Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

If they didn’t fit, he already didn’t have any. Now you know, which is better than not knowing.

5 Likes

True! Much better than finding out now than when he’s getting dressed for something fancy.

2 Likes

Exactly! We’re facing this with my husband right now. Went through his dresser- sooo much was worn out and not getting used. So he actually has way less than I even realized. We’ve been replacing much needed items. I’m trying to remind myself that he was already running out of clothes, that’s WHY we went through the dresser, it wasn’t the dresser clean out that caused it! It’s just allowing us to deal with it.

3 Likes

Well it took me longer than expected due to illness, but I finally gave away both the bookshelf and portacot, and both people came to pick them up on time :grin:

Looking around the house, it has gotten so far out of control with volume of Stuff and how messy / disorganised the Stuff is… We need to do better. I KNOW I can do better with decluttering if I put more effort in.

6 Likes

I’m feeling very much the same way lately. We’ve been working on organizing the mess over here, but it’s still weighing on me.

1 Like

Today I FINALLY took pictures of all the clothes and shoes I plan on selling. It was unpleasant. I also decided to no longer hold onto my office wardrobe. I didn’t post that stuff for sale and maybe will just take it to a consignment store. It’ll be nice to not have that stuff weighing on me and I’ll likely not need such attire for several years. Who knows what’ll even fit my shape/style by then.

How long should I hold onto the clothes waiting for them to sell? I’m trying to post them for very cheap for quick sales. Better to have some money than no money from trying to get the value back.

2 Likes

I realised that the hundreds of reusable shopping bags in our stash are more of a nuisance than helpful. Hmm.

5 Likes

Frustrating. Stood up for a FB sale today. Oh well. Had a nice lady on standby, she’s coming tomorrow. I sweetened the pot with some free baby clothes I was going to donate anyway, so hoping this’ll make her show :crossed_fingers: that’s fine anyway. Lady today was going to give me $10 for the changing table (I just wanted it gone), but lady tomorrow is going to pay the $20 I have it listed at.

Still, sucks to waste 30 min on a Saturday night sitting in your building lobby with a changing table :confused:

5 Likes

Tidied up a heap, shifted furniture, and realised there was another thing I could easily post on Buy Nothing (big box of bubble wrap pieces). Hoping someone wants it :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

OK, down to 10 magazines to go through. There were more than I thought in the original pile, maybe 30+.

Stereo can be removed outside to await rubbish collection. I would like a thing to play our CDs and this is the only one we’ve got but I’m pretty sure it’s breaking the CDs a little at this point.

5 Likes

And the big box of bubble wrap is GONE! Woo!

4 Likes

Sold a changing table yesterday! $20 in my pocket, and space made. I also threw in some baby clothes I was going to donate or rehome, and she was really excited. (Added benefit, she seemed delightful, works in a similar field as me, is my age, and 4 weeks behind me in pregnancy. I’m thinking I’ll do a “naked baby” clothes swap here in a couple months since I have many friends who recently gave birth and then a couple friends due the same time as me. Post showers etc would be a fine time to redistribute gear. And I’m thinking I’ll reach out to her for that and see if she’s interested! You can never have too many friends, right?)

My bins purchase has allowed me to launder and sort all existing and incoming baby clothes. I’ve been decluttering as I go with those. It also allowed me to have open space ready when our first wet wipes came in- had got the case for $3 on prime day by stacking deals. It’s so nice to be able to immediately put something away!

3 Likes

Finally got rid of our extra bed (we needed it when my brother lived with us, but it was old and incredibly uncomfortable), which frees up a lot of space to put boxes while we are packing. More decluttering plans today but I won’t post them until I actually do them!

4 Likes

Clothing swap confirmed for this week! It’s the first one where I’m more excited to get rid of clothing than get clothing.

Gave away bathroom supplies to school kids in need. I got it all from buy nothing anyway, so it’s free charity.

3 Likes

We had bought some more drawers from Ikea to better organize the closet and now it’s finally where I want it to be! It makes so so happy because it was a huge mess for the longest time.

I also decided to get rid of a few more clothes, so need to take pictures and try selling those.

A new thing I’m trying is storing all the blankets and sheets in the bedroom they go to instead of the linen closet. We don’t have enough storage in our house, so figured this would be a great idea to get more space! I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner. One of the new drawers we got from Ikea is now dedicated to the sheets, blankets, and towels.

6 Likes

Got rid of a few things on BN last week but the big win was rearranging the kitchen by bringing a shelving unit from our Harry Potter cupboard under the stairs into the kitchen so we’ve got a bit of open storage going. It’s so much easier to get to my dry goods in jars plus the food processor can now be accessed without stumbling around in the cupboard trying to move stuff to get to it. We have very little built in storage in our kitchen (or house in general) so I’m pleased with how this makes the kitchen work better. Now I just need to clear a few more things out of the harry potter cupboard but it’s already so much easier to access stuff in there!

6 Likes

Box of books off to the library donation bin. \o/

2 Likes

Hahahaha. HAHAHA. I officially recuse myself from this thread.

Outcome of the clothing swap:

I came home with 8 pairs of shorts. Eight pairs! I owned one pair before this. I did need a couple more pairs, but did I need 8? No I did not.

5 Likes

Ummm. If I go on wayfair and buy a corner desk with a cute little drawer to streamline my living space, is that decluttering? My space will look less cluttered.

right now the desk is right across from the sofa and I don’t like it

7 Likes

Yes because it’s visual clutter.

4 Likes