Financial Hogwarts Houses Central (was "March of Time" Tracking Challenge)

Cool looking app! And they maybe support apple watch, too? I added it to the list!

2 Likes

I’m in for this but will come back to add goals before March!

Edit: I’m going to track a week, and then see what I want to alter.

One goal: I would like to increase my exercise - I know I’m not doing enough and need to get my money’s worth out of my Y membership

I’m scared to see how much time I’m trapped under the cat afraid to move because she may never come back. This contributes to a huge amount of being parked on the couch time.

1 Like

Edit to mention that I’m in for the EXTREME version, as moderation is not really my thing :upside_down_face:

I’m in! I started using the Life Cycle earlier this month (I think @ginja_ninja recommended it – sorry if I’m misattributing that!), which tracks time largely based on location. My free trial of the premium version lasts through early March, so I need to look into what the differences are between premium and free. I also had made my own private February challenge to track my work hours, so I’ve been doing that by spreadsheet.

I think for March the things I want to track more specifically are

1. running (I track how many miles I run, but I don’t have a great sense of how much time it takes up in my week). I’m guessing 12 hours??

2. home workouts. This is like maybe 10-30 minutes per week right now but I’d like it to be at more like 1-2 hours.

3. walking Woody. Probably 2-3 hours?? Sweaty and I split dog walking duties, so that’s not all the exercise he gets. Also somewhere I want to increase though, especially as spring approaches.

I should add one in for cleaning and might do so later. I don’t like cleaning, but my mom is visiting in April so I have more incentive than usual!!

I want to keep tracking work though. That’s been pretty consistently 55-60 hours/week for February :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m in for the EXTREME version! I’m using the 15 min increments Google Sheet.

Predictions: (in a week)

• 10 hours of TV
  • 4 hours of excercise
  • 100 4 hours of dishes, laundry, cleaning in general
  • 3 hours of driving to/from work
  • 6 hours of internet roaming
  • 50 hours sleeping
  • 40 hours working

That totals 117 hours what’s going on with those other 50ish hours in the week? Probably Puglet related :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’ve downloaded RescueTime but I’ve already run into some complications. One, I can’t install it at work because I don’t have permissions. Two, even using the phone app and creating categories I think the categories disappear? Like right now I have 2h5m uncategorized time except I definitely did categorize it as getting ready for work, picking up the house, and commute. This also does not seem to help my need to double-count some time. I’ll poke around with some of the other options but paper may have to be the way to go and it already feels like it will be onerous because I’m terrible at guestimating how long things take (as evidenced by my naturally running ten minutes late for everything in life).

2 Likes

I am in for MOT Lite. I am only doing it for certain activities, and they may not even be the same week. If it’s easy to do one week of tracking and I want to keep going, I will.

My goals are:

• How much time does Duckling spend watching TV and what am I doing while he’s watching it (i.e. why are we turning the TV on). I need to record whether he asks for TV or if I suggest it. I also want to track how much he asks for it and I redirect him (which includes suggesting other activities and waiting out the tantrums).
  • Less effort for better parenting
  • Encourage myself to make my work a priority and focus on it. I don’t know all the details on my habits around distracting myself, so I want to know more about those and let go of them.

Tracking:

• Duckling’s time (Categories are TV, Set Up Activities and Free Play)
  • My work time (Categories TBD, but will be using an app for this).
    I’ll be trying a few apps and tracking methods over the next week to see what I like.

Predictions:

• Duckling probably has 2 hours/day of TV time, with a max of 4 hours/day on our worst day each week.
  • 4 hours free play
  • 1 hour mum-directed, “set up” activities. These seem to hold his concentration for less time.
  • I am supposed to spend 15 hours a week working, and have a lot of time to catch up on… but I think at the moment I spend 7 hours a week working.

I fully anticipate tracking is going to change my habits. Also, we don’t have “normal” weeks around here, so if I do manage a fortnight of tracking each of these things that would be extra helpful.

3 Likes

I’m in, but I’m not sure what for yet. I’ll try to play around with some of the apps before March starts (which is Sunday? How did that happen??).

2 Likes

I’m in, and hopefully all in all month. I’ll post specifics later, but I fully expect to be horrified by the amount of time computering. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Tracking challenge

I’m in for the MOT extreme challenge. I used Toggl at my last job to get things done and to see what I was spending my days on. I’ll probably try it again with one of the other apps (RescueTime on my laptop and iphone) to have indications but I don’t foresee myself being consistent in Toggl. So I’ll mainly use the spreadsheet in 30 mns increments (maybe the 15 mns). I’ve started the spreadsheet today and we’ll see if I can manage it.

I have created categories that look like this:

Self / Care Work Family Chores Entertainment
Sleeping Commute-Work Family-All Chrores-Cook Entertain-Read
Eating Commute-Oth Family-Kids Chrores-Lund Entertain-Int
Exercise-Walk Work-Prod Family-Oth Chrores-Clean Entertain-Phone
Exercise-Oth Work-Meeting Family-Med Chrores-Declut Entertain-TV
Hygiene-Wash Work-Break Errands-Lib Chores-Admin Entertain-Oth
Hygiene-Teeth Work-Online Errands-Groc Chores-Kids
Hygiene-Oth Work-Admin Errands-Oth Chores-Oth
Education-Driv
Education-Cert

Predictions:

• 5O hours a week spent sleeping, 6 hours eating, 3 hours on hygiene, and 8 hours on education
  • 10 hours spent commuting and 35 hours at work (maybe 20 productive)
  • 15 hours for family including 3 hours really interacting with the kids (reading or playing) and at least 5 hours on medical or admin tasks for LG
  • 20 hours of chores with maybe 5 hours on laundry and the rest on cooking and cleaning and sorting kids clothes
  • No idea where I spent the rest of my time but probably wasting time on internet or on TV

Goal

I want to see roughly how much time I spend taking care of myself (sleeping, eating, hygiene, education, etc.) versus work and family and chores and entertainment.

At work, I want to know how much time I’m wasting online or on breaks and I want to confirm that I have two much meetings.

My goal is to see where I’m spending my valuable time. I feel overwhelm with everything I have to do with a FT job and 2/3 small kids so hopefully this will helps inform some streamlining or outsourcing. I also want to have more time to exercise and have fun so something will have to give. I have a vague idea but having the data to support it would be great.

6 Likes

I’m starting time tracking today, to get in some swing before Sunday, and I’m already realizing that tracking itself may make my work procrastination go down, because I have to switch the timer from Work to Work Procrastination. Just doing that alone may keep me from switching gears into procrastinatory mode, because I have to acknowledge what I’m doing.

7 Likes

I just want to say that I noticed today in the Log app that

Toilet Talk

I’ve spent a total of 123 minutes pooping over 21 days.

:joy:

You’re welcome.

6 Likes

@Illathrael how much of that time was spent scrolling after you’re done? That’s one of my key issues…

6 Likes

Hahaha um…that’s not something that I track, maybe I should :joy:

1 Like

I’d like to try this. I will definitely track the first 3 weeks of the month. We’re on vacation the last week, but I’m gonna try to track that week as well because I think it’ll be interesting to see how much time I can spend actually hanging out and enjoying vacation rather that playing games on my phone or on social media, which I do at home.
I’ve never tracked my time before, so I think this will be interesting.

I’ll be using a 30-min block spreadsheet to track.

Predictions:
Work: 45-50 hours/week
TV: probably something ridiculous like 70 hours/week since I have tv on when I’m working most of the time
Gaming: 35 hours/week
Social Media: 14 hours/week
Spending time with family: 32 hours/week
Exercise: 5 hours/week
Household (including cooking, shopping, cleaning): 15 hours/week
Me time: 10 hours/week (reading, journaling)

For vacation week, I’m betting I’ll spend 2 hours/day playing games, 2 hours/day on my phone, and maybe 5 hours/day hanging with friends. hoping to sneak in an hour or 2/day for naps.

3 Likes

I’m in! I’m going to install rescue time on my phone and laptop.

Predictions: I have a deep inability in understand the linear passage of time, so in broad generalities:

• A lot of mindless scrolling in the morning to avoid starting the day
  • A lot of reading on my phone, especially in the evenings.
  • A lot of procrastination at work.
  • I think I’m going to bed at reasonable times?

Goals:

• Find out where it is all going
  • Reduce the mindless scrolling
  • How much time am I actually using for all the projects I want to do vs general fuxking around.
  • Where can I fit in more exercise or professional development?
3 Likes

I’m in. I mostly lurk on the forums but I’ve been thinking about time and efficiency for a while with work- which also affects my home life. I’m trying to do 0 work from home unless it’s planned/intentional. I also find myself thinking “I don’t have time” when I totally do but am just messing around.

4 Likes

Joining in! I printed out Laura Vanderkam’s 30-minute tracker a few days ago and am already getting a sense of some patterns I’d like to change.

Predictions:

• 37.5 hours/week at work, maybe 20 hours/week of actual “productive” work while there
  • 3 hours/week working out
  • 15 hours/week commuting and getting around (N.B. I’m considering switching my commute from subway/bus pass to bike sharing to save money, and will be interested to see how this affects travel time)
  • 15 hours/week watching videos/TV
  • 3 hours/week writing

Goals:

• Increase actual productive time at work, or find out if there’s not enough work to justify a full-time role (something I suspect but haven’t tried tracking yet)
  • Increase writing time to 10 hours/week
  • Replace mindless entertainment time with more productivity (working on my teaching certificate, learning languages, taking online classes, anything!)
4 Likes

I’m in. I have aTimeLogger and can use it on a good day. I’m printing out the 15 minute spreadsheet for those less good days, largely because I can make up categories on the fly instead of having to fit into the pre-selected categories I’ve set up in the app.

I’m going to do my best to track all of my time for a week. I am however going to accept what I’m actually able to do and not be too hard on myself for what I don’t do.

Predictions? I honestly feel like I have no earthly idea, but I’ll make some swag guesses:

Teaching yoga classes: 12 hours per week
Preparing for Yoga Classes, yoga business tasks: 4 hours per week
Sleep: 45 hours per week (insomnia issues, I wish I could get more sleep)
Trying to sleep (when I should just give up and get up): 10 hours per week
Meditation: 2.5 hours per week
Cleaning, clutter, organizing: 1 hour per week
Food prep, kitchen maintenance, grocery shopping: 15 hours per week
Lost to funks: 10 hours per week
Internet surfing - mindless: 13 hours per week
Internet usage to complete tasks: 8 hours per week
Exercise: 5 hours per week
Yoga classes, taking: 3 hours per week
Driving: 6 hours per week
Meetings & Appointments: 5 hours per week
Socializing: 3 hours per week
Errands: 2 hours per week

That’s about 145 hours per week, so that’s 20 hours I just don’t know

3 Likes

Okay, I’m in. Simple tracking, full month, less-stress edition.

Rules

• Track entire month of March
  • Allow yourself grace (Forgot to track one instance? Estimate and move on.)
  • Use Harvest Android app to track
  • Track creative time
  • Track physical activity time

Goals

• Observe how much times is currently being spent on my own enjoyment
  • Focus more on personal enjoyment and less on sheer productivity
  • Do not micromanage (thus inducing anxiety)
  • Discover how much of your free time is spent on yourself
  • Discover how much your free time is worth to you

Predictions

• I spend less than five hours a weekday on myself, doing something other than consuming media.
  • I will begin spending more time on myself during the weekdays by the second week of tracking.
Bonus

Include “Toilet Talk” summary each week BECAUSE IT’S FUN.

5 Likes

Think I’ll give this a try. For the first week I’ll try to track everything in half hour increments (using a spreadsheet since there’s no way I’m putting logging software on my work computer and I don’t always have my phone with me). Not sure how I’ll track split time for things like coding while listening in on a meeting or walking while reading, but that’s part of what I want to sort out this week to see if there are things to focus on the other weeks. Will play around with some spreadsheets when I have time today and see if I can come up with some predictions…I expect it’ll be interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like