Funny Thing You Saw Today

Truth in advertising?

3 Likes

16 Likes

It looks like it’s been stuck on top of the advert slot, so I suspect a spoof :joy: But a very plausible one!

2 Likes

Probably only funny to a very very small number of people on this forum.

But, but, but… that’s not a zamboni.

7 Likes

I assumed it was. What is it then?

1 Like

That is an Olympia.

An “ice resurfacing machine” - like a Kleenex vs a tissue.

5 Likes
6 Likes

24 Likes

28 Likes

25 Likes

17 Likes

4 Likes

That’s not funny if it were true; that’s a fire waiting to happen.

2 Likes

It’s probably true, and they are really lucky if it didn’t cause a fire.

My husband worked in electric at Home Depot and people OFTEN came in looking for large capacity breakers, because theirs would be tripping all the time. He’d explain they were tripping because the load was too great, that didn’t meant they were broken, but that they were working, and it was preventing a fire. He’d say that he couldn’t help them with something he knew was unsafe. They’d yell at him, say they wanted one that wouldn’t trip, demand his manager, scream that he wasn’t telling them where the breakers were- manager would point them to them. Husband would pray there wasn’t a fire later.

8 Likes

The neighbors behind us had their house burn down because of that. My brother works in electric too and has explained to people the dangers of breakers that can’t handle the load from the wiring they’re using. Thankfully most people have heeded his advice. But you always get some asshole who thinks they’re smarter so he just prays they don’t burn down their house with their stupidity.

10 Likes

21 Likes

Literal electrical engineer…you would hope, but I wouldn’t bet on it. This is not the worst of what shows up on the WTF engineering boards (most of the things that do I don’t post here just because they don’t make sense unless you’ve got the same background, but occasionally you get the holy hell option)

(ETA–yes, pics do occasionally come with scorch marks)

7 Likes

It’s not just regular people, either. I went to an arc flash training about a decade ago where one of the photos in the presentation was supposedly from a major sports stadium. The photo was of a fuse block for very large fuses. We’re talking fuses about the size of 16oz soda cans. The fuses must have blown at some point…and were replaced with copper rods.

People don’t seem to care about safety until it’s too late. Then there’s hell to pay. Tragically, for some people that can be quite literal (i.e., they die).

5 Likes

Yeah he had an electrician customer who got mixed up on what type of wire he needed but Bro was like ‘don’t you need this type of wire for that?’ and the guy was like ‘oh yeah that’s right’ Dude had like 20 years of experience too. Damn that’s a frightening thought isn’t it?

6 Likes

Please send the good niche ones my way. Husband is an EE who is… involved with the less ideal applications of the field :laughing: I enjoy sending him things that cause face palms.

11 Likes