Language Learning The Cheap Way

I speak Esperanto, I’m currently learning Russian, and I took some Italian in college which I’d like to get back to someday.
I think Lernu is better than Duolingo for aspiring Esperantists. Also, I have a standing offer open that I will teach the rudiments of Esperanto to anybody here who’s interested.
For Russian, I’m working my way through an online textbook and reading some young adult novels. I’m pretty good about getting in practice with reading and listening, but I know my speaking ability suffers because I’m shy in person.

5 Likes

This is a very basic question but I haven’t ever done if effectively… what does your notes set up look like for language learning? Flash cards? Dedicated notebook (if so, how to structure?)

2 Likes

I use flash cards for basic vocabulary practice, which are of course reviewed. Notes on usage of a particular word (appropriate context, register, etc) are more likely to show up on the back of a flash card than in a notebook.

My notes tend to be very limited. I use notes almost exclusively as a quick reference; I don’t review them the way I would a flash card. For grammar, I tend to write out the grammatical form I’m targeting (say a verb conjugation); give a table for it if appropriate, including common irregulars; briefly describe the semantics of the grammatical form; write some examples in context; done.

More in-depth notes are very rare, and would usually focus on usage of a particularly tricky form and give many, many examples.

I do use notebooks for other things – for example, if I’m learning new bits of grammar, I drill the SHIT out of it, and I’ll use the notebook to create new drills if I need them (which I can then run on myself or get someone else to run on me) and I’ll use it to practice – doing written drills, practicing handwriting in a new writing system, practice long-form writing in the target language, etc.

4 Likes

I put vocabulary, basic grammar structures, and fill-in-the-blank example sentences into flash cards - I find Anki works well for me, but that’s probably because I have the type of personality that likes answering quizzes (I was almost a contestant on Jeopardy! once) and I have a long commute that provides me with built-in study time.

3 Likes

Ok! So I did some of my japanese studying today and I am noticing that my grammar is getting to the point where it is useful, but I need to build up my vocab knowledge in two ways: 1) knowing how to say the actual word and 2) knowing how to write the actual word (in hiragana and kanji).

I have an SRS program (wanikani) for recognition of vocab, but writing the kanji is going to require drilling because recognition seems to be one thing my brain does fine but I can’t recall the exact kanji when I want to write it.

Any japanese/chinese language learners have advice for that?

1 Like

I am terrible at kanji, so take every bit of advice from me with minimally a cup of salt.

Things I do find helpful:

1. When I’m first learning a kanji, I drill it in a specific word, not individually – trying to learn all the meanings and pronunciations of a new kanji all at once kills me. Brain can’t do it.
  2. As I go through a flashcard deck, I’ll write anything in kanji out several times while saying the word out loud.
  3. Reading a text out and then copying it while reading it out again.
  4. Writing out my own dang things (especially helpful when in a class where I can also get grammar and vocab critique)
  5. Once I do learn a kanji to a minimal degree (i.e. once I have its original context word down), I try to learn some of its other meanings and pronunciations, and to note if any of its radicals are helpful in remembering its meanings/pronunciations.
  6. Endless motherfucking repetition.
2 Likes

Thank you @diapasoun! That is very helpful.

I did my japanese today! Maybe I should join the habitica group instead for check ins like this - i think we have an OMD group?

3 Likes

So this thread is for the cheap way but y’all know me…

I bought the full Rosetta Stone suite of languages with lifetime access for my wife’s birthday. She’s thrilled and I’m looking forward to getting back into it as well. I was decent with Japanese at one point, fluent in Greek, and alright with Spanish long ago, but it’s been a decade since I practiced anything.

5 Likes

Wow! Why/how greek? very cool to see so many japanese learners.

2 Likes

So… in high school I had the option to take a “Bible” class or learn classical greek. I did 3 years of that, then decided it would be cool to … like… be able to talk to someone who is alive now so I began learning the modern stuff on my own. It was neat and often a relief from all the math and chemistry classes I was taking. (Not that I dislike math, but in high school there was only so much I wanted to see any given day)

2 Likes

Yeah, I love how many of us are doing Japanese!

I’m fine for check-ins here if people want it – accountability is good. (Speaking of, today I practiced my Spanish flashcards and read a little out loud.)

1 Like

I find greek so challenging. My grandmother (ya-ya) was from Larissa, Greece and all I can do is count to ten, say “I don’t eat dead animals” and say Happy Easter. :joy:

I’m eager to know how you like Rosetta Stone. I’m considering shelling out for Pimsleur which is a competitor and the only language learning app I’ve found with croatian.

5 Likes

I did my Japanese today! It’s so funny to look at these lyrics I printed out because I know … ONE kanji… LOL. That is it.

5 Likes

Japanese Duolingo practice for reading. I really need to start drilling kanji flash cards. Uuuuugh.

2 Likes

Today I was wondering why this woman was singing about “meat” (niku) and it turns out she was saying “hatred” (niiku).

So thats a fun way to learn that word. Mnemonic - Lily hates meat, sung to the tune of this song. (And whoever else here is a vegan that I am unaware of).

4 Likes

:wave:t2:

4 Likes

weeeell you too then! XD

3 Likes

Ahhhh long vowels. Long vowels + geminates + pitch accents is a true hilariousness. Kita v kita v kiita v kitta…

1 Like

So, after a few weeks with Rosetta, the verdict is… it’s fine? I don’t care for their stuff. I like to know grammar, structure, etc and they’re more interested in the sort of immersive learning gimmick that needs 1. full immersion
2. A child brain (this is up for debate, but most of what I read agrees with this)

So, it’s fine, but really not getting much more out of it than Duo Lingo. For $200, I’d say it’s not worth the investment.

5 Likes

Yeah I prefer Duolingo as well. The Rosetta Stone program just got on my nerves.

1 Like