I’m working on an episode about benefits as part of employee retention, and I’m curious about great benefits you’ve heard of. There’s the obvious, of course - retirement, PTO, health/vision/dental, but what other benefits have you seen or had?
Here are some I have seen:
- Profit sharing bonuses
- Additional coverage outside of health insurance for fertility, trans health care, or adoption fees
- Floating “birthday day off” as extra PTO day
- YNAB: “We do birthdays really well. Personal notes from everyone on the team and a gift. Not a gift card, a gift just for you. We have everyone fill out a bucket list when they first come on, and that kind of helps us get to know new folks a little bit better and give more personal gifts.”
- Minimum vacation time policies (you must take 3 weeks a year/etc)
- Remote work full-time or part time
- Paid 6-month sabbatical after 4 years
- Remote work stipend for buying desks/equipment for home
- Paid parental leave (in the US) - including paternity leave, esp those you can take part-time
- Full time pay for 32-hour week for a year for returning new parents
- College degree paid for - starbucks
I’m also curious if you’ve been in a situation where you stayed because of benefits - or LEFT because of lack of benefits. I’ve been in numerous situations where I have had to leave jobs I love because there was no health insurance coverage, or no sick days.
Thanks for your ideas!