Ethical childrens clothes?

I know there’s been conversations here and there about good brands to buy for ethical childrens clothes (aside from buying second hand) but I thought we could try to pool that knowledge here.

Kiddo’s pajama pants are getting holes in them and pajamas don’t tend to be sold second hand, so what brands should I check out?

4 Likes

I love primary especially for PJs. I don’t think they ship internationally though, US only maybe.

5 Likes

Oh! And I’ve actually really liked all the Hannah Anderson clothes we’ve gotten as hand me downs, but I hadn’t bought any :grimacing: but it seems like they hold up well at least! And they don’t stretch out super bad like a lot of pure cotton ones do. Denser fabric than some of the brands.

2 Likes

I like Primary too! You can find a lot of their clothes (including PJs) on second hand sites like Poshmark or Mercari.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Do you know any kids a size or two up?

I have ten tabs open with cute kids clothes from expensive sustainable brands

4 Likes

I used to at my old job, but even then I didn’t get pajamas much.

1 Like

PJs are the golden ticket of hand me downs haha. Especially if you’re picky like me (I don’t want any of the chemically treated ones, so I’m limited in what I’ll take). I’m guessing because people have relatively fewer pairs, and they often get teeth brushed and breakfast done in them, so they get pretty stained? Not sure, that’s just been my operating theory!

2 Likes

We got three amazing pj’s handed down once and it has never happened again! Firetruck, construction trucks, and teddy bears!! HOW?!

2 Likes

Oh yes that’s another reason I’m high maintenance, at this point I don’t dress her in any “characters”. So all the Minnie PJs get a pass haha.

2 Likes

I consider most second-hand shopping fairly ethical so I try to mostly do that. I like poshmark, kidizen and mercari. Thredup is usually cheaper and worth a look too but I like to be able to ask questions and there are always fewer details about them.

ETA: I’m trying to avoid buying new cotton except from really ethical sources because of the Uigher crisis, so for me that means I’m pretty much only buying used. But if I couldn’t find used, I might look at one of these brands: https://goodonyou.eco/ethical-childrens-clothing-brands/

2 Likes

Noooo idea if this is a good spot, but closest thread I could find. Hanna Andersson now sells preowned clothes!

4 Likes

Oh cool!!! I’ve never bought and HA myself but the hand me downs I’ve gotten have stayed the same from the day I get them to the day she outgrows them. I’ve been quite impressed.

1 Like

Big Hanna Andersson sale today!

3 Likes

Trying to buy a used snowsuit for the babe on Marketplace. Anyone had a GAP brand? Wondering if they kept baby warm enough. Looks pretty puffy but that’s never a good indication of actual warmth

1 Like

This one is 2x the cost but seems more legit in terms of warmth claims

I have bought numerous pieces of kid winter gear on eBay, and I really like Columbia and Land’s End. The last LE coat I bought had multiple tags sewn in for names, with the intention that as it was handed down/on you could cut the old name out and start fresh. I liked that a lot!

2 Likes

I should check eBay! Thanks

We’ve only done Scandinavian brands and Quebecois brands for the tiny. Last winter we did a Columbia coat over used Old Navy snowpants and were fine. GAP I suspect would have different layers of warmth

If they are cheap enough, get two - one can be washed while the other cycles into use.

3 Likes

I got a toddlers Gap snow jacket on eBay, and it was so good (elastic cuffs, warm insulation, fleecy lining) that I bought the next size up when it was time too. There’s a decent chance the 2nd one will be good! The first one looks like the baffles are looser, so maybe a design with a cheaper constitution.

1 Like