Get Through the Books!

The little valise I traded that first $5 of magazines for? It’s now broken, sigh. It will go to the dump this week or next. I don’t really have another way to store the mufflers that are in it.

Too flimsy and it fell more than once.

My pencil cup in the kitchen broke this morning too. It was a white ceramic beaker and I loved how modern/minimalist it was. But…

I have a mug in my office I can use. Problem is that’s on the FAR side of the office counter, and the counter is still piled high with boxes and piles o’ stuff…

Sigh.

I managed to clear off the counter enough that I could climb on it and get the mug. Yay!

There are some holiday cards we can use up that I found too. It’s all good, less stuff. I also found a copy of my favorite mechanical pencil. That’s great too, they aren’t all that cheap!

1 Like

Have an appointment to meet my “back up” buyer on Friday at the storage. If I can get through enough of it today, maybe, just maybe, I can get it down to two or three loads to come home and the last loads to go away. That would make closing the storage possible.

DH bought a cabinet at auction that we can’t carry in my car. When the books are gone, no matter what, we’ll still have that. It’s on a wheeled dolly. I suppose the answer is that if I get to that point, I swap the storage for a small, closet size, if they have one, and wheel the cabinet into it.

Then we’ll have to rent a van or truck to retrieve it. That will be easier to do if there’s NO snow on the ground, but… there’s still about 80? boxes of books in there.

Meet buyer tomorrow.Storage work today. Have at least one box from the house for the bookstore. Not sure of the status of much else. I will probably bring home at least one of the folding tables and some boxes.

Woke up this morning a couple of times with muscle cramps. So, motrin after breakfast, because flinging boxes around just isn’t sane with crampy muscles!

Have a box of donations for the bookstore. I’m off, this afternoon, to generate more boxes for the buyer tomorrow. Have 12 for the guy, want 8 more.

Another box of books was donated to the bookstore. Yay!

1 Like

My former colleague/friend bought the book I’d set aside for him on Friday.

Yay! He’ll make some money and I have less to store.

1 Like

Decided I have to tackle one of the “dead” corners here. What happens is because of the quantity of stuff things get piled in a corner or near the wall: boxes of whathaveyou, asst books and loose other bits. Then they stay there and we don’t “see” them. If I’m going to get the house clean and cleared o’ stuff I need to stop finding ways to erase them from my awareness. I need to clean up those corners, etc.

So I started this, this morning. First thing I found 3 pieces of paper to toss. I sorted the loose paperwork into: paperwork from publications (I tear out clippings and file them, rather than keeping an entire publication for 3 pages. Works, but only when I keep up with the filing/index.) paperwork I created (story fragments, accounting data, house note book stuff), and books of course.

Hopefully, I can clear the space in front of the bookcase today. If I can, my intent is to haul the heavy-duty shop vac up the stairs and vacuum that area of the house. It’s been far too long since it was cleaned.

1 Like

Hmmf. I got home from the dump/market and DH had started mowing the lawn/mulching leaves. Which of course left some clean swathes and piles of mulched and semi-mulched leaves in lines all over. So I did some raking, although I wasn’t planning on raking today.

This delayed my working on the corner I set out to clean this morning, sigh.

I love him dearly, but sometimes he sabotages me, although I’m sure he doesn’t do it on purpose…

I was talking to DH about the cookbook problem. I have too many and don’t really have any good yardstick for what to get rid of or not?

He suggested that I pencil the date I use a cookbook, as I use it. So, yesterday’s dinner came from 3 cookbooks: a do it fast/cheap book, a 200 chicken recipes book, and a budget gourmet book. The discussion after dinner included marron glace, he didn’t know what it was, used 5 more cookbooks until I found a recipe. (They’re candied chestnuts and yummy.)

In six month’s, or in whatever period of time I set, I’ll have a yardstick for what to keep because I use it, or to discard because I don’t. Simple, easy, and doesn’t ruin the piece at the same time. Win! :clap:

2 Likes

You could also do it on a post it, and then you wouldn’t have to worry about removing marks later of the paper isn’t friendly

That would work, but I write in pencil in my cookbooks anyway. Also, if I decide to discard them, I’d research them and pencil in the desired price. I’ve been a bookdealer for 30+ years, I’m used to penciling notations in books, and I go through my personal books anyway and remove any marks I make because of this.

Also, I don’t think I own any stickies! Or, if we do, I don’t know where they are? But thanks for the idea, I hadn’t thought of that…

1 Like

Sold 7 magazines at the antique store and 1 other mail order.

I’d forgotten about this topic! I’m still working on this. Have a book which is sold on my desk to wrap up and mail. I’ve mailed two sets of book illus. to a family member, photos to another, etc.

Right now, the job I’m working on is moving the stack of stuff under the front window in the living room. I want to move the coffee table and 2 club chairs there. To do this will take a lot of work as the area is where I"ve been piling stuff as it comes in/goes out – for some time. So there are asst. random piles o’ stuff, mostly books of course, which need to be moved, sorted, packed into boxes, and then dealt with.

I have another box’s worth to go to the bookstore where I"m selling things. The bookstore where I was donating things, the owner decided she was going to push the “you have to forgive” thing about my abuser. She sent me into a flashback; thankfully it was only 5 days’ worth, but I haven’t gone back since – and that was in Nov. So I lost my “home” for the adequate but not great stuff to go. The bookstore I’m selling to of course only really wants the good stuff.

I have a few pieces to send to auction, but not many. The local book auction is run well enough but the guy doesn’t run it for book collectors, but paper collectors: comic books and trading cards mostly. So the really high end stuff doesn’t go for as much as it could.

1 Like

I have a friend who will take a high end book on spec. If he thinks he can sell it, he’ll either buy it outright or consign it. If he doesn’t, he’ll mail it back to me.

I have 2.x boxes of books to return to a consigner. I have sent now the 2nd box of signed merch to my friend the high-end dealer. He’s paying me a minimum, but I want the stuff GONE!

2 books right now in the dump bin. Needs to be about a box gone, either donated to the thrift shop or taken to the dump’s book swap table. (Weds. a lot of the books there I ID’d as coming from me, no surprise!)

So, a box, overflowing a bit, at the front door to go out. Two cartons with packing materials to go to the antique store too. I’m outta here!