Life is Short and the World is Wide - Travel talk

Road trips are so fun!

1 Like

Made travel plans for June! My wifeā€™s birthday is in mid-June, and sheā€™s mentioned wanting to go to Steamboat Springs, a ski/outdoor activities town in the mountains here in CO. I just booked an AirBnB there that allows dogs, so weā€™ll bring our furry son.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be going to Las Vegas in September for a conference and or course my mind is like hmm Disneyland is only a 4ish hour drive away from Vegas. I could check out at the end of the conference on Saturday then rent a car drive to Anaheim, hit Disney Sunday then hop on a red eye Sunday night. Iā€™d have to change my flight coming home to leave from LAX (or San Diego even) and get a hotel and rent a car. Maybe itā€™s not worth the trouble.

ETA: What is there to do closer to Vegas aside from the Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, and the Grand Canyon? Iā€™ve done those recently.

3 Likes

Soā€¦if you want to get lost in some blog posts (some good, some infuriating), here is the recount of the 4 year journey done on a shoestring budget to get to every country in the worldā€¦withOUT flying. Every day has a blog post.

5 Likes

Ok looks like Colorado next year is most likely happening. We are thinking of maybe taking a train out there. We would go from Boston to Chicago then Chicago to Denver spend maybe a week and a half out there then come back same way or maybe fly back :thinking:.

I started pricing out Amtrak and the Boston to Chicago segment doesnā€™t have family bedrooms so there having us get two rooms. I wonder if we can get just one room though. Seems unnecessary and expensive to have one adult and puglet in one room and then one other adult in a separate room. I just donā€™t know if thatā€™s allowed. Also no idea how a three year old would handle two full days on a train.

3 Likes

As someone who rode the train with 3 kids yearly from Chicago to upstate New York what you are planning is too long for a 3 year old. We would get on the train at 6pm and arrive at our destination at 8am. That worked great. I once rode the train alone from Syracuse to Reno which was 3 days and nights. Thatā€™s definitely too long. When I got off I was dizzy and felt like I was still moving. Also the sleeper room was hard to sleep in because it felt like we were right on the tracks. I only had a sleeper one night and the other 2 nights slept much better in the regular seat. If you ever ride in winter and the weather is bad they have to slow down just like a car if the tracks are icy. A 12 hour trip took 24 one time. In general I love trains and enjoy the scenery. I recently rode it for 7 hours to visit a friend in California.

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback. I think we are going to try out a few shorter trips first and hold off on the multi day trips until he is older and can tell us if he actually wants to take a trip across the country by train.

1 Like

Once my kids got to be 5 they actually loved traveling by train. One reason is that they werenā€™t trapped in their seat like a car. You can walk around and spend time in the lounge car for a change of pace. They have tables with booths and it was a great space to play games.

2 Likes

The HayPug annual NH vacation is quickly approaching. We leave in 15 sleeps. Final details are coming together. We ordered a bike seat for Puglet that will hopefully arrive next week. We have a bike trailer but it takes up precious cargo space and weā€™re hoping to just take one car.

Itinerary includes;
Clarks Trading Post - They train bears and put on a show plus have yummy fudge
Storyland - Amusement Park
Presidential Rail Trail - 36 mile round trip bike ride
Kayaking on Lake Winnipesaukee
Fun Spot - Worlds largest arcade
Lots of trips to the beach and eating ice cream
Hiking a 4,000 footer
A train ride that is yet to be determined

4 Likes

This sounds like a lovely trip.

2 Likes

I an currently on an interstate holiday. Travelled from Perth to Tasmania on Friday and am visiting family and trying to stay warm.

On Friday the 16th I am travelling to Melbourne to see a friend. I am currently cancelling what would have been the last leg of the holiday to go to Sydney and see Hamilton as they had 77 covid cases today and so we canā€™t travel there.

Will be heading back to Perth on the 21st instead.

Its been nice to see my family who I havent seen since 2018 :blush:

2 Likes

My next big trip idea is to rent an RV and drive across the country while Iā€™m on maternity leave next summer! Iā€™m planning to take 6 months off from Mid-March to Mid-September so weā€™re thinking August that way the baby will have gotten their shots and be hopefully sleeping ā€œdecentlyā€.

Still also planning to do Disneyworld in 2023 with a short cruise, I donā€™t want to lose out on my $300 credit with Royal Caribbean but weā€™ll see what life is like with 2 kids. Iā€™m doing my travel hacking thing for this trip and so far have got it worked out to be a $12k vacation that I can get for $3,500 with credit card bonuses and other savings Iā€™ve found.

4 Likes

If anyone needs to leave seattle with another person (@lhamo?) - Delta is doing BOGO plane tickets out of Seattle. Today is the last day to book, travel through December 15th

https://www.delta.com/us/en/flight-deals/seattle-bogo-deals

2 Likes

So sad I missed this by two days!

I feel like I need to take some short, one night trips to get my travel confidence back. I found these awesome shacks on the coast of the Olympic peninsula and I might try to do a solo trip when itā€™s all rainy this winter. And going to visit my family in the Midwest.

Otherwise itā€™s all dreams. Going to Korea to see my partnerā€™s family and going back to Ireland are the ones I feel confident in. Also Norway, Vietnam, seeing Venice again before it sinks, Ghana, and all of Central/South America.

3 Likes

Just applied and was approved for the Capital One Venture card, this is the next step on my way to paying for our Disney trip (2023) all with credit card points and cashback.

5 Likes

Iā€™m now down to a cost of $1,200 assuming we can get all the cashback/air miles Iā€™ve found. So far so good but one of the items for both of us to get is the Chase Sapphire which currently only have a 60k point sign-on bonus. Hoping to get at least 80k maybe even 100k which I think is kind of rare.

The RV trip probably wont happen this year but we are planning to do out annual NH vacation in July. We need to get that booked soon as places do start to fill up fast.

2 Likes

How far ahead of my Turks and Caicos trip should I buy plane tickets?

T&C is now a ā€œLevel 4ā€ Covid risk. Thatā€™s the highest level, but the summer is a long time away. I also wish I knew what risk level Iowa and Missouri are. I mean, if I live in Level 4 anyway, is traveling there that big of a deal?

Also need to find trip insurance that covers a covid quarantine, or a covid cancellation.

1 Like

Heh, sometimes a thing is too good to be true. Japanā€™s borders are still closed and it all just seems too stressful, soā€¦this trip is canceled. :upside_down_face:

I might set my sights on some fall domestic travel instead.

2 Likes

Has anyone been to Greece before? Is it a foolā€™s errand to plan a European honeymoon during COVID times? Iā€™m aiming for May, after Orthodox Easter.

2 Likes