I Will Teach You to Be Rich: Podcast Gossip and Discussion

I love it.
The second one:
Est. Mortgage $2,692/mo*

I’m from a HCOL area, so this price does not strike me as unreasonable.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks like there are a lot of large homes in that area that are around $300k and even under. I imagine the neighborhoods are different though, and maybe school districts. I just wondered if there were even options for that size of home for a lot less money, and there are!

6 Likes

I just checked and the trulia estimated mortgage calculator is also using over 6% for the interest rate. If they just bought the house a year to two ago when the rates were good they could be in a $700k house for that mortgage payment. The rate on my mortgage is 2.675%.

My assumption upon hearing Iowa was that they were in a $300-$400k house.

5 Likes

Hmm, maybe after tax season…

It’s conspicuously empty after:

Here are positions we have available.

6 Likes

Fixed vs guilt free … maybe these are the terms he used/taught in University 20 years ago before he knew there was already a definition of fixed costs. And he doesn’t want to adapt

6 Likes

I just met with an old buddy I knew from work and he said he’s really bad with money and didn’t start saving until recently (he’s almost 50). He said when he sold his stocks the money went into a separate account and he just never paid attention and assumed it were going to his bank. So it was a big surprise later to find out that he had a big stash of money! Also he assumed that he had never contributed to his 401K but luckily his ex-wife had set it up for him at 15% of his paycheck.

And then he was telling me that he had considered getting a different house and he was talking about what his monthly payment was instead of realizing that he would be paying much more due to higher interest rates. He’s a smart engineer with no financial literacy at all.

10 Likes

Im crying :joy::sob::rofl::joy:

Dads of youtube make a target support group

13 Likes

Bahahahaha this is excellent

4 Likes

I love the video (I have seen it before), but I really love the internet. Here you are, on the other side of the planet, sharing a video that features a comedian I follow from the state where I live!

7 Likes

Right?! The internet is amazing!

2 Likes

I love the guy who started returning carts :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m listening to this week’s episode and at 4:30 there is a legit ad for a life insurance company. I do not like this Ramit. Ugh…then there is one for a drink!

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood. I guess my other podcasts tend to have ads as well, like Sawbones, but not so early in the episode.

5 Likes

Y’all - the bad coworker has had some very tough conversations with his supervisor and he is honestly really trying now. However, he keeps making mistakes because he just isn’t detail oriented. It’s not my job to catch his mistakes but i’m still stuck everything to make sure it’s all billing correctly. He was honestly so proud that he got one contact set up and approved through our system and he sent it to me. It had the wrong start date - 1/1/23 instead of 4/1/23 :woman_facepalming:

Haha- totally meant to post this in my journal :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

BIG TW for suicide and life-threatening health issues in the latest episode.

4 Likes

Ooo, thanks! <3

The episode today was interesting. I agree that there are now SO MANY ADS. But like I guess compared to normal podcasts it’s fine?

I think they come to a good place at the end. It is hard to listen to how they have money conversations. I think a good reminder for everyone to evaluate our beliefs and what we get my sticking to them.

I wish they would have gotten more into how the guy’s beliefs in the fact “he has to make his own money/success to be happy” impacts his wife and the mother of their kids. Like dude, that’s so selfish. And hurtful. I would be so upset if my husband was a whiny child about making it on his own when we are a team. I want to support him in feeling fulfilled and happy, but I would want him to support me too.

I have so many friends who are indecisive. I myself can be sometimes. I often wonder what we gain from indecision. I have been really trying to use the mantra “don’t let perfect get in the way of good/done” and it serves me well. Sure I screw up more and make mistakes, but I don’t stay stuck as often either.

Also I looked up Ramit’s net worth. Google says >$25M. Do y’all really think he is managing that all on his own or only investing in index funds? Seems sketchy to me that he wouldn’t be hiring out help to manage his money. Idk why I can’t let this go lol.

10 Likes

If I had that kind of net worth and any money savvy (as he believes he does), I would no way be hiring out the management. That seems like a good way to get taken for a ride. Maybe that’s naive of me. I would have someone doing my taxes though.

4 Likes

I’m 30 minutes into the episode and it is driving me nuts. This man does not approach his relationship as a team at all. It sounds like he doesn’t have much self confidence either, because of it. I truly believe in a marriage where only one spouse has an income they have to approach their finances as a combined team. There is no other way to do it and to have a healthy marriage.

5 Likes

I’m listening too and I find this really interesting! This guy is in the homemaker role and IMO is struggling because it’s so undervalued in our society. We basically worship academic and professional success and totally look down on everything else. He doesn’t value his own role because it’s not valued in larger society. It’s telling when he says that his role of parenting/homemaking “doesn’t count”, and that he isn’t “just a house husband”, etc.

I kind of relate! People definitely look down on people in this role and so it’s hard to feel like what you’re doing matters. Especially how he says “everyone does this” in terms of parenting/homemaking and why it doesn’t count. I find that’s common because people who work for money are always quick to tell full time house spouses like us, “well I work full-time and do all that stuff too,” i.e. that they make lots of money AND do all the stuff we do, implying it’s not a real job since they can do it in their spare time while also working for pay.

There are few things I’m as self-conscious about as not making money. I still sometimes lie and say I work because the judgment from other people is so intense. Even the way people talk to me is so different now vs. when I was working. People think you’re basically a leech, lol, or “not contributing”, or stupid, unambitious, controlled, etc. It’s hard to have respect for what you do when no one else respects it!

16 Likes

Yesterday’s episode - Darcy and Kirsten -

This one kind of screamed to me - they need to get child care.
They’ve got a system where he’s taking care of the kids, and he doesn’t feel fulfilled.
OK I think there’s a whole lot we can unpack here about gender role’s and work that’s usually done by women being undervalued. Setting that aside and making my next comment gender-neutral:

Some people love being a stay-at-home parent and are fulfilled by it, and some hate it and are much, much happiper going back to work.

He clearly is in the latter category (though his Youtube work sounds more like a Hobby than a business, we’ve had that discussion before).

So. Get some childcare, and go to work and make some money.

4 Likes