I'm old; please translate (ELI95)

OK, so I miss a lot of cultural references. It’s getting worse. Herein I shall post my confusion in hopes that some kind soul will help. Explanations or other confusions welcomed.

7 Likes

Confusion number one: making money off of growing emoji?
https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/the-pdms-are-growing-zucchini-and-having-a-baby/405/2545?u=rural

I assume emoticons are profitable. PDM posted a photo of toddler PDM holding an eggplant (a common emoticon used to represent male genitalia). GJT teased him about growing emojis in his garden…

3 Likes

Seems like there should be an ELI95^ Internet thing too

^There’s ELI5 (explain it like I’m 5 years old), I think we need the other end covered - explain it like I’m 95 years old! I look up so many acronyms!

3 Likes

Oh. OK. I actually knew what the emoji was! It was the profit that got me.

One side effect of needing ELI95 is that sometimes you assume there’s more going on than there really is, that you’re missing some thing you’ve actually more or less figured out.

9 Likes

I guess I need this thread because I obviously had no clue what that represented.

1 Like

I am old too - but my spirit guide is a 13 yo boy with a dirty mind…

I look up many internet acronyms, some I then remember, others I have to look up again. It’s OK.

I no longer recognize many “celebrities” I see online or on TV or hear about on the radio.

4 Likes

I keep wondering how this old thingy ever happened :joy:. It definitely snuck up on me.

3 Likes

I don’t know if you can see it given how small it is, but my avatar has a word banner across it that reads “I thought getting old would take longer.”

3 Likes

I’m in. As a prolific meme share-r, I often have to try to intuit or look up what The Kids are talking about :joy: I’ll help with explanations where I can.

3 Likes

No I never noticed it. I have decided that growing older is denied to many so I will embrace it. My mom and grandparents were great role models for still enjoying life no matter what.

4 Likes

I may grow older but I will never grow up. That isn’t always a good thing (emotional maturity -cough-)

6 Likes