Fast food/quick takeout

What are your favourite cheapish fast takeout options?
I need to spend less without quitting takeout and my new suburb is a rich people one. Please post inspiring cheap foods

3 Likes
  1. fries and barbecue sauce
  2. popeyes mashed potatoes and gravy (I ignore the chicken,) or beans and rice with hot sauce
  3. tacos, burritos and bowls
  4. singapore noodles
  5. aloo saag
  6. pakoras
    7)aloo gobi
  7. green curry
  8. red curry
  9. chili paneer and feel sick/should learn to carry lactaid
    11)hakka fried rice and the baby pukes
  10. falafel plate
  11. beyond burger in the lettuce wrap
  12. hash browns
  13. just getting good snacks from the grocery store
3 Likes

Popeyes just get red rice and beans + 1-2 biscuits (I don’t remember if you do gluten). The chicken is yummy but I always want about 1/3 the chicken that I’ve actually ordered.

If you have a chipotle I get a bowl and eat it for two meals. You can ask for extra everything but meat and guacamole for no upcharge. $8-10 is medium for one meal but reasonably cheap for two meals.

Otherwise lunch menus are a lot more likely to be sub $10 and also have apps thrown in.

2 Likes

Bagels in general, but especially bagel with fried egg and tofu cream cheese.

All of the above. Also sandwiches (called hoagies in my corner of the world). For cheap + fast I also like keeping these supermarket things in the freezer:

• Packets of chicken tikka masala (Costco has one that feeds 2 adults + plenty of leftovers for about $8, and we just make rice with it and steam kale directly on top of the rice if we’re feeling ambitious)
  • Chinese dumplings
1 Like

Pizza by the slice, palak paneer (usually about 3 meals if I add enough rice), POUTINE!, dumplings, breakfast sandos, Chinese restaurant lunch specials, Taco Bell quesarito. When I lived in Toronto I would go to Chinatown and get 4 $1.00 steamed pork buns. Supermarket sushi and seaweed salad.

Writing it all out I realize how much of my diet revolves around cheese.

1 Like

This is wonderful and until my body rebelled I was fully on team cheese.

2 Likes

This reminds me: in grad school every Friday one of the Indian clubs had a fundraiser where they sold 3 absolutely giant samosas for $5. That was an excellent lunch.

3 Likes

Living the dream!

1 Like

We typically only do Thai or Indian as takeout. I don’t know that I’d call it cheap though, but my takeout philosophy is to get something I cannot make myself (…ahem…my husband make), at least not well.

My comfort food takeout is Chipotle if I’m broken down in tears at work. As it’s the closest thing to me.

2 Likes

peroshkis are large and filling at $6/pc at the Russian dumplings place near me.

3 Likes

I live down the street from a grocery store with many Russian items including pelmeni, which is great but if I want pirozhki I have to make them myself. fist shake That is to say, enjoy the good fortune!

4 Likes

Chinese has generally been my value takeout of choice since I can at least claim I ate a vegetable. Also Won Ton soup was great when I was sick in grad school. I recognize ~$10/item isn’t necessarily cheap but it typically stretches to a few meals. We usually get an extra order of fried rice or noodles for lunch/tomorrow.

4 Likes

Chinese food was a go to in my old place! I could get so many meals

For pretty cheap, I just ordered za’atar flat bread, baba ghanoush, a chicken and rice plate (but they had veggie options), and baklava.

2 Likes

hummus + salsa + coconut chutney + chips from the curbside pickup place

i should stop on my way home…

I get a quarter pounder + fries and add salad from the fridge, or not if I’m not feeling like green stuff. Also nice and easy for us is the Japanese place nearby, miso soup + katsu curry + gyoza feeds both of us.

2 Likes

I have to admit lent (which is not my religious tradition) is my favorite time of year because filet o fish are on sale