Getting On The Same Page

Attachment based counseling doesn’t feel that way. It is one thing to say “partners should seek reassurance from each other” and to offer guidance on what that looks like and practice it.

2 Likes

If there’s no practice element that seems like pretty useless counseling?

2 Likes

It’s really helped us sort out some gnarls and knots in the relationship so I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s something to raise for the counselor for sure.

3 Likes

The most helpful advice we got during counseling was when we fought in front of her. It was much easier for her to step in and give concrete examples of where things were going wrong on both ends of our communication. If there is anything particular that’s bothering you, maybe ask to save it for therapy and have the discussion live?

6 Likes

as your very objective friend obviously it’s just his problem and you are perfect.

But really, everyone can grow more in individual counseling. I feel like couple’s counseling is good for some things, but individual growth usually needs to happen individually.

6 Likes

You are a smart person

2 Likes

Hahaha

Turns out also that I’m getting my period soon, which means whenever he acts normal level douche it feels like the end of the world.

So I’m really mentally healthy, spewing my woes and feelings on a message board

8 Likes

This is an excellent way of coping. (Says someone who heavily uses this method of coping).

6 Likes

ETA oh and to quote my husband, “just because you’re feeling it extra intensely right now, doesn’t negate what’s underlying those feelings”. He’s excellent and not letting me minimize my feelings during PMS/IVF/Pregnancy etc.

7 Likes

…well dang. I’ll have to remember that.

Tell your husband that an internet stranger thinks he’s a good egg.

4 Likes

So, after months of “I’ll just make my own set of cards or something instead of buying the Fair Play cards” and that not happening, I finally added the cards to an Amazon order I was placing.

They’re okay? I was expecting them to be busier on each card but I guess that would probably be off putting to the partner who was not the one to purchase these. I thought there would be more detail per card but that’s probably what you have to talk out with your partner. There are no blank cards, I wish there were. I suppose you could use a sticky note on cards your household doesn’t use. Since I have a partial chore list I’ll have to compare to see if they’re all addressed here.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know.

7 Likes

That’s really neat to see. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes