Job Hunting Support Group

Sending lots and lots of good luck vibes your way!

Heck yes!! I love that portion because it’s just them calling to make sure you’re a Real Human Person and all your work is done (until you get the job)!

2 Likes

I think I applied for unemployment today? I’m not quite sure, honestly. The system is weird. I filled out lots of forms and gave a bunch of information, on two different websites. But I’m not sure I actually made a claim.

9 Likes

You made progress! Perhaps there is a number to call to verify? But also ew, phone calls to the government :confused:

3 Likes

They said I will get something in the mail. But is it needed first? Is it superfluous? I don’t know!

2 Likes

Pleased to announce I have graduated from job hunting to employed!

23 Likes

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!

1 Like

Didn’t manage to apply for another job this week. Feeling glum about it

7 Likes

Oh yay!!!

1 Like

That is amazing! Way to go!

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Omg!!! Congrats that’s amazing!

1 Like

FUCK YES

1 Like

Yesss!!! Well done! :smiley:

1 Like

I am applying for some academic library positions and have never done a CV. I do have a pretty solid resume for public library work though.

I muddled through a draft with some recommended formatting from a quick search, but does anyone have any preferred CV making guides? Especially when the academic experience is limited & you’re crossing over from another sphere.

3 Likes

I am having this same situation and @diapasoun i think has some experience with this!

4 Likes

Yeah a little! Mostly going the opposite direction but:

• CVs are expected to be everything, not a highlight reel like a resume.
  • Sections often include: education (potentially including relevant coursework if you need to pad the CV out); teaching; presentations; publications; grants; special skills (put things like languages here).
2 Likes

I have a lot of experience doing presentations but only a little at field-related conferences, mostly it’s been something like one-shot topic instruction for public audiences. I wasn’t sure how or if to represent it on a CV other than under my professional/“industry” experience.

2 Likes

imo public comms is harder / more important than industry presentations, because you have to translate and connect, so make sure you don’t dismiss that value to yourself and others

4 Likes

Yeah, include the public comms! You can make it a “public outreach” section – that is a valuable and difficult skill.

5 Likes