Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Ha I just did another round of artwork dealing. Strength be with you lol.

3 Likes

In our house new artwork goes on the fridge (sometimes they even put it on there still wet :woman_facepalming: ), then around once per week the fridge gets cleaned off and it all goes in a pile on top of the fridge, and then once per month or so I take everything off the fridge and throw it away in the big trash bin outside.

No one has ever had hurt feelings from this process (although I make sure I am unobserved throwing it all away from the top). There are seriously 3+ new pieces of artwork every day! SO MUCH

10 Likes

Weā€™ve got a really cool frame we put the best stuff in for a while, then I pull it into an accordion folder for stuff I want to keep. When sheā€™s about to enter K I plan to scan a bunch and make a photo book then only keep a few of the originals. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll do a pre K, K-6, then 6+ type books for my own nostalgia. And then I donā€™t have to worry about colors fading and stuff like that, and wonā€™t saddle her with giant bins later haha

And my personal rule is I donā€™t keep anything that was an adult project, like a super specific ā€œgoalā€. I keep from stuff that was her idea/process/vision.

19 Likes

I cleaned out my linen, medicine, and vanity cabinets. I also cleaned out my desk and filed papers.

10 Likes

I helped LB, age 12, purge his room before he packed it all up so we could paint and do floors. I hope he learned some things about the process but at least he has less stuff now!

6 Likes

One organizer person I read suggested getting extra boxes from the pizza store when you go and storing kidsā€™ artwork in themā€¦

3 Likes

Maybe not decluttering so much as organizing.

This is my office closet. Office doubles as a guest room when we have guests.

I want enough shelving that I can store craft materials, paper records, kitchen overflow like the canning tub etc in here, but also leave space for a guest to hang clothes.

Thoughts? Especially for not having a dead corner where nothing fits?

5 Likes

Why not move the wire shelf, with its ability to also be a clothes hanger rack at right angles to the left and near the front of the space? (If thereā€™s enough room to comfortably walk by if itā€™s there.). If you do that, you can put a bookcase maybe in the back with your office supplies on it and still hanging space will be available for guests when you have them?

You might have to put in added support for the shelf if it is not supported by the walls.

1 Like

I vote hooks by the doorway for guests. How often do people have to hang more than 1-2 things on a trip these days? Then theyā€™re kinda out of the way when not in use

5 Likes

Is it as deep as it looks? If yes I would put more shelves on the back wall and depending on how many clothes someone might bring, you can hang a bar in front of the shelves for the occasional use it needs. If itā€™s empty just walk under it to get to the shelves. Or just a few hooks on the side wall if thatā€™s enough. If you donā€™t have to access the shelves often then you can also use the bar.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite deep, like probably 6 feet (maybe about 3 feet wide). I would love to have shelves along the side (and maybe the back???) to get maximal use out of the closet, but hnnnngh I hate dead corners and no hanging space!

Haha see I hang ALL my clothes if given a chance :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s currently just screwed into the two walls, so it would need something on either end or I would need a different type of shelf.

But I am liking the ideas that involve moving clothing stuff front and regular storage further back. Hmmm.

Maybe I put in the number of hooks that I would use :rofl: and then itā€™s easier to make storage shelving in the back?

1 Like

Did a big clothing purge - filled three 13 gallon garbage bags (clean clothes, rolled up) for Goodwill.

But, believe me, thereā€™s still no shortage of clothes.

I did a huge purge a few years ago, these are things I held onto, but havenā€™t really worn. I did get rid of things I wear, but donā€™t love. :wave:

7 Likes

I have something similar in that itā€™s deep but I didnā€™t need shelves in the back. I just have hooks on the wall and keep like the steam mop behind the coats but thereā€™s plenty of room for shelves if I wanted them. I move the coats if I need to get behind.

2 Likes

Floor to ceiling deep shelves will hold a ton of stuff. I would probably get 5 or 6 and space them however works best for what youā€™re storing. You could always do the back shelves and hanging rod and add a shallow bookcase on the side wall after if thereā€™s room. And that would be simple to remove if you donā€™t like it.

7 Likes

not to be too weird about things, but if you canā€™t find it a home, Iā€™ve taken to picking up those types of things at thrift stores and would gladly welcome it to my home :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

This one is spoken for:

But this one is an option, and maybe more your vibe? I made this one, so not the quality craftsmanship my mom had.

There are two others my mom made from leftover yarn - so a bunch of different colors in a zigzag pattern.

7 Likes

blues & browns! how do you know me so well??

5 Likes

Oh my god I love the red one so much

2 Likes

We are both onions! I just guessed because itā€™s more my vibe.

3 Likes