Gay marriage, same-sex adoption under threat in USA

The 3 Trump justices should be prosecuted for perjury. Under oath all 3 testified that Roe and Casey was settled law.

Thomas should be impeached just because of who his wife is.

5 Likes

Thomas never should have been confirmed!

2 Likes

The good news is that there is a constitutional amendment in place that overturns the ā€œ3/5s compromiseā€, so even strict interpretation of the constitution would not bring us back to those times.

Butā€¦ Justice Thomas interestingly did not mention Loving v. Virginia when he spoke of the other cases that were determined the equal protection clause and right to privacy part of the Due Process Clause that should be reconsidered. His marriage is only legal because of Loving.

11 Likes

The analysis I have seen on that angle says it is a nonstarter- I am not a lawyer. But everything Iā€™ve seen, including at the time of the confirmations says that they did not practice perjury.

They are lawyers who made factual statements that are not inconsistent with overturning Roe. They implied things, but they did not state ā€œI will not overturn roeā€ - and many people at the time of their confirmations pointed out that congressā€™s acceptance of these legalistic non-answers is the issue here, not the statements themselves.

6 Likes

Some info on those analyses

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen people on my fb share article blaming RBG for this, because she didnt retire when Obama was president and he could have appointed someone liberal

This is Liberal people themselves, not right wing people.

1 Like

Obama couldnā€™t even get his nominee confirmed when scalia diedā€¦soā€¦ that doesnā€™t really hold up.

Couldnā€™t get him confirmed because of congress being asses.

5 Likes

The answer is always to be mad at Mitch McConnell. He is the root of all evil.

10 Likes

Yes I thought there was someone else he couldnt get confirmed, Mitch McConnell does seem to be a shit person

3 Likes

If RBG had retired prior to Dems losing the Senate, then yes, perhaps. We can blame her. Here was her notes on it in 2013/14

This was the Merrick Garland situation. he was way less liberal than hoped for becauseā€¦well they thought they could get him through a republican senate. But they could not.
Merrick Garland Supreme Court nomination - Wikipedia.

4 Likes

thanks for sharing

1 Like