Forum Maintenance

Now it likes me. So, one of the posts I lost - login is merely different. It works fine. That on Windows. I stayed logged in on iOS. The only change was the forum welcome message popped back up the first time I went back in (but not thereafter).

1 Like

This explains why things look a tiny bit different. The heart is in a different place or something.

3 Likes

Is anyone else now mostly unable to read the forum on their phone? I have an old iphone that won’t take OS updates any more so that could be why. It jumps around a lot within a thread while I’m trying to read, pages keep reloading themselves constantly while I’m trying to read, then ultimately stops loading entirely.

It was OK during the day yesterday but last night and this morning I can’t read it.

It’s probably just my shitty phone.

Not happening for me, sorry. sounds like what happened with the ads that were put in back when. That sucks.

That sounds terrible, trisprior. What version of iOS, what browser, and what phone are you using? That will help me identify.

1 Like

iphone 6, Safari, 12.4.8 (it won’t take updates past this)
Honestly, a lot of websites do this on my phone these days. The forum was one of the few that didn’t! So it likely is just me.

ETA: and I AM biting the bullet and getting a new damn phone/plan this month so don’t knock yourself out on my account if this proves to be a massive code fix or something.

Can you try to download “discoursehub” app on the app store? It’s an alternate way to view the forums.

1 Like

I was able to download the app and the same thing happens there. I’ll try and troubleshoot more after work.

SHIT, this means I actually have to do work today without forum distraction :rofl:

5 Likes

It’s okay on my OG IPhone SE with iOS 14.8.1

2 Likes

I bet it’s an OS thing. My iphone refused to update any further than what I’ve got now, I’m surprised it didn’t entirely brick.

1 Like

Yeah, may be. IPhone 6 won’t update to iOS 13, so it’s not just your phone; it’s planned obsolescence. I need to update to 15 - it’s going to be the last one I can, or that’s the rumor, anyway.

Various mac devices having problems (desktop, older iPads, and a newer iPad). All use Safari. When I pick “Unread” I get the list, but when I click on a specific thread it seems to load, but then it jumps up much higher in the thread responses, and keeps moving up (judging by sidebar scroll). If I try to force it down to new entries, it pops back up again. And the screen is blank except for the thread “altimeter”. It might be trying to load the whole thread (?).

4 Likes

Oh, I can try my ipad mini. I also have an first-gen iPad but it lost access to most of the internet, including OMD, a couple months ago. It’s now a Kindle.

1 Like

This is exactly what I am experiencing.
It’s OK on my macbook but I’m using Chrome, not Safari.

Ipad mini, Safari, iOS 12.5.5, also jumping as described.

Iphone SE on 14.8.1 is not jumping, also using Safari.

Does this happen AFTER you have already loaded a thread, or on first load? I’m wondering if it is cacheing related

I have tried going back to the same thread a few times, and (maybe I should be more patient), but I get the same jump and blank page (though header and such are there, just not replies).

I can click the links to see what reply another user liked, takes me to the exact spot. And now I can “quote” again! At least on this device. I will check the other non-working device facts - probably tomorrow)

The forum is working in iPad Air 2, iOS 15.1.

are you experiencing this on every thread or a specific thread? If so, what’s the thread and the # of threads?

Anyone experiencing this up for doing a screen recording so I can diagnose? If you’re on a mac, you can do it using quicktime (open quicktime > new screen recording). If you’re on iOS, you can swipe up from the bottom and screen record using the little one that looks like a “record” button.

Let me know. sorry for the trouble. want to get things working smoothly for all

Not that I’m happy that you’re going through this too, but HOORAY it’s not just me having a shitty phone.

3 Likes

On problematic devices, every unread thread I tried (2-4). Not sure I have the capability to record (swiping up on this device closes Safari) - I may not be doing it right.

1 Like