Introduce Yourself Here

Hi everyone!

I’m Hirondelle. I’ve been lurking for a long time and reading along, but notice myself getting shy to contribute.

I used to be active on MMM but quit during early COVID days as the environment got toxic to me and I spent to much time reading in the WFH days. Got however curious how people were doing and checked in here to read along as that allowed me to see familiar names without the toxic stuff.

About me:
European, late 20s, about to lose my job as I’m finishing up a PhD which is a job with a Real Salary And Benefits here. Doubting about finding a New Job soon vs having a break (originally wanted a long travel break, but ya know, COVID and border closures…).

28 Likes

Hello! Congrats on finishing up your PHD Dr Hirondelle! Nice to see you around these parts.

What kind of travel were you hoping to do post grad school? Around Europe or abroad?

5 Likes

Hey I remember you! Welcome welcome. Congratulations on finishing the PhD!

5 Likes

Hello! :tada: Congratulations on your PhD!

2 Likes

Hi Hirondelle! Lovely to see you

3 Likes

I remember you too! Congratulations on finishing up your PhD - it really can be such a grind (my spouse got a PhD, advisor got super petty about edits at the end - which seems to be typical according to anecdata I have collected).

Welcome.

4 Likes

Hi all! Such a warm welcome. Not too fast on the congratulations though - the PhD contract may end but the thesis ain’t finished yet (this may be different from how it works in the Americas, I’m not sure) so the festivities need to wait a little longer.

Original travel plans were mostly about visiting friends in Asia but the borders relevant to me are so far all closed. I’m exploring alternative options though, will get to that in other threads I guess :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hey!! I missed following your journal over on MMM. Congrats on being almost-done with the PhD.

Congrats on getting through most of it anyway - sounds much like a PhD here except the pay is very small and there are few benefits. Here in Australia the thesis edits and submission can also blow out way past the actual enrolled time.

4 Likes

Hi I’m DivineMissEm in Northern California. I have been living paycheck to paycheck since the start of my adulthood (except for a specific period of time from 2017-2019) and I have good Ole’ California to thank for that, as well the morally REWARDING jobs I’ve held throughout the years working for philanthropic organizations and NPOs who paid me basically nothing in exchange for my soul! I’m now in Burn Out Mode and I have left the work force of my industry, trying to get by with a “lifestyle” job in the Gig Economy just to pay my bills while I work on my mental health and figuring out my bigger life purpose. Part of this involves being self-employed as a freelancer and also trying to navigate finances as “an adult” so…here I am! To learn all the things they didn’t teach us in high school during the 90s.

26 Likes

Welcome!

Just always remember that you are divine!

1 Like

Hello! Been lurking over here for a bit (after having been a long-time lurker at the Billfold and an OMD podcast listener) and figure I might actually… start posting? Have a few big life changes coming up that mean that I have no clue what my financial situation will be in the second half of the year, so that’s fun!

I’m an early 30s Midwest city-dweller (she/hers). In 2019 I left the very stable job I’d had for most of my adult life to go to grad school, got a Master’s degree mid-COVID, and since then have been working for the same organization as an independent contractor, but with a contract that will be ending in July after having been renewed a few times already. Which is fine by me, because my partner has accepted a job teaching at an international school, so in August we will be moving to the Middle East! And getting married in July, partly for visa reasons for the above and partly because after 8 years together and being pretty uninterested in marriage previously it actually felt like the right time for us. We’ve lived together for a while but have always kept finances pretty separate, so it will be interesting to see how that changes, especially if it takes me a while to find a new job after moving, which is very possible. We’re already very aware of some personal differences in how we deal with money, so definitely anticipating some more conversations along those lines as we figure out how we want to deal with finances moving forward.

34 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Hi!

1 Like

Hello and welcome!!

1 Like

Hello! Just married Midwestern city-dweller here! Your move sounds exciting!

1 Like

Thanks all for the welcome!

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’m Rachel! New to consistent budgeting in the last year and here for Budgetober! I’m a YNAB fanatic but definitely finding myself borrowing from categories I’d like to be paying debt in. I’m not making any more debt but I have a bunch more personal loan debt to pay down, and I’d like to really figure out the WHOLE month and really seriously stick to it. The trouble I foresee is that I budget check to check, and budgetober is a whole month. But I would like to try, even if it’s a spreadsheet outside of YNAB itself.

21 Likes

Hi! Welcome!

1 Like