George Floyd and the 5/30 Protests

Race and urbanness was a factor, also I’m young enough that columbine happened when I was in 6th grade, and I think it changed things a lot.

We had to go through metal detectors and breathalyzers to go into to school dances or games, and had random search & seizure of anything in the trunk of cars in the parking lot at my high school, which resulted in student arrests pretty often, unfortunately. drug war was at an all time high. the swat team got called into my middle school three times, we were evacuated to the lawn while they were on the roof.

I was in 8th grade when the Cincinnati riots broke out after Timothy Thomas Jr, a 19 year old was the 8th unarmed black man to die by police hands that year.* I lived half a mile from the neighborhood that was the center of the protests.

My high school was located in a high crime neighborhood in a majority black city, and there were definitely disproportionate effects of school policing on black students, who made up over half my school.

My high school was located down the street from Harriet Beecher Stowe’s house.

*This led to, eventually, a community oriented policing strategy that helped reform Cincinnati’s police department.

6 Likes

Suggestions for helping: I know people who work at big companies that get corporate matching for donations, quite a few friends are offering to launder/match donations through their company - essentially resulting in a triple match for any donation. I know @MonkeyJenga is doing a lot of donations, this can help.

6 Likes

I was really disheartened to see that in my city there was a lot of trash littering the streets as a result of stores that were looted, then really happy to see that very early the next day hundreds of people were already there cleaning up the most trashed streets edit: maybe not hundreds? I’m only following along on instagram and most of the local pages I follow are enviro/sustainable focused. I’m pretty far away from the part of the city this all happened in.

5 Likes

I think it’s more for people that are regular posters and public figures, but if you aren’t posting in a place where your black friends can see it, that’s a different thing. Not everyone is active on twitter or instagram, but if you post on facebook (I don’t usually) and your black friends don’t see you saying something, they’re gonna notice. It would be ridiculous for me, for example, not say something since hundreds of my facebook friends were out at protests and I’m extremely active on social media as part of my job, and already post about race a lot.

7 Likes

Thank you, I had started a post with that and got overwhelmed.

3 Likes

A good and decent thing: there was a silent protest in my city yesterday and the police chief attended and took a knee along with everyone else.

10 Likes

This seems to be happening in smaller/medium cities all over. It was noted in Flint, MI. And it restores some faith in humanity, for sure. A part of me is like “see, there is a different way this could have gone!” But also in LA/CHI/NYC/etc there is probably more chance of someone initiating violence, or of infiltration by anarchists, so it probably isn’t a fair comparison…

Graphic

…But maybe not driving cars into peaceful crowds is a start? Or shooting at people on their own goddamn porch? But what do I know?

7 Likes

My city has a huge anarchist population, but we’re also pretty far left overall, including some of our police. I think the big reason it stays peaceful here is just that we’re a smaller city. 1% turnout in a small city is much smaller than 1% turnout in, say, Chicago. The crowd energy is just that much quieter.

graphic

Yeah. The not-brutalizing-citizens thing should be a pretty straightforward place to start.

8 Likes

Wish my company hadn’t suspended gift matching because of Covid. It’s a good idea to ask around though, I’m sure some of my friends with corporate jobs still have donation matching. Thanks for suggesting that, I didn’t think of that.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Had an unsanctioned art project today at an intersection downtown that was closed for construction. It felt good to do something visible.

I’ve also been in a Zoom meeting with my local SURJ chapter for the last few hours emailing legislators, signing petitions, making phone calls. There’s a demonstration being organized for Tuesday afternoon, folks are being encouraged to attend in cars with signs if necessary with a designated driving route.

7 Likes

Got this in an email from Penzey’s a couple of days ago (sorry, it’s LONG):
Of course if I wanted to toss rocks where there is community-supported racism I could start right here in the Milwaukee area and stop in Madison on my way up to Saint Paul and then across the river to our Hennepin Ave store in Minneapolis where, last I heard, at least one door and one of the big windows have already been smashed. The reality is, this is America where community-supported racism is eating away at every community across the country.

I received a couple emails yesterday from customers upset that we should be victims of the unrest when we actually try to do more than most to make a difference. And it’s right there on google if you type in Penzeys Hennepin to make sure you are spelling Hennepin correctly and then click the News tab. The first story up is “A list of the buildings damaged, looted in Minneapolis and St. Paul.” But then if you scroll a touch, the fourth story down actually is “Penzeys Spices takes a strong stand against racism and Trump” from November 22, 2016. If only protesters googled.

But as much some days I vehemently oppose racism, every day I benefit from the privilege white skin gifts me. If sweeping up some glass and replacing a couple windows is a piece of everybody realizing the costs of racism-fueled police violence towards minorities is no longer affordable, then so be it. And yes, here is where I point out one more time, voting for a presidential candidate whose own party labeled a “textbook” racist well before the election is indeed a racist act. And no, the fact that 63 million Americans did this does not make it any less racist. If this was you, make amends and move on. It’s not that hard.

But as much as the Republican Party of late has given up on subtle racism and gone all in, the lack of awareness for just how deeply racism and privilege are intertwined runs the entire length of America’s political spectrum. Can anyone say college loan forgiveness? It’s like someone looked at the idea of reparations for slavery and said yes let’s do that, but let’s find a way that all the money goes to white people instead. And I’m not saying the idea is without merit, but seriously, how can you float it without in the very same breath acknowledging all those who our country’s racism blocked from accessing that opportunity? We all need to do better. A lot better.

But enough complaining, and how about a positive idea instead. After an email from us a couple years back in support of Black Lives Matter in Saint Louis, I ended up in an exchange of emails with a retired police officer from the area. At first he was taking the, if you support them then you hate us approach. I started out with, this denial of racism in our communities and on the force really isn’t doing you any favors. The best cops are always the ones with their finger on the pulse and who live and breathe the street. Saying racism isn’t a thing can’t help but raise questions of corruption and at the very least looks clueless which isn’t a good look for a detective.

Ultimately I pitched the idea of doing a full 180 and becoming the true heroes in America’s fight against racism. It’s not really that far of a stretch. Imagine the voice-over of the recruitment ad: “We live on the front lines where America’s racism meets reality and we are looking for help. Everybody talks about fighting racism, but we’re the ones actually doing it. Want to help? Do what it takes to earn yourself a badge and come join us. It won’t be easy, but you will be in the very place where making a difference matters most.”

In the end he wasn’t quite ready to embrace my pitch, but we did part on much better terms than we began. And of course mine is an experience of white privilege, but the vast majority of those on the force I’ve interacted with over the years have been good eggs. Still the willingness to tolerate bad eggs is at the heart of so many of these problems. It’s got to end. Smartphones are everywhere and that’s a very good thing.

And Justice Seasoning. A big part of “Penzeys Spices takes a strong stand against racism and Trump” lives in this blend and it really is a good one. After our Wednesday email, our first to most of our customers in seven weeks, I received many thousands of emails in return and a lot of them held questions that the best response to was, just buy the Justice Seasoning it’s probably our best blend and it has no salt as well because it just doesn’t need it. Plus, as you can see from the poster below with the text from the label, it really does start: With Justice —Peace. Until Justice once again lives in the White House, the Senate, and most importantly in the Supreme Court there can be no peace. 11.3.20 Vote Justice.

And if you don’t mind waiting 2-2 1/2 weeks for delivery shop now at penzeys.com. Yes, the huge surge in online orders brought on by the coronavirus has us a bit behind, but with our new system we are gaining every day. And the sweet thing about having a couple of weeks worth of orders in the house is that for scheduling grinding, blending and packaging we don’t have to guess what we will need two weeks from now, we already know. Ordering now helps, and all orders ship in the order received and aren’t charged until shipped.

If you live close to one of our stores you can save a whole bunch of time by placing an order for touchless pickup through your local store. Just click here to get started. It only takes a couple days at most.

And if you own a store somewhere can I give you some advice? In the late ‘70s the MPD (Milwaukee Police Department) had the Beare brothers, both detectives, both really good Cooks, and both customers of my parents’ store at a time when our neighborhood was becoming a little bit more out of control. At one point one of them took me aside and explained how it was my job to keep our windows from being broken.

The good news was, that as much as we all like to think there is some intention behind broken windows, the truth is the vast majority of the time how it happens is pretty simple and without much in the way of premeditation at all. It boiled down to this. If you see a nice rock about the size of your hand or slightly smaller, as a human you will most naturally pick it up. Once in hand you will look for something to do with it, and if you see anything that could be a target, such as a store window, you will let loose with the rock. Therefore dispose of hand-sized rocks 2-300 feet from your store and keep any target-like posters out of your window.

If you are from the Milwaukee area and have a tip for us possibly finding a Beare brother recipe please send it our way at editor@penzeys.com. Thanks!

Thanks for reading, thanks for your support, and most importantly of all thanks for caring enough to cook. You really do heal the world,

Bill
bill@penzeys.com

7 Likes

Started hearing flash bangs when I was in bed last night around 10. I finally got connected with some social media accounts that are more active with things going on in my area, looks like there were actually some gatherings downtown last night and Oly PD came out in full force.

4 Likes

My bigger kid posted this multi multi multi part Insta story with tons of facts and barely suppressed rage. His friends are going to be educated about racial disparities wether they want to be or not. He is watching all of this and ready to go make everything right.
I love his earnestness and energy and profound commitment to justice. He will mellow as he ages but I hope that fire stays forever

19 Likes

So the military has just been deployed to DC and the president tear gassed peaceful protestors in order to pose with a bible outside of a church. Just…there aren’t words.

Also, how does one calibrate the level of concern for military being deployed against private citizens miles from one’s home when the starting level was police murdering innocent people?

11 Likes

Yup - Trump’s wet dream - martial law…

1 Like

My friend is a very cautious prepper/survival guy and he is encouraging us to get our GTFO preparations ready and I honestly can’t calibrate my emotions on this because…yeah, it is that scary.

5 Likes

Yeah, I have no advice to give. I have no idea what to do. Things would calm down, but DJT keeps escalating things (and forcing reopening businesses regardless of infection data).

4 Likes

Over 400 people on an organizing zoom call tonight for SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice). I’m so thrilled.

I will be attending a gathering tomorrow being organized by SURJ. It is not meant to be a march, we are strongly reminded to keep our distance from each other, it will take place in a now open park, there will be community security. I’m trying to sign up for the Safe Rides program as well, picking folks up if they feel unsafe especially downtown.

There is quite a bit of activity downtown right now that I won’t be joining, the purpose seems to be antagonistic and I have no doubt there will be further police violence tonight.

ETA: I have several friends who will not be attending protests due to fear, due to COVID-19, due to a lot of things. I just want to put it out there, that protests are only one form of activism. Other things you can do:

• Join an org already doing the work (Black Lives Matter and SURJ are two large national orgs, there are many more)
  • Write to your elected officials (hit me up if you need help with that)
  • Engage in meaningful conversations with friends and family
  • Donate to your local bailout fund, local orgs that need donations to help black folks in your community, individuals in your community who are most impacted by this violence
13 Likes

I need help with this. Give me the words and I’ll make the calls, I have the phone numbers saved for some of them at least.

4 Likes