Kids Media That Doesn't Suck!

We got this for boy:

Put it in this:

It had a bunch of parent settings like limiting apps, and overall screen time.

Uses Google Kids Space with some pretty good patent controls. Also teamed up with YouTube kids.

Add this:

To alleviate guilt that boy has own tablet for exclusively watching YouTube.

And because no one should hear the bullshit they watch:

4 Likes

Much appreciated. Im hoping to get an ipad for work and we will be buying a family one at the same time, this looks good.

4 Likes

Pretty cool channel with stories kid can listen to. Puts words up on the screen and highlights them as the person reads.

5 Likes

For those looking for movie ideas, huge plug for Sound of Music. My kids are BOTH obsessed.
They have the entire soundtrack memorized now. They havenā€™t noticed that some of the songs they sing theyā€™ve never seen in the movieā€¦ Itā€™s so long we turn it off at intermission, so thus far, there are no bad guys in the sound of music.

Iā€™m looking for app suggestions for a 5-year old, that are more ā€œgrown upā€. Summer camp lets them bring a device on Tuesday for 20 minutes of electronics time post lunch. She has all the sago mini apps, and RV app studio games (ad free, no in app purchases!); but I worry those are ā€œbabyā€ and she will be teased.

The apps she likes to play at home (Exit, Love and Pies, or whatever that app is where you fill in the pieces of a picture) she needs help with either because it is hard (Exits) or because she needs reminder to not touch an ad, to close notifications to spend money, or just help with strategy to complete a level.

Or is there something like a nintendo DS that has a stand alone game she would be able to play? She can play some nintendo games, but still really needs help with controls.

I honestly DONā€™T want her to have app time, and donā€™t send it on the school closed days, but for summer camp, it seems like she will stand out.

3 Likes

I dunno if this is the right space, but seems cool:

https://26033.blackbaudhosting.com/26033/Discovery-Museum-2023-Speaker-Series-Teaching-Todays-Kids-to-Spot-Tomorrows-Fake-News

2 Likes

I signed up! Hopefully itā€™s recorded, I will probably miss at least part of it.

1 Like

Watch Hilda | Netflix Official Site Watch Hilda | Netflix Official Site

This show is so, so, so good. Iā€™m sad it will only have 3 seasons. The art, the setting, the music, are all so comforting and lovely. Ages 6-7.

Itā€™s about a girl who lives with her mom in some Scandinavian woods full of magical creatures. Antics and so on means that she moves to the closest city with her mom and makes friends with human kids for the first time - and also more magic!

4 Likes

Ridley Jones is a fun Indiana Jones style, sort of A Night At The Museum. Its fun, does some stuff about teamwork, and has a transgender bison for whom being trans is normally not the focus of the character but sometimes is.
Shown on Netflix.

1 Like

My 2.5yo was enthralled by this 8 minute short about a turtle hatchling who encounters lots of human-caused obstacles, but eventually makes it to the sea. Iā€™m not crying, youā€™re crying.

5 Likes

I canā€™t remember if anyone has said these, but number blocks/alphablocks.

I donā€™t pay attention to them, but they buy me time. Huge downside is half an hour of listening to kid practicing skills when he is unwinding for bed.

5 Likes

Numberblocks has staying power too, Kiddo has been revisiting it lately as heā€™s doing multiplication in third grade, especially the episodes that touch on those subjects (groups of tens 50-100, how twelve dots can be 3x4 or 4x3 or 2x6 or 6x2).

I donā€™t see Storybots mentioned on this thread, thatā€™s also a sure winner in our household but is probably better for five and up? If you have littler kids and they like Storybots let me know, Iā€™ve already lost my fine tuning on what media level is good for those ages. The animation may still catch their interest but the topics might go over their heads. In the more recent seasons they go over taxes in one episode and budgeting in another one and I was really wondering if they were stealthily trying to educate adults and if the kids happen to learn something then thatā€™s a nice bonus. :joy: The taxes one is probably my favorite because they also reference The Shining and itā€™s hilarious.

4 Likes

My 4 year old likes it, but itā€™s only because her brother (7) likes it, and because of the silly interludes. Thereā€™s no way she actually understands most of the episodes, lol.

Itā€™s a fun show, though! I also like to watch it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wanted to share this truly hilarious kids song from Blazer Fresh:

Havenā€™t yet listened to the entire album on Spotify but this is great so far.

3 Likes

GoNoodle is full of sneaky, catchy, teaching songs.

My 7 year old loves the Guacamole song, but itā€™s really a song to teach how many days are in each month, haha. They get all excited about leap years because thereā€™s an extra day in February to eat guac
:joy: This one is much better.

3 Likes