Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Oh good distinction, now that you mention it it’s all varnished or painted.

2 Likes

Tonight I dropped off a couch to my cousin. I think that that is now all the ‘extra furniture’ out.

I also sold a pair of ice skates for $15. Listed a pair of size one (kids) on Marketplace for $15. Person messaged and asked if it would be ok to try them on. I wrote back and said yes, they are on the Porch, and I’d put a second pair out that was a similar size they could try them both and buy whichever fit best, $15 for either and just let me know if neither fits. They ended up taking the second pair that I hadn’t even got around to listing for sale yet.

7 Likes

It is not - I forgot about the plethora of stoves in the house. One needs to be sold, and two need to move the the ‘appliance graveyard’ ie where we store extra appliances in case one of the rentals needs a replacement.

Currently one stove sitting on the Porch (we classy) and two in the basement.

7 Likes

@smacky you are doing rental appliances wrong

5 Likes

It only works because one rental has a detached garage that isn’t included in the rental, so we have a space to store extra equipment.

6 Likes

I threw out books that have been sitting next to my front door for years to be passed along. Nobody wants them so I finally ditched them. I am trying really hard to clear out things that have been waiting on decisions like that for a really long time.

16 Likes

Slowing down a bit, but still finding some things to give away.

1. Coasters
  2. The afforementioned dye.
  3. A microfiber duster that I had no room for.
  4. An “I Spy” quilt top that I started for my first baby and never made… We played I spy on it before I gave it away, but I missed the window…
10 Likes

I love that the wall mounted spice rack I just posted in BN was claimed in quite literally one single second. I’m re-organizing a lot of my stuff. In my 250 sq ft studio, I’m learning that I actually hate having stuff mounted on the wall. I still have quite a few shelves but I find the visual clutter of wall mounted storage infuriating. I transitioned a lot of stuff in my kitchen onto rolling cart storage on the ground and now I’m getting quite carried away trying to get stuff off my walls. Honestly, I’m loving Amazon for searching and finding highly specific dimension storage and furniture, most of the good stuff I’m finding is internationally sold made in China stuff.
US retailers don’t really sell stuff for people who live in small spaces. Even the “dorm room” Room Essentials brand at Target doesn’t always work in my small space, and I’ve decluttered plenty of Ikea furniture and storage that doesn’t even work for me anymore.
Today, my new kitchen trash can was delivered and the dopamine hit I’m getting from how absolutely perfect it is… oh my lord:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKFYFTZ5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
The legs are just chef’s kiss. And it has a lid. No more smelly trash!
Even the smallest small Sterilite trash can was awkward in my kitchen (I was using a free sidewalk find trashcan for the past 2.5 years I’ve lived here).

19 Likes

This is honestly so overpriced for the quality at $42 but the dimensions are rare enough I guess they’re allowed.

I’m not even mad, because anything cheaper would be too big. I ordered a second one, I can fit one on either side of my fridge.

10 Likes

Yep. At various times when I was trying to get stuff for a small space everything seemed to assume I had loads of wall space I wasn’t using. The problem was either I couldn’t use the wall space - I didn’t want to drill holes into the walls of my rental for some shelves - or there was no wall space to be had.

7 Likes

Wall mounted storage is a great idea in certain contexts, but at a certain room dimensions, I was finding myself walking around and literally just always bumping my arms on shelves, it was so infuriating. I don’t have the extra 2" of clearance to have anything sticking out of the walls, especially in my QUITE LITERALLY closet-sized bathroom and kitchen. I do have a studio, but the kitchen has this weird half wall thing that’s more trouble than it’s worth and very claustrophobic.

7 Likes

Things I’ve gotten rid of or listed waiting takers on buy nothing:

Plus four mugs/water bottles we don’t use.

Into goodwill bin went like 10 books (including an entire category I realize is outdated enough now that I won’t reach for those books anymore), and some clothes from my closet- a couple dresses, a couple shirts that fit weird, a couple jackets I don’t wear anymore.

10 Likes

I asked my kid if we should give away his baby stuff to another baby and he agreed. I don’t know how seriously to take his agreement but it’s something :joy:

14 Likes

We have some of Kiddo’s stuff to a neighbor kid, he “helped” me carry a bag over so he actually got to meet the neighbor kid. It was mostly clothes so he wasn’t losing any toys he suddenly remembered he desperately loved. Since then he definitely knows that things he outgrows go to younger kids.

8 Likes

One bag of family books, one bag of clothes (including some of my Mother’s), and a bag of pink/cream lampshades has gone to the Charity Shop. This is the first small load of things which are really tough for me to get rid of, so am proud of myself. Still going through the inherited books. Some I might sell, some keep, but a lot I can give away, especially the fiction. Taking pictures of them first helps me to let them go.

On Tuesday, a couple of sets of bookshelves are arriving from Ebay, which will make the job easier. Now the empty cardboard boxes are gone, I’m concentrating on the full clear plastic and cardboard boxes. Slow progress, but progress none-the-less. Hoping to have the living room back to being more of a living room than a storage-space by month’s end :crossed_fingers:

10 Likes

Last night I tackled the spice cabinet. I’m passing on a ton of random old spices that weren’t getting used- mostly it was blends that came in Penzey’s boxes I never remembered/used. I love Buy Nothing.

Yesterday I also took another pass at my linen cupboard. Why do I have so many pillow cases. I even got rid of 3/4 of them last year but still had like 4 extra sets. Insanity. Why :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Any suggestions for what to do with old magazines? I’ve got a bunch of National Geographic and Smithsonian from 10-15 years ago, and I feel bad just dumping them in the recycling bin, but I don’t have a clue if anyone might actually want them.

3 Likes

Your local Friends of the Library group might want them. My group sells them at their book sales. Place that have after school programs like Boys and Girls Clubs might want them to cut up for art projects. Or if you have a local creative reuse center or art supply recycling group.

5 Likes

Are you on Buy Nothing? This is a great time to be giving away magazines while people do beginning of the year vision boards. I gave away a big stack about a week ago.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check the Boys and Girls club and Buy Nothing (the library/Friends of the Library are definitely no-goes around here) and hopefully will have a taker.

3 Likes