Intuit buys Credit Karma

Posted about this in the other place, but thought we might be interested as well. Seems to me this is not a win for consumers, and frankly I think I’m glad I never signed up for Credit Karma and gave them all my data.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/24/intuit-credit-karma/amp/

4 Likes

I do not like Intuit for many reasons, and agree that this does not seem to be a win for consumers.

That stinks. I abandoned TurboTax last year due to their shenanigans with hiding free filing to do my taxes through Credit Karma, and did again this year. Plus, I just liked using Credit Karma to check my scores easily and look at changes.

3 Likes

Yes, my first thought when I saw this was “there goes Intuit taking away free tax prep - again.” I think TurboTax was losing market share to the free tax prep offered by Credit Karma. And you know how they walk all over anyone who tries to make tax filing free.

I only (reluctantly) did this a few years ago then the first released the free tax prep and I hadn’t yet learned how to file using freefillableforms. But now they have everything :cry:

And I had divested myself of all things Intuit (stopped using TurboTax, they sold off Quicken, etc.) Not anymore.

3 Likes

Wooooowwww I’m not a fan. Use credit karma all the time to check my score, and filed my '19 taxes with them. I was actually considering opening the high yield savings they offer too.

2 Likes

Yea, I’m not in love with this. It seems like they are acquiring them out of a fear that they will disrupt the tax prep market like they disrupted the credit monitoring market.

2 Likes

Although now in finally reading the article I realize that Intuit has Mint, which can be pried from my cold, dead fingers, so maybe I’m not opposed to the Intuit-owning-things idea as much as I am the tax-filing shenanigans past, present, and possibly future.

2 Likes

And now credit karma is in trouble for using dark patterns to get people to apply for cards they don’t qualify for. Made credit Karma money on the clicks through but hurt peoples [scores.Credit Karma Hurt People’s Credit Scores Using Dark Patterns, FTC Alleges - VICE
@anomalily

2 Likes