trip to Tucson.

1 Like

Thank you!!

I went to Greece in pandemic times (Oct 2021) but Iā€™m in Europe already so that makes things easierā€¦

COVID wise you had to show proof of vaccination for most indoor places (museum, restaurants) but not outdoor (terracces, outdoor sightseeing). Within the EU countries recognize each othersā€™ COVID pass systems so not sure how itā€™d be for Americans.

For reference: I went to Athens and the island Aegina closest to it. We stayed in a rather nice hotel on the north side of the center, in an ā€˜edgyā€™ neighbourhood (read mostly: lots of immigrants, low SES, nothing truly dangerous).

If you happen to go to Athens I would recommend the area of Theseio to stay as itā€™s a very upcoming neighbourhood with aaaaall the cute new hotspots/restaurants/fancy cafes and also walking distance from the main city center.

2 Likes

Noted, thank you!

Thought this newsletter about vacationing (with kids!) while ā€œbrokeā€ was interesting. Also liked the aside about asking your rich friend a million questions :laughing:

https://link.thecut.com/view/5e3858e524c17c15d9800c9fgujm3.1yp/279551b1

Some choice quotes:

In a culture that equates luxury with power, to consume luxury is to show the world, and yourself, that you have a bit of power too. Some people might think this behavior is highly irresponsible, and I gently suggest that they kill the cop within.

Mostly, itā€™s a matter of having fun in the dwindling public spaces afforded us by our landscape. [ā€¦] Resist the habit of organizing your days around activities and, instead, try to slowly explore the weird interstitial spaces in cities and towns on foot. If most of this sounds like ā€œbehaving eccentrically in public,ā€ maybe that says something disappointing about how rigorously our public spaces structure our behavior.

3 Likes

Hopefully everyone can read that at the link? I didnā€™t see a place where the newsletter is ā€œpostedā€ as a normal article on the Cutā€™s site, but Iā€™ll keep looking in case it shows up. I think my real name may be at the bottom of this shared link so justā€¦ignore :wink:

1 Like

Looking into flights for the company meeting in France. Iā€™m so excited!!! Weā€™re going to Chamonix so Iā€™ll be flying into Geneva Switzerland. :partying_face: I get to add countries to my list. Iā€™m thinking of flying into Geneva arriving Sunday afternoon staying there one night to have a little time to chill and explore the area then take a train to Chamonix Monday late afternoon. Company meeting is Tuesday and Wednesday. Then Iā€™ll fly back home Thursday.

I really hope Iā€™m not too jet lagged on Sunday/Monday to be able to see Geneva.

Anyone been to either location that has any recommendations?

7 Likes

Switzerland is gorgeous. I donā€™t have Geneva recsā€“I was in Lucerne. Fight the jet lag and get out there! Excited to live vicariously through whatever pics you share!!

2 Likes

Iā€™m so excited to get to see the Swiss and French alps. All pictures Iā€™ve ever seen are just breathtaking! Iā€™ll definitely post some here.

2 Likes

Have the best time! I went on an Alps road trip a few years ago that included Chamonix, and it was an absolute dream. It felt a lot like a US ski town like Vail to me, probably because we model our ski towns on the Alps.

I donā€™t have any specific recs for the town itself, but are you planning on going up the gondola/funicular? It was still ski season when I went so the prices reflected that, and we didnā€™t spring for it. If Iā€™m reading right that that will be your base in the Alps, I would recommend going up.

Let me know if youā€™ll be going to other towns and I can give recs.

2 Likes

I imagine the company meeting will be more, bonding with colleagues and doing local activities so I hope the gondola is one of the options since weā€™ll be right there. If not I may do it on my own. I canā€™t not go up the highest mountain in Europe if Iā€™m staying in the town at the base right?

I think Geneva and Chamonix will be there only two places.

2 Likes

Fun! I know youā€™ll have a great time. Please eat some fondue for me.

1 Like

You got it!

2 Likes

RIGHT

3 Likes

Next trip is to Disney with the kids and Mr Pug. Iā€™m so excited. The weather looks great and this should be a relatively less crowded week there. No school vacations or marathons or holidays just the art festival which is so fun. We leave next Tuesday through the following Wednesday. Oh and I managed to pay for half the trip with travel hacking.

7 Likes

You are going to have so much fun!!