Garden Chat

got the lattice and shelves in place today to hold my little container garden, which has beans, tomatoes, basil, fennel, sweet peas, rudbeckia, bells of ireland, poor man’s orchid, and several varieties of snapdragons, cosmos, and zinnias.

grow, babies!

8 Likes

I’m going to start some perennial seeds and I know they will need to go into larger pots as they get older. Is there any reason not to just start with larger pots instead of cell trays?

3 Likes

Picked a spud at work yesterday.

Chonky.

11 Likes

I need to cover my blueberries with something so the birds won’t eat them. Should I build a little arch and cover it with netting or just bag the branches with fruit?

2 Likes

At that size, I’d just bag the branches. Bon bonierre bags from a wedding work pretty good.

2 Likes

Winter solstice down here today. I jumped up on the garden shed roof at work and took a video. You’ll have to go to the gram to see it.

4 Likes

Anyone got an idea of what this tree is?

The fruits have started to fall off and are “ripened” to purplish green (but are not soft). I haven’t tried cutting into one yet.

3 Likes

That looks like an American Pawpaw to my Aussie eyes. But I’m more than likely wrong.

1 Like

This year’s deck garden…

6 Likes

The garden itself…

7 Likes

Looks like a plum to me.

1 Like

The veggie garden is a total jungle and it makes me so happy

Yesterday’s harvest. The broccoli is so much more farty smelling than store broccoli, it’s stunning. I knew garden tomatoes were way better but low key expected my broccoli to be essentially the same but no, way more veggieful.

The little black berries in the tub are wonderberries. Very seedy, nondescriptly sweet. Not worth growing again but fun to have a bunch of berries as opposed to my hard won single strawberry (strawberry total is now 4 from 10 plants lol)

6 Likes

How big are they? The fruits are giving plum, but the leaves are giving peach or something similar. Not pawpaw, those have leaves like this:

2 Likes

Small fruits, like I can hold 2 or 3 in my hand easily and I have small hands. Maybe 1.5-2 inches long?

1 Like

I was also leaning some sort of wild plum, but CalBal is right, the leaves aren’t quite right. Have you actually tasted any of the “ripe” fruit?

3 Likes

Definitely sounds like ornamental plum… Maybe some have leaves more similar to peach? Plums and peaches are both Prunus sp. (wild and ornamental also)… :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I have definitely not eaten any of the fruit!

I’ll go investigate and get a look at barks too then. Plum seems possible, though ugh, these “ripe” fruits are hard as ROCKS.

7 Likes

Recent harvest - lemon balm for the dehydrator, and our first cucumber!

8 Likes

5 Likes