Get Smart With Money - Netflix

I feel like I definitely know some Black creators in the PF space but the content they put out that I’ve seen has only been in American English (mainstream American English? I’m not sure the exact term there)? I suppose there’s probably a lot of code switching people feel obligated to do to be taken seriously in finance spaces. Either that or I just haven’t followed enough different people! To be fair I don’t follow nearly as many PF folks these days, since parenting stuff has pushed a lot of those sources out.

Definitely going to go add more people to my IG feed though. Ty!

4 Likes

Ah, ok! I thought you just meant Black voices in general not specific speech patterns. It could be code switching or just that they don’t happen to speak that way. There are so many mixed feelings on the whole (AAVE) idea within different communities of color too.

I’ve heard the argument that what some refer to as AAVE has regional (Southern) roots and has to do with Black people moving around the country (away from the South during Jim Crow) and then speech patterns evolving from there. And that it’s basically only seen as AAVE rather than regional because of bias/racism. If that’s the case I’d guess a lot of it has to do with where someone is from in the US as well as where their parents are from and probably class, etc. but IDK because I’m not a linguist, haha. Either way MORE PF MEDIA!!! :laughing:

ETA: Oh and Finance Tea! I really like her too.

7 Likes

Dammit I typed a whole reply and my app froze my phone and I lost everything. I give up. :confounded:

3 Likes

Meh, there is…food. Snacks are better than typing. F it!

3 Likes

Found a meme about MMM

(xpost w memes thread)

13 Likes