Grocery Spending 2023

Yes, do a delivery/pickup! Make it easy on yourself!

2 Likes

That’s huge!

3 Likes

All hail the delivery for coming when we need it!

1 Like

$502 as of the 17th of the month. Good thing it’s a short month. And we do have a lot of food in the fridge - probably at risk of going off at this point, so I need to figure that out this weekend.

And trying to decide whether to get white sugar at 2.49 or hold out and hope for a 1.99 sale closer to easter. I think just get it, and then I can make marmalade without worrying about using up all the sugar.

5 Likes

Aaaaah. G vetoed delivery due to substitutions. But then went and spent 177 and tried really hard but got like 5 month supplies of some things, and only 2 quick easy meals. So now we are waiting for an $90 instacart order and hoping for the best. And I had to try and figure out if walmart or instacart was better. Like please can I just be sick?

6 Likes

Ok! I just did a Walmart order for pickup since we needed some household things. I spent $97 on food for the week, which I’m really happy with. This week I also ate out twice (!) once for Valentine’s Dinner ($60) and once today for lunch solo ($17).

4 Likes

$11.73!!!

13 Likes

I just spent $38 on coffee (5x$5) and chocolate ($2+tax x6).

This takes us to $622 on the month - $200 for restaurants or coffee shops and $422 for groceries. We will probably shop once more this month.

5 Likes

Catching up since I just did my last (theoretically last) February shopping trip today.

To catch up, January spending on food was $47.85 on groceries and $58 on other (trivia and a couple happy hours). This was/is ridiculously artificially low for me, but I’d both done a big stock up at the end of December and also needed to start eating down the pantry.

For February I’m at $81.12 on groceries and $116.6 for other ($35 for my portion of a birthday dinner for a friend and $10 for girl scout cookies, the rest was the usual trivia/happy hours). Still a little low, but as of a couple days ago I’m house-sitting for a friend for the next 6ish weeks, and along with the request to swing by a few times a week and make sure the house is still standing and check the mail/pass along any tax stuff to his accountant was a ‘please make sure my fridge doesn’t start restocking itself before I get back’ so I’ve acquired more potatoes, apples, some cuties, most of a block of cheese, some milk and orange juice, and a few days of prepared lunches. So those are helping with the end of this month and start of next.

I’m trying to keep discretionary spending way down this year since I just got to get a new car, so hoping I can keep things averaging around $200/mo.

5 Likes

Yesterday was the last grocery trip of the month. $59 for this week’s groceries, which brings the monthly total to $437! That is the lowest we have had in a few years. Yes, we had $230 of “free” spending at Costco from the cc rebate, so that is why. However, we splurged and stocked up on a few things using that and we actually would have still come in under budget even if we didn’t have it! We are $263 under budget.

We also stayed under in eating out. $261 for the month, so $39 under budget.

8 Likes

I spent a grand total of $375 on groceries this month! (household of 2 adults)

I also spent $77 in restaurants.

I’m really pleased! I feel like I definitely compensated for my high week (last month I had a week where I spent $220 on specialty items). I feel like posting here is definitely keeping me accountable and encouraging me to use what I have on hand. Yay! I’m kind of amazed it’s so low though. I feel like I splurged a lot. I wonder if this will be the case in future months. Maybe I think I spend more than I do? For many years our grocery budget was $200 a month, and virtually no restaurants. So perhaps I just feel like I’m splashing out like a wild woman when really I’m still doing ok?

9 Likes

I’ve gone back to buying groceries at the supermarket down the road every couple of days because the fancy supermarket I was ordering online from appears to have decided (or been told) that they won’t sell alcohol to customers in my state anymore. I was making the delivery cost tolerable by ordering wine at the same time but no more. It seems as though it might have to do with my states weird liquor licensing laws that are extremely against buying buying groceries and alcohol together :woman_shrugging:

Now I need to start looking at other supermarkets again. I could still order from that one but the delivery on small orders is high and we don’t live close enough their physical stores to justify pick up.

5 Likes

My goal was $1100 and we were at $1142. Not too bad considering:

-Costco membership renewed ($120)
-Bought like a 4 month supply of coffee
-Had a Blueland order ($65)

On the other hand, it should have been a low month because it was short and we were travelling for part of it. Oh, well. Onward!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have blueland as part of groceries :woman_shrugging: I think I break things out a lot further than you though. I categorize cleaning products as “household” items, just like a bathmat or new dishes.

4 Likes

I could count it as “home supplies and furnishings” but I don’t. If I bought dishwasher detergent and hand soap at the grocery store, it would be groceries, so I still count it that way. Maybe that makes my high number seem my more reasonable, I dunno. It’s hard to compare because I think everyone breaks things out a little differently!

3 Likes

Just wanted to pop in and say that my grocery spending is fully HALF of what it was in January!! Some of that was from fewer special occasions (no birthdays this month or travel) but hey I’ll take it

8 Likes

Well done!

4 Likes

February’s grocery spend was $207.37 vs January’s $233.79.

This is excluding the eating out Sweaty and I did yesterday (breakfast sandwiches and cake late morning, and one beer each and a shared order of tots at night) using some of the money we got back at closing and that we spent from his card because he deposited that money into his account.

My share of that would put me over January’s numbers, but not by a lot.

In February I spent $34.11 on protein bars and did not buy any kombucha. The protein bar purchases were a large selection from Aldi near the beginning of the month, and a box from Walmart on 2/27 that I expect to last me at least a couple weeks into March. This is kind of obviously the place I’m overspending most, but overall I feel decent about my grocery spending, that I’m keeping costs low enough and still contributing in a fair way to household expenses.

5 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 3.05.15 PM

This month had two birthdays and quite a lot of eating out. This month will also be higher than usual on eating out, but maybe this is more the normal with things continuing to loosen up. idk.

2 Likes

Spent $96.31 this week! All Aldi. I got some fun things like takis and dark chocolate caramels which are my favorite Aldi thing ever.

6 Likes