Garden Chat

So it’s getting colder at night and I just picked my peppers. I didn’t know what to do with the ten sweet bell peppers I got off one plant. So I combined them with some store bought peppers and made 6 pints of sweet pickled peppers.

Now the question…what does one do with sweet pickled peppers?!”

1 Like

Sandwiches?

I usually chop and freeze an excess of peppers, though.

1 Like

Pizza or pasta topping?

1 Like

I sent you a PM

1 Like

Never thought of sandwiches! These are in vinegar (apple cider and white mix) and sugar brine with spices. I’m thinking they’re more like a pickle. Hmmm…

1 Like

Possibly. Not sure. I’m going to google and see how other people use them.

1 Like

Google says:

• top a ham and cheese sandwich with them. That sounds good.
  • Also put them on grilled cheesies - a favourite here.
  • Or add to omelets.
  • Or on pizza. You guys are good!
  • On burgers.
  • on their own as a snack.
  • in salads…hmmm…
  • in soups
  • on nachos
  • as a condiment
  • with hm pimento cheese on crackers (hors d’ouevres)

That’s what I got so far. That should keep me busy for a while!

5 Likes

Yeah, that sounds good on a ham sandwich.

Which reminds me I need to go dig up some horseradish for the winter….

1 Like

During the week I built compost bins for the owners of the Shipwrecks.

7 Likes

Remember that free mini greenhouse we got last year?

It’s already deteriorated.

We’re working on an idea for next year, as we’ve got a lot of starts going in our house right now that should be outside.

6 Likes

DSIS#3 was visiting and only took four jars of canned goods. That’s good. I have lots, but she just wanted to try things. If she likes them, and we have some left mid-winter, she’ll come back for more. She brought us two large boxes of both cup and pint jars! Yay! Probably 2 dozen each kind. She can have canned goods if she wants them.

She also brought 2 jars of hm mustard pickles. I may give one of those to one of my daughters. We’ll see.

My garden is winding down. We repackaged dried spices into jars and zippered bags and put them in the cupboard. I still have nasturtiums, marigolds, kale and turnip growing in the garden. Also some Korean summer radish. Everything else is basically shot. My Swiss chard and beets are toast, thanks to deer. There are going to be a few changes next year.

1 Like

Looks like all my pots are lining up in a row and I’ll have a big, ongoing, paid, garden project starting soon.

6 Likes

I’m still waiting on most of our tomatoes to ripen. So slow this year :sleeping:

3 Likes

Planted garlic this morning. I was surprised by how dry the soil is - we’ve only had one or two days of rain this fall.

In the past I filled one of my three beds entirely with garlic. This year I left a gap of one row for sprouting broccoli and lettuce.

4 Likes

:heart: There is a garlic festival in the state this weekend… if I can swing it I am gonna go get interesting garlic varieties to plant!!

3 Likes

Not quite two months left for the ~2000 garlic we’ve got in the ground.

Very impatient to have the beds free for tomatoes.

3 Likes

Oooh soon I need to clear out the tomato bed and do garlic.

3 Likes

Just ordered a low chill cherry (minnie royal), black english mulberry and two apple trees (dwarf granny smith, pinkabelle).

Currently convincing Ponder we should remove some of the grass and make a new raised garden bed for the kids to grow berries in.

3 Likes

Managed to finalise a mission I’ve had since we moved here. A full woodshed.

Geoff Tewierik shared a post on Instagram: "". Follow their account to see 3716 posts.

12 Likes

I’ve seen seed starting soil on clearance, is there any reason not to buy it now and keep it until spring? Like are there nutrients in it that get less potent over time?