Distance learning/remote schooling/what is school even this year catchall thread

This can be a spot to pool all the useful resources we find and also try to figure out together what the hell is even going on this year.

I’m feeling this meme lately:

5 Likes

Not really related to having children doing distance ed from home, because I’ve always done university level, but I have been teaching online since the late 90s, so if there’s anything that might be useful from that perspective, feel free to tag me and I’ll see what I can do to help.

2 Likes

Khan academy has a lot of classes, but a very specific teaching style that doesn’t work for everyone.

For English I find reading lists for that age and have the kid read the book to me then tell me about it. I tend to fall asleep while being read to so the summary is good for both of us.

5 Likes

No idea if anyone would have some clues here, but I’m basically asking everyone at this point -

Kiddo uses Canvas on an iPad. We parents have also accessed it through our PCs and android phones. Some of his lessons include links to external sites that have educational games and videos and the school board has some deal with them that gets us a membership to the content. If we access it on our computers, no problem. If we click the same link on the iPad the websites demand log in credentials. Why?

1 Like

I homeschooled for 5 years, mostly doing a blend of unschooling and Charlotte Mason-ish style stuff. But turns out my kiddos actually like more structure than comes naturally to me but still the casual environment of being at home with me available for 1:1 support so we’ve now been in a virtual charter school for two full years, starting the third.

Some resources that really clicked with my kids:

ALEKS for math.
Edutyping for typing
Spelling City and IXL for extra ELA stuff
History and science is a blend of resources depending on grade level and subject area

Writing can be challenging, I like how their school focuses each quarter on a different style of writing in a guided format - usually informative, persuasive, short story, poetry

2 Likes

Maybe something to do with how the authentication tokens are handled? I doubt anyone besides school district IT or the vendor will have a good answer

1 Like

Highly recommend the crash course YouTube channel for really good resources in different subject areas- biology, economics, etc. so good!

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a good channel! I’d probably say middle school or older to get the most out of it.

2 Likes

Found the answer to this by asking the website customer service people - they made it that way on purpose! All their content is free on a desktop but you need a (paid) subscription to view that same content on a mobile device. Boo! I do not want my kid begging to use my computer all the time. But at least now I know it’s not just some weird tech issue.

3 Likes