Ethically Buying Used Phones

Does anyone have any tips on how/where to buy ethical (ie not stolen) used electronics? I’m probably going to need to replace my iPhone 5 in the next year or so and reeeaaally don’t want to pay a grand for a new phone. My current phone was a hand-me-down from a family member so it’s been a while since I was in the market for a phone.

I’ve looked at Craigslist, Nextdoor, and Facebook Marketplace and still don’t have a sense for how to screen out scams and stolen property; does anyone have advicef? Any phrases to watch out for, questions to ask? Or is buying a refurbished option the safer option?

I have a bought phones on eBay. It didn’t occur to me that maybe they were stolen. :flushed: I hope they weren’t. I tend to look at a lot of listings and try to evaluate it it’s a phone flipping business or just a person selling off their old phone after they’ve upgraded to a new one. I trust those ones more, even though I didn’t think about the criminal possibility. And also the feedback, of course. I bought one refurbished phone and then it didn’t work right and I got a refund but that was enough to put me off on refurbished phones, so now I just look for used.

You can buy refurbished phones from regular stores like best buy! That’s what I’d recommend. It’s a little more but you have recourse if it doesn’t work or isn’t as pictured. I buy all my phones that way.