IRS says wait on amended return if you filed already and had unemployment

IRS is still figuring the new Covid relief out and says hold off on amended returns.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I have been helping my parents with their taxes and they have been wondering what to do!

2 Likes

This is my punishment for wanting to file early this year. :roll_eyes: Thanks for the update!

2 Likes

I would’ve been right there with you except for the stupid identity theft issue with the department of labor which means we still don’t have that 1099.

1 Like

Ha, Boyfriend is pretty pissed off that he did so as well.
Hopefully it’s sorted soon and he gets some of the $800 and change he owed on his unemployment back.

FYI if you haven’t hit the submit button for your taxes yet Credit Karmas tax software has been updated with the new legislation. I used that for my parents and they had not yet submitted. We didn’t have to do anything extra to update it it just showed new amounts owed.

2 Likes

TaxACT is updated, too.

1 Like

Has anyone gotten a second refund from the IRS because of this? Still waiting.

We hadn’t yet filed when they made the change because of stolen identity issues meaning we didn’t get his 1099 on time (since resolved), so haven’t been waiting for one, sorry. I am seeing some folks still waiting for any refund at all over at MMM.

1 Like

I’ve received my state refund but not federal.

1 Like

My situation is that I filed assuming unemployment was taxed, so now I need an amended return. I got my first regular return but not this second amended one. But I sure would like it!

3 Likes

Yep, in a very weird way the thief did us a favor, because they didn’t get any money out of the deal (just his 1099, which would have been very bad except we both have our credit frozen). So it was all so late we knew the unemployment wouldn’t be taxed.

Hope your second refund comes soon!

1 Like

Did your boyfriend ever get this?

Still waiting over here…

Nope! Still waiting.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for us!

1 Like

Update:

1 Like

Hooray! Boyfriend got a big fat refund check today.

3 Likes

Nice! I hope I get mine this week!

1 Like

It was bigger than we thought, too! Somehow I thought he’d just get the amount he had to pay when he filed his return, but it looks like they also gave back what was taken out of his checks? Nice!

2 Likes