Gold Star Parenting

Oh just in case you want, my friends son just got one last week so I took pics of our favorite one nugget builds-

Summary

4 Likes

Thanks! The obstacle course looks great. Here’s a bit of ours to date

Note: removed photos because I realized a name was showing

5 Likes

Yesterday while we were scrolling facebook reels on my phone B saw a video of a toddler riding a bike and it’s the same little bike she has. She immediately said “mama, that baby have no helmet on!” Then L said “no helmet no bike”

Apparently I’ve taught them well that they must wear their helmets! I totally didn’t even notice that she didn’t have on a helmet, I was like “how cute! She has the same bike as you”

13 Likes

Did what I had to. Because the alternative was worse. Lots of medals earned

16 Likes

Many!!! The most!!!

2 Likes

:medal_sports: :medal_military: :1st_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :3rd_place_medal: :trophy:

3 Likes

:star2::star2::star2::star2::star2:
Excellent, bravo! :raised_hands: Survival achieved!

2 Likes

Today Meowlet didn’t want to go to school. He was very firm in his no. I validated him and told him i know he doesn’t want to. He said he would miss me. I told him i would miss him too. We talked about things we could do when we got home. And i asked him if i could tell him a story in the car. He was happy to get his shoes on at that point but did NOT want to wear his jacket. I let him have autonomy over the clothes he was wearing and said that was fine.

We were in the car with no drama and lots of validation of his feelings.

I didn’t want to do any of this and wanted to just walk out the door and demand he keep up like my parents did. I was tired and my stomach hurt. But hey! We solved it together.

17 Likes

Yay! So many successes there to celebrate and build on. Go Meowhaus.

2 Likes

:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

1 Like

So many gold stars for you!

1 Like

I let 3yo dye an egg

10 Likes

Me too. Too much chaos for me. They couldn’t follow directions and we are lucky they didn’t all get smashed

6 Likes

I did all but one and then told him what was happening. You deserve MANY gold stars.

3 Likes

We gave Latte 6 dye containers, 12 HB eggs, and it was sheer chaos. Gloriously, it’s my parents kitchen so there was a ton of space and they cleaned up the dye cups while we put her to bed. (Although I had already cleaned counter off) All the eggs ended up brown I think :joy: as did her hands. I’m pretty sure the only potential lasting harm is that SirB’s shirt got splashed when she smashed her hands into a blue puddle out of anger. That’s when it was definitely bedtime.

I got zero pictures, but we all did survive so… win?

9 Likes

Thinking of it, I think doing all 12 at once was actually a win. She forgot a bunch in cups as she moved other ones, so they actually acquired some colors and kept it interesting. She also tried to dye the crayon that came with the kit :joy:

7 Likes

This sounds very similar to our experience. The egg tong things from target were a big hit and B’s fingers survived, but L used a combo of fingers and tongs. The tongs were such a hit though that they wouldn’t let any eggs sit and get darker.

5 Likes

We briefly used the “egg inside a whisk” trick, but then Latte just wanted to use her hands and I care precisely 0% about dyed fingers. :sweat_smile: by the end she was just using her fingers to mix drip colors on the counter. Go wild, little one, you’re momentarily not having sick kid breakdowns so it’s a win.

5 Likes

We painted mini plaster of paris ornaments. I was super impressed that the person who put it together had selected a rainbow of colours that actually worked well when mixed together as a mush, and the paint was very fast to dry so the kids weren’t able to get themselves messy by accident, only on purpose. Pumpkin also was interested in actually painting the cute things instead of herself for once! Normally I wouldn’t go for a kit like this (Ponder bought it) but now I am thinking we might keep a few on hand for sick weeks where we need a break. Oh and also we painted outside on the patio, I dont think I could have managed it inside.

9 Likes

Today i felt good about how we talked about feelings.

I walked into Meowlet’s room to check on how bedtime was going. He was half asleep but when he saw me he said, “Grandpa flushed the water system today. He should not do that. It’s a CRIME.”

Hes been very mad about this all day. I’m not really sure why? But it may be because we told him not to play with water because it was too cold out.

“Yeah, that made you really mad. I can see that.”

“I’m going to tell him: You BROKE THE LAW!”

“It’s okay to be mad. Maybe you could think about how much he loves you and that he was probably trying to keep you safe from the cold.”

“NO. IT WAS A CRIME.”

“Would it help your body if you could cry and let out all the madness?”

“NO. IM GOING TO KEEP IT IN.”

“You can keep it in if you want. Sometimes i get so mad it makes me cry. I cry and I let out all the mad feelings and it makes me feel better.”

“What makes you mad?”

“Sometimes my boss tells me to do something i don’t want to do. But she makes the rules. Sometimes it makes me so mad that i cry. But then Im ready to think about something else, because being mad doesn’t feel good. So I’m ready to let the mad feelings go.”

“I am not going to let them go.”

“That’s okay. You can be mad if you want to be and you can let it go when you’re ready.”

At this point he was a bit more relaxed and wanted me to tell him more stories. I told him it was bedtime. By the time I came back for next check in he was asleep.

I felt proud because idk. Feelings are hard. But maybe i can teach my kids tools to help him with them a little bit? It felt like a win.

18 Likes