Financial Hogwarts Houses Central (was "March of Time" Tracking Challenge)

I’ve got my 15 minute increment spreadsheet printed ready for today. Already I feel a little anxious about this but I’ll take it a day at a time.

Predictions per week:
Sleep: 56 hrs
Work: 40 hrs (might track this, not sure)
Internets: 10 hrs
Tv/movies at home: 10 hrs
Social time with friends: 1-2 hrs (Would like this to be higher)
Cooking: 6 hrs
Shopping/groceries: 2 hrs
Exercise: 3.5 hrs
Commuting: 1.25 hrs
Hygiene: 2 hrs

What am I missing? We’ll soon find out I guess?

2 Likes

I’m really excited for this challenge. I want to start slow and build on a current tracking system by setting TV and Gym goals.

TV goal: less than 7 hours per week
Gym goal: over 5 hours per week

Will track in .25 increments.

5 Likes

Adding that I want to track time spent reading books! Fiction and nonfiction included (will probably mostly be fiction), but I’m going to distinguish audiobooks from physical books and ebooks, but I’ll track both categories.

4 Likes

Ok I’m in. Gonna start by tracking how much time I spend standing up at work, and :grimacing: how much time I spend on the couch.
Predictions: standing: currently maybe 2 hours a week, not nearly enough; couch: 3-4 hours a night, way too much

2 Likes

I’m set up now! I decided to use a Google spreadsheet for simplicity.

1. I will track everything in half hour increments for the first week. I may adjust to be more detailed in later weeks if needed.

I will keep a separate tally of cumulative time spent trapped under a cat that will probably overlap with other categories.

1. Predictions for the week:
    Sleep: 56 hours
    Getting ready for work: 3.5 hours
    Commute: 5 hours
    Work: 40 hours
    Lunch breaks: 2.5 hours
    Running: 4.5 hours
    Other exercise: 0.5 hours
    Cooking/baking: 2 hours
    Laundry: 2 hours
    Housework: 6 hours
    House projects: 3 hours
    Watching tv/movies: 8 hours
    Reading: 6 hours
    Shopping (for groceries and other household things): 1.5 hours
    Board games: 2 hours
    Crafting: 4 hours
    Scooping kitty litter: 1 hour
    Browsing on phone: 7 hours
    Getting ready for bed: 1.5 hours
1 Like

I was considering doing this as well!

4 Likes

I set myself up this morning, here are my predictions, per week:

bedtime (I don’t have a fitbit or anything): 60
cat tasks (including playtime): 5
language study: 10
cooking: 10
personal (shower, hair): 3
social: 5
games: 10
internet: 40
TV: 5
reading: 5
cleaning: 5
garden: 5

Some of these categories are overlapping, and this is not the full hours in the week, so we shall see.

2 Likes

It’s March!! Ok. I’m gonna track the whole month!

Here are some major areas I want to track & predictions for average hours / week I spend on them:

• Work: 40 hours
    • meetings: 12 hours
    • One specific recurring report I hate: 4 hours
    • actual programming: 4 hours
    • other work: 22 hours
  • Sleep: 60 hours
  • Exercise: 3 hours
  • Watching shows: 10 hours
  • Social: 6 hours
  • Other: 49 hours

(Edited to fix math to be proportional to 168 hours in a week)

1 Like

Glad we’re starting on a Sunday. It seems to be much easier to track time than I thought it would be, I’m a little nervous about tracking my working time but I think it will help me to be more focused on getting my tasks completed.

3 Likes

Forgot to upload my best guesses yesterday, but what I had:

Sleep: 114/2 = 57 hrs
Life (meals, hygiene, etc): 14/2 = 7 hrs
Computer (undirected): 20/2 = 10 hrs
Cleaning: 4/2 = 2 hrs
Errands: 6/2 = 3 hrs
Read: 17/2 = 8.5 hrs
Write: 6/2 = 3 hrs
Cook: 7/2 = 3.5 hrs
Work: 44/2 = 22 hrs
Meetings: 32/2 = 16 hrs
Travel: 7/2 = 3.5 hrs
Social: 57/2 = 28.5 hrs
Exercise: 8/2 = 4 hrs

I’m trying to categorize by what I’m focused on, so if I’ve got music playing on the tv but am also on the computer it’ll get lumped under computer (as with work-work vs meetings at work). However this week is out of the ordinary since I’m flying out Friday for a weekend with friends…right now it looks like I’m ridiculously social which I’m really not :slight_smile: . On the other hand, that means I’ll get a lot of reading in since that’s what I’ll spend the hours on the plane doing and based on the above I’ll count that as reading vs travel.

And as I found out today when I starting actually doing stuff, I probably missing a couple categories…games (which may just get lumped under ‘undirected computer’ and volunteer work. The tracking will be interesting.

1 Like

I’m in. Probably spreadsheet. Here are the estimates:
activity hours per week
work 50
exercise 7
walking dog 8
cleaning/cooking 5
coding/creative 5
volunteer 6
social 7
adult life maintenance 5
leisure media 3
sleeping/prep routines 63
idle 5
project 4

2 Likes

Predictions:
-I’m going to be annoyed once I tally how much time I spend doing housework/meal prep (15 hours/week - might divide this between regular upkeep and house projects)
-5-6 hours mindless internet scrolling
-55 hours working

Goals:
-Like tracking spending, gotta know where its going
-Find where there is “lost time” and can tighten up my schedule to maximize downtime (always my goal lol)
-Decrease mindless scrolling (the screen time function on iphone isn’t that accurate)

3 Likes

Alright I’m in!

My goal is to do EXTREME tracking for this week, Monday to Monday, at 15 minute increments. I already use Toggl to track work time, but I’m going to include non-work time for a week as well.

I’m also curious to report time from iOS tracking screen time automatically so that will be interesting too.

This week I’m flying to three different cities so I’ll have a lot of time on planes. I was trying to figure out how to handle that, because normally I track “travel” generally including trains to the airport as well as planes, but I’m thinking I’ll go more granular now, and also if I’m doing something specific on the plane I’ll track that separately too.

Should be a fun experiment!

6 Likes

Day1 was a lazy Sunday. Many naps. :sleeping: Also catching up on This Is Us. Also some cleaning, and fixing ceramics and shoes.

2 Likes

I think I’m already dropping out – sorry, y’all. This is just adding weird anxiety to my life and that’s a thing I need less of, not more.

Rooting for everyone to find out useful things and I’ll be sort of bopping along in a spirit of “focus on doing the things that best serve!” without the actual tracking. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I just realized this is gonna be a mess cause I’m in three different timezones this week.

Like on some days, 11am-1pm doesn’t exist. On other days, it happens twice!

6 Likes

What about just using PST representatively?:joy:

but then it’s gonna look like I go to bed at 7pm or wake up at 3am which is not true!

1 Like

I’m trying to label my spreadsheet in a way that it’s pivotable, but I’m not sure what to do about when I’m doing multiple things, like if I’m eating while working or listening to an audiobook while stretching. Do I go with the primary activity or do I count both???

I did * * with contains and I have sum totals for different key words (such as cat, bike, makeup, eat). Some of which will appear with another word I count, so I will have more than 168 hours in a week but an idea of how many 15 min increments contained each type of thing.

1 Like