Job Hunting Support Group

I haven’t applied for two jobs yet for this week for unemployment. I have to do it and I don’t wanna. :frowning:

11 Likes

You have to apply, but you don’t have to apply well…

8 Likes

Anyone have experience in hiring in public school systems? I have an interview this week. I had a bunch last summer and didn’t get a job. I know I’m qualified and look good on paper, and I theoretically have good answers to questions. I’m afraid that I look good on paper and then people meet me and their opinion of me goes down. From a “vibes” perspective or something, idk. Probably there were other more qualified candidates, is more likely, but a girl can worry!

So I guess my question is: how have people impressed you in interviews, ASIDE from the content of what they say (which I know should be most important)?

6 Likes

I am not associated with the public school system, but as a hiring manager - it sounds really petty, but be careful about sighing. People who take a deep/shallow breath and then quick sigh/heavy exhale just before answering a behavioural question or even the standard ‘tell us about yourself’’ have trouble counteracting the narrative that they are too burned out to engage in the new role, regardless of their actual answers.

5 Likes

Is this for a teaching or non-teaching job? I don’t really have any useful advice, but I used to participate in panel interviews sometimes hiring for non-teaching central office jobs for a public school system. I don’t know how standardized this is, but in our system interviewing was pretty rigid. Every candidate had to be asked the exact same set of questions and we weren’t really supposed to ask follow-up questions. We also always gave the list of questions to candidates 10 or 15 minutes before the interview started so they knew what to expect.

And this probably depends on the type of position and on the system in question, but we had mostly internal hires and people moving around within the same school system so I think a lot of hiring decisions were made based on prior reputation rather than on the interview itself to be honest. Even for external hires, there was often someone in the system who had worked with them previously and those recommendations carried a lot of weight.

6 Likes

Ahh gotcha! I would never have thought of this and it’s super helpful. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s for a teaching job. And yes, all the interviews I’ve had previously were very rigid, no follow-up questions, etc. And that’s helpful to hear about internal hires and reputation. Things I have no control over.

I love it when they give me the questions to look over for a few minutes. Not everyone does that but I wish they did!

3 Likes

I have created a dumb account to host my application materials required by this job. Including three reference letter requests. Sent those. Sadly one of the ppl I wanted to ask is on parental leave so I had to go to the second string. Man all my previous employment was almost 7 years ago at this point

8 Likes

Anyone who has left current job who can speak to what you have been doing?

2 Likes

Ugh the thing is…I dislike all the managers I’ve had here except one and he’s still here :confused:

Was going to go with friend who is a supervisor now but he’s the one on leave. I could ask a peer (at same level in the org) but it feels less impactful? Maybe I’m overthinking.

3 Likes

Obviously you want to be sensitive to parental leave and not contact him for work questions…but depending on your relationship you could send a note on LinkedIn and ask if he would be willing to be contacted as a reference while he’s on leave there’s a personal email address you could use.

6 Likes

I am on a texting basis with him, but it feels like a big ask for someone with a newborn!

3 Likes

I’ve happily been a reference check for someone while I was on leave. The calls are super short – like 5-15 mins – and it’s a nice break from the routine! Can’t speak for him, but it doesn’t seem intrusive to ask.

5 Likes

This is a letter unfortunately, a little heavier of a lift

2 Likes

Oh, sorry I missed that part. I still think it wouldn’t be offensive to ask (maybe with some couching like “this might not work with your current responsibilities so no pressure at all but…”).

5 Likes

Can you write the letter for them, so it isn’t as big a lift?

4 Likes

Ohhh an old manager of mine, who I think had a good opinion of me even if I didn’t love him, is leaving the company! Another reference I can approach!

9 Likes

I was sure more time than 6 days had passed so good on me for sending a feeler email out today to this guy!

6 Likes

I received a rejection yesterday and I’m bummed about it. I interviewed and did a demo lesson for a teaching job. The principal told me that my interview and lesson were both really good, but they wanted to replace the teacher who’s leaving with someone with as much experience as her, aka lots. (So I’m like… why did you interview me in the first place)

Also he encouraged me to return to substitute in the future. :neutral_face: Both encouraging and a letdown at the same time

11 Likes

Found two jobs to apply for! One in the city and one juuuust outside of it but on the far north side, and we’ve always talked about moving closer to the lake…downside would be a longer drive to my parents

14 Likes