Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

This is beautiful.

1 Like

My brain just took a bath. Thank you.

2 Likes

What can I do about visually decluttering this awful cord situation?

Do we think some $20 Amazon gizmo could handle it??

https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Under-Management-Organizer-Damage/dp/B0CCW69ZS3

4 Likes

My husband has this one and it’s worked well:

He has 3 monitors, 2 computers, and uhhh… 4? 5? Cameras and their chargers plus external flashes and chargers and… idk, a buncha crap with cords. It all fits.

5 Likes

Since y’all liked yesterday so much. (Never mind the pile of cardboard I cropped out.)

10 Likes

Oooh very nice

I didn’t get rid of anything, but I did move some stuff out of both of the bags I take to appointments, so they’ll be much easier to carry. Some I haven’t used yet but may in the future, some just belongs at home. They’re all in a closet where there is space and they’re easy to access.

3 Likes

Cupboard was getting annoying to close, so I moved some kid cups to second tier hidden high cupboard for later possible use, and decluttered 2 mugs and 2 old water bottles and an old travel coffee mug.

7 Likes

Donated some spices (work free table), 2 water bottles, a teapot, 2 tea cups, and some old glass storage containers and now the kitchen has SO much more room.
Also donated a large bag of clothes and recycled a metric fluff-ton of socks for a work sock recycling drive.

5 Likes
  • Donation pile: a pair of work pants that have a great pattern but don’t fit quite perfectly; a pair of mint skinny jeans that fall down too much when I wear them; a bright orange workout shirt that is a bit too bright; a zebra-print sheath dress with an amazing cut out back that I used to wear all the time when I had a young sexy bod and which now looks a bit odd on my approaching-middle-age bod; same for a really cool velvety gold high-low wrap dress that was perfect for Renn Faires when my waist was two inches smaller
  • Used up two tea candles (a tiny way to move less stuff but still)
  • Threw out a business card I was never gonna look at again lol
  • Used up a tea sampler!
10 Likes

I cleared out a kitchen cabinet yesterday and another one today. I took everything out of the cabinet above our fridge and found multiple things that I forgot we even owned. Some got put into the Goodwill pile, some got moved to another cabinet so we remember they exist and use them, some got put back because above the fridge is where they belong. But! This cleared out enough space to remove some other rarely used things from other, easily-accessible cabinets. This was the first domino that allowed other things to be sorted out and I should’ve done that cabinet first.

I also talked Mr. Meer into letting me get rid of three water bottles, then took it out of the house almost right away since I was going grocery shopping and there’s a drop off spot near the grocery store. Score!

9 Likes

One box of kids books that I posted free on the neighbourhood FB page just got picked up for a little library in the neighbourhood.

Three more boxes of stuff for pick up tomorrow

7 Likes

I’m intrigued by like half of your outgoing clothes.

This is why I suck at decluttering.

4 Likes

I really like everything I’m getting rid of for fit reasons – I used to wear them all the time, but my body is the size it is now, and it’s at a good stasis point. I’ve already held them on for several years and so it’s time to release them into the world to be happy fits for someone else’s body.

Also I’m happy to send you the size info/some photos if you’re interested. I’d happily ship them to you.

10 Likes

I was looking at the fridge and noticed that two of our shelves have cracks. And I remembered that the fridge manufacturer many years ago sent us replacement shelves, because their shelves get cracks.

The shadowy one brought the shelves up from the basement, and we took out the old shelves and washed the new shelves and figured out how to get the old shelves off the metal runners and went to put the new shelves onto the metal runners.

And discovered the shelves they sent are for a wider fridge and they are too big for the runners. So we threw away the three shelves we’ve been storing for years and years and years, and cleaned the old shelves and put them back on. I suppose we could reach out to the manufacturer and ask them to send the actually correct shelves, but since we took so long to discover their mistake, I think they’re unlikely to agree. (I guess I could go back into the garbage and get one out and take a photo of it with the fridge to demonstrate the point, but we’re probably getting a new fridge anyway in the not too distant future to go with new cabinets and all.)

11 Likes

For Buy Nothing: Two lotion samples, a bakuchiol oil I tried that did not work for my skin, and a blush.

5 Likes

I didn’t take a before pic but please marvel that these shelves now have a blank space!

13 Likes

ayep :joy:

3 Likes

I need to get rid of my old dish towels. My MIL gifts me 1-2 dish towels every Christmas and I also like to buy cute ones once or twice a year, but I NEVER THROW THE OLD ONES OUT. I use them for the “gross” things, like wiping counters down or scrubbing things off the floor, but I don’t have a rag bin to keep them in, so they all live in the drawer with the good towels.

I can’t even close the drawer anymore. I feel bad getting rid of “perfectly good” towels (spoiler, they’re not “perfectly good”. They’re dingy and patternless and getting holes, but they’re still perfectly usable).

I’m making my husband help me, he’s better at this, haha. And I’m doing it in the morning, when my ADHD medication is still in my system, because apparently I’m much better at making rational decisions about emotion based things like this then. Who could have guessed?

12 Likes

Hey, this is huge! You’re figuring out what supports/resources to call on to make it happen!!!

6 Likes