Grocery Hauls and Pantry Snooping

You are wise to the ways of children.

2 Likes

Do you price match at superstore using Flipp? I donā€™t remember.

1 Like

Sort of, but I find the Flipp price comparison function is not very useful. It pulls up products that are in the sellers favour for you to buy. For example, if you put oranges on your grocery list, it will pull up everything with the orange word in it, including orange umbrellas. Not very useful. It will also pull up all the processed products with orange in them. I donā€™t use the search function for that reason.

Plus they only have major store flyers, not the local independent stores I prefer to shop. I like them because product is better quality and cheaper. All Iā€™m using Flipp for is to make a grocery list I could easily do in Notes on my iPhone.

1 Like

I know, Iā€™m only supposed to do this once a week and this is arguably my third surprise bag. It hasnā€™t been a great week and I am coping slightly with allowed spending.

$5 for a claimed $15 value

Jerk bbq hand pie
Curried chickpea hand pie
Almond croissant (I had a choice of this or a ham & cheese croissant that had been in the heater for 10 hours)
Unknown croissant

9 Likes

I decided i probably should get more veggies

$6 for claimed value of $18 on 2G2G

3 rapini bunches (going to the compost, we donā€™t like rapini, and it was well past its prime)
2 small broccoli
2.5 carrots
Bag green beans (some fuzz)
2 small leaf lettuce (not in photo - oops)
3 limes
2 tomatoes
1 bell pepper
1 bunch of green onions
1 corn
Misc mushrooms
15 plums

It isnā€™t the same quality as the high end shops weā€™ve been getting, but certainly canā€™t complain about quantity

ETA:

• lettuce is washed, picked through, and in paper towel in the fridge
  • green beans picked through, aggressively trimmed, blistered
  • broccoli trimmed & roasted
  • bell pepper chopped and rehydrating
  • carrots chopped and rehydrating
  • tomatoes trimmed & chopped
  • mushrooms cooking up Gochujang Mushroom Bowls - Pefect for Meal Prep - Budget Bytes
  • corn steaming, and then will have kernals cut off, moved to container with chopped tomato for a salsa
  • plums made into compote
7 Likes

This looks like a better value to me than some of the prepared foods youā€™ve been getting, even if some (much?) of it is not useable/desired.

6 Likes

Totally agree, I have realized I value the prepared foods at the cost of their ingredients most of the time (the scalloped potato was next level though). Thatā€™s why I was so annoyed at the Five Thieves bag where they didnā€™t give me those fruits.

The only thing in this bag that was a complete loss was the rapini (it probably would have been 1.5 bunches left for someone who liked it, maybe 1 bunch if they were picky). There are probably 2 cups of green beans, 2 cups of mushrooms, almost 3 cups of roast broccoli in the fridge now.

8 Likes

One reason I stopped trying with those apps is because in my area I think they lie about the supposed ā€œvalueā€ of the bundles and wayyy overstate it so you think youā€™re getting a deal, when really youā€™re overpaying. My area is also mostly prepared things though, produce is rare.

7 Likes

It might be because produce wholesales by size per bushel (or it used to be per bushel or pound) anyway, produce has a lot of things where theyā€™re pears 8 or 10 or such. I donā€™t know this is true, but it seems reasonable to me. If the price is based on which plum it is, then knowing which plum youā€™re selling would be something youā€™d want to know?

2 Likes

I got an email about this article on how to save $ at Publix. Thereā€™s no Publix in my area, so for me itā€™s a waste. It might be helpful to you? If so, let me know and Iā€™ll post a link.

1 Like

Completed grocery trip #3 (out of probably one million) in an attempt to stock our new Egyptian kitchen. About 15 USD total for some pantry staples.

12 Likes

Ooh, pomegranate molasses! Is that the brand or does it taste of pomegranates?

4 Likes

pomegranate molasses tastes like concentrated pomegranate. Lovely and tart.

We find it in grocery stores near the tahini. Or in some specialty stores.

6 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m excited to have easy access to it now! I like mixing it with olive oil and maple syrup or honey to put on top of roasted veggies. So good.

8 Likes

Sorry, I will try not to spam here too muchā€¦

Got a lot more produce this time. Total was 435 Egyptian pounds, about $23 US

17 Likes

Please, all the food haul spam. Permission granted.

Eta I donā€™t often anymore because Iā€™m always racing the clock to unpack. And by clock I mean toddler.

8 Likes

Second BJ, Itā€™s fun to see the foreign groceries!

7 Likes

I agree, more pics!

I love love love looking up recipes on YouTube from other countries just so I can spy on peopleā€™s kitchens and grocery brands :laughing:

2 Likes

It is so fun seeing whatā€™s available in different grocery stores! Iā€™ll need to switch up what basic recipes are in my regular rotation here based on whatā€™s easily available though. Off the top of my head a few things Iā€™m used to cooking with regularly that I havenā€™t seen in most stores yet are broccoli, spinach, ground turkey, avocados, and most Asian sauces/condiments (although I did just look up a few Asian supermarkets that I will have to try visiting!)

Edit: Oh, and also learn what to cook with frozen taro which seems to be very common!

9 Likes

Iā€™m so happy to be back in Tucson with my cheap grocery stores! Iā€™m doing a bit of a super frugal month because spending on house stuff has been a lot. Also my freezer is packed with meat and all sorts of stuff, so itā€™s time to eat it all. What I buy this month will mostly be fresh produce

This is what I got today at my neighborhood grocery store for $9.41

13 Likes