How do you even answer that?

I ADORE your Child’s understanding of genetics. And I feel like you handled that really well.

3 Likes

“Dad, I’d like to have chocolate powder on my babyccino this morning please, because I’m sick”

Yay polite request! What does chocolate powder have to do with being sick?

6 Likes

We watched Finding Nemo today. Remember the scene where Marlin and his wife, Coral, try to fight off the Barracuda to protect their babies, and Coral doesn’t make it? Well my son laughs through the entire thing, because there’s action,! Excitement! What a game it all is!

Well. Today, after that scene, he sounded very confused and asked,
“Where did Coral go?”

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

“Well, baby, the Barracuda ate her. Barracudas eat fish.”

He was very, very quiet for a while…

11 Likes

Oh no.

7 Likes

Oh baby.

3 Likes

Oh dear.

4 Likes

Making tea for Pikelet (4) and I…

“Mum does this tea have caffeine?”
“No”
“Phew, I definitely don’t need any more caffeine today”
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

13 Likes

I don’t remember any of the questions, except for one. But I remember being really frustrtrated that I couldn’t remember all the questions people told me they’d give me answers to when I was older! One thing I vowed to do for my kid was make a list of those questions.

The question I asked, of my dad with a Masters from Caltech in Mechanical Engineering was: why does the car go?

Dad would give me the same spiel over and over about drive trains, pistons, compression, torque and it all floated out of the stratosphere above my head. It did NOT answer my question.

I kept asking and he kept giving me the same, complete answer that wasn’t the answer I needed. Then one day he “got” that unlike a Caltech freshman, I did NOT know how levers, gravity, expansion of gasses, etc. worked. To me, the car was “magic” because you took an ounce or two of metal, put it in a hole, applied very little pressure and a ton o’ stuff would move.

Isn’t that magic?

So, he finally gave the lecture on beginning mechanics I hadn’t had and tied it to the explanation of how the systems in a car work, which I’d had too much.

Very valuable lesson there. Used it all the time when I was a Tech Writer, although I got in trouble for not talking to advanced readers enough.

9 Likes

Actual conversation:
Boy “Can you do stand up poos? I’m going to do one”
Me “No, you can do stand up wees but not poos. We do sit down poos”
Boy “No, you can.”
Me “Where did you get that idea?”
Boy “A long time ago I had a toilet with a sticker on it that said 'you have to do a stand up poo in the toilet”

Safe to say, we nipped stand up poo is the bum. I don’t need that mess. Its not entirely clear what he had in mind - I suspect he wanted to stand on the seat and sort of drop bombs?

11 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Your child may have spoken to my child recently, we’ve had that same conversation within the last week.

7 Likes

I’m.sorry, it’s our fault. Our child exclusively stand up poops.

6 Likes

Pumpkin definitely stand up poops.

4 Likes

Team squat and play poops.over here. Didn’t get playtime before school today so had to warn them of an incoming explosion

6 Likes

This is a very common refrain from boy PDM. He makes wild claims about things he’s done and places his been. eg
“Dad, have you done scuba?”
“yes, I went scuba diving in thailand”
“I went scuba diving in Thailand too”
“Oh did you?”
“yes, a long time ago when I was a grown up”

Every damn time. He’s lived another life. Or maybe is just a filthy liar.

10 Likes

@Elle @LadyDuck @Meowkins
It’s all fine and dandy when they’re wearing a nappy. Boy PDM is pretty much toilet trained now (thank god) so should be focusing on sit down poos.

8 Likes

Oh I know that. I’m hoping for your sake Boy PDM doesn’t decide it’s a good idea to try when parents aren’t supervising…

7 Likes

He did an unsupervised poo earlier tonight. Let’s just say he is enthusiastic about toilet paper use and flushing “Dad, I used a lot of paper.” Yes. Yes you did bud.

11 Likes

Thank you! Yes I would love you to come train :lion: kid. He’s free all of December, we’ll pay for your covid tests and meals out

7 Likes

Oh is @pdm training all the OMD toddlers? Put next on your potty training tour! Hope you like cats!

8 Likes