Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Today I am sorting out the toys to give back to my mum that Duckling has borrowed, the baby toys for future child, and the stuff that can go up on BNP or in the bin. Duckling started playing with the sorted out toys immediately :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I listened to the OMD podcast about perfectionism and procrastination and then tidied the shit out of our house. IDK if I was procrastinating the cleaning or did a procrastination clean, either way our house has never looked better :ok_hand:

Yes this happens every time to us too and we think ā€œoh look how delighted she is by these thingsā€ and one by one they sneak back into the other pile.

4 Likes

I have this problem with cardboard boxes. But thereā€™s always going to be new cardboard boxes for him to play with, so I should just put them in the recycling at the end of the fortnight :flushed:

2 Likes

OK, I did the thing. Two shape sorting toys put in a box for Future Baby, 3 toys from Grannyā€™s put in the car, one weird promotional toy from Grandpa in the bin, one set of teethers moved from ā€œloungeroom toysā€ to ā€œbathtime toysā€. Itā€™s not made a clear dent but I bet I actually have a place for all of the toys now (except stuffed animals).

4 Likes

Just cleaned up our carport and ditched 5+ large cardboard boxes and disposed of all the accumulated leaf litter in our compost bin. The space is a functional drying area for our laundry now, I wasnā€™t sure it would ever get that tidy!

5 Likes

I put a bunch of stuff on eBay! Hopefully I can tackle the big one one of these daysā€¦my drum kit.

4 Likes

As a former bra fitter and peddler I would like to say: your back and shoulders thank you for no longer wearing and keeping bras that donā€™t fit.

1 Like

Pup is in getting surgery today. Used the opportunity to go through her stuff. Had a paper grocery sack worth to pass on through Buy Nothing and its already gone. :+1:

Also, husband got a new printer through work. Theyā€™ll pay for his ink, so bye bye old printer! Iā€™ve got it up on BN and it already has 3 asks. Iā€™m letting it simmer, but itā€™ll be gone soon too.

Now to get enough proper storage to deal with the influx of baby things :grimacing:

3 Likes

I have 3 boxes to donate and had 2 last week! Some if baby clothes I learned we didnā€™t want, but not all. I donā€™t know how stuff creeps in when Iā€™m not lookingā€¦

I also have a big pile in my closet of things that I want to sell. I have only posted 2 things. It really annoying me everytime I see it.

Related note: if youā€™ve sold on eBay before, how easy is it to do? Iā€™ve sold a few things on poshmark which is super easy, but they take a big percentage.

3 Likes

My eBay experience isā€¦ more than ten years ago now?? Jeez. But it was fairly easy at the time, and I assume has become easier since. I believe scams (e.g. pretending an item was never received) are more common with eBay than other platforms BUT also more likely with electronics etc so depends on what youā€™re selling.

1 Like

My friend is having a group yard sale in a few weeks. I filled an entire suitcase with crap to try and sell at it today! (I donā€™t have a car, so, what I can fit in 2 rolly suitcases and a couple of totes is going to be it, because that is what Boyfriend and I are able to carry onto the bus). Mostly clothes, some knickknacks. Some Halloween costumes. Hopefully some of it goes.

Iā€™ve been the clearing house for other peopleā€™s decluttering. I gotta list more stuff.

Iā€™ve also started listing my things. I didnā€™t come here with much, so I figured Iā€™d probably keep it all. But now Iā€™ve got that sidewalk backpack, so I can get rid of another bag.

1 Like

Same here. And while I love receiving loads of free stuff for my kidā€¦ my house only has so much room.

2 Likes

I sold 4 things on eBay! 6 had to be relisted though but I guess I can just let them tick over until someone buys them or I decide itā€™s not worth it. eBay is really stacked against sellers so I would not sell anything you canā€™t afford to take the hit on.

2 Likes

Just threw my box of 200 (out of 250) of business cards from corporate job into the recycling bin.

6 Likes

Oh thatā€™s a good reminder! Husband has a huge box from Old Job. I need to track those down and recycle them!

2 Likes

Sigh, I remember when it was SO easy to make money on ebay! I used to get free or very cheap new-release books at a past job and Iā€™d flip those for cash so fast.

My favorite story is when I listed some ugly brass candlesticks that my ex and I received as a wedding gift. Logged on to see how my listings were doing and someone had bid those suckers up to $125. I about shit myself and made my then-husband come over and read my listing closely to tell me what I misrepresented, to make someone think they were worth that much. (They were from Pier 1, couldnā€™t have cost more than $25). The buyer was totally pleased and happy to pay that, and left great feedback, so, ???

Sigh. Those were the days. I find it impossible to unload anything on there now and buyers are all huge high-maintenance pains in the ass.

3 Likes

Spent five whole minutes on decluttering yesterday: dug old bottles of wine out of the pantry and gave them away to my neighbours via our streetā€™s FB group. Success!

1 Like

Sold the oversized rocking chair! Iā€™m enjoying my empty space in the living room.

6 Likes

We filled our landfill bin with junk :frowning:. Also a big tub to donate, and a box to take to an old tech recycling centre.

I have major guilt about the stuff going into the ground, but realistically it is trash that charities wonā€™t be able to repurpose or sell. Itā€™s things we have collected in the 10 years Mr Pancakes and I have been renting together and from our lives before that. This is the 6th place weā€™ve lived in together. I guess we both have hoarding tendencies because wow there was some ooooollld and completely useless things.

I am telling myself that it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s landfill now or landfill in 15 years, itā€™s still landfill. What really matters is we make better choices acquiring things from this point.

We got rid of a heap but still there are things Iā€™ve put to one side.

I have kept every letter my friends and I passed between us at high school. Some of them are 20 years old. I should toss them. I donā€™t even want to read them but I canā€™t seem to do it :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes