Language Learning The Cheap Way

For anyone else that might be considering Rosetta Stone - try checking your local library to see if they have it as a resource. They are partnered(?) (or something) with EBSCO, I have access to 23 languages through the library. It’s unclear if you get the full course, but if you just want to try it out it is somewhere to start.

4 Likes

You definitely need a child brain for true immersive learning.

It can help a lot to do a lot of things in the target language from the get-go, if only because it can put students at ease about operating in the target language, but adults need lessons and drills for grammar and vocab – period.

Bonus language learning the cheap way: Found a Spanish language National Geographic in a little free library near me. Score! Free reading material, and it’s very different from the book I’m currently reading, which is a children’s chapter book. (Honestly, I think NatGeo will be easier – a lot of fancy Latinate vocab shared with English, compared to the kids’ book where the English counterparts are Germanic, and there’s a lot of Arabic vocab in the Spanish.)

6 Likes

I wonder about doing the immersive exercises after a certain level of structured learning? Past a certain point duo just bores me

4 Likes