December Challenge: Get it done GYSTember

Month-end update:

:white_check_mark: 1. Log/File one year’s worth of financial papers (I usually do this in January, but it seemed appropriate for this month’s challenge) - Splitting hairs here - I’ve filed all the financial papers, but still have to do school and medical and miscellaneous. But I achieved the stated goal, so yay!
:white_check_mark: 2. Get that $*&% IRA rollover done! - look at me, being all adult and stuff. Did my part in week 2, week 3 looked like I was too late and it wouldn’t be completed this year, but the transaction happened at the end of week 4. My first rollover is done!
:white_check_mark: 3. Minimum spend ($2500) on new CC, to include 2019 charitable giving. Done despite losing the card for 10 days when I was doing a lot of holiday prep spending.
:white_check_mark: 4. Spend on cc with an extra bonus this month ($1200). Done!
:white_check_mark: a. Figure out how much capital gains harvesting I can do this year
:white_check_mark: b. and actually do it. Done! I didn’t go right up to the limit - left some wiggle room, but I am happy with that.
:heavy_multiplication_x: 6. Cancel cable, which was a condition of me signing up for Hulu during the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday special. Didn’t get the phone call made today. It’s ok, because I’m thrilled with everything else I got done.
:white_check_mark: 7. Continue to track spending on holiday meal food and groceries for houseguests. Spent $217 on groceries/pizza for family events and holiday parties, $12 on special foods for my houseguests, and $65 on gifts.

6/7 ain’t bad. I’m calling it a win. My day with Comcast will come in 2020.

6 Likes

Have decided it would be rude to send an email asking for money during twixmas, but I am in good shape to do on the 6th.

If I am feeling better tomorrow, I will deal with the bubble wrap painting. Otherwise will need to be this weekend.

1 Like

And the last item done, although I’m a little annoyed about how I had to do it since the new card I was planning to use for it didn’t make it in time. But so it goes.

• Call about car insurance (and pay car insurance)

And apparently I should be in for Snacktuary since per one of my earlier items involving food inventory I have like 8 cans of garbanzo beans and some random frozen milk to use up among other items in my freezer and can pantry. I guess I do have ‘find new recipes’ on my 202 bingo card that I might as well get started on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

CONGRATS ON GETTING IT DONE FRIENDS!

If you’re interested in getting your victory cat sticker mailed to you please fill in this form. It will be available through January 10th, when I will mail out stickers!

Here is the sticker:

11 Likes

Check in: well, halfway success with all of these: computer room is trashed with SO sim racing stuff and I can’t see the floor, guest room half done. Office space - cleaned up; gift cards - used a few as well as using Aeroplan points for more gift cards, free movie points before expiring - so it’s a start.

This exercise kept it very top of mind for when I was busy to at least attempt to do it a bit.

1 Like

Final Check-In

I got a lot done and saved/found a bunch of money from this thread. Victory!

Open (will rollover to January)

1. Set up zelle on Ally Bank :new: :arrow_forward:
  2. OH SHIT contribute to an IRA!!! I forgot I haven’t done that yet. 4,825 done, final on hold :arrow_forward:
  3. Ugh transfer HSA again :new: @diapasoun
  4. Claim lost money (update: need to mail claim docs for 1, deposit 2 done)
  5. Buy B12 supplement

On Hold

1. Research and buy fancy electric toothbrush :new:
  2. Uhhh finish 2018 state taxes
  3. Make decision on old pension (need to understand tax/MCD elig hit)
  4. Sign up for TD card bonus - website doesn’t work
  5. set up autopay on REI on next manual payment - need to wait until Jan
  6. Call BoA to confirm sign up bonus for Amtrak card
  7. Planet Granite: Free week trial - not a priority, may not have time in Dec
  8. 24 Hr Fitness: Free 3 day trial - not a priority, may not have time in Dec
  9. Pay rent with Plastiq for Amtrak bonus (donations handled it)
  10. Make cheat sheet for Beyond Beautiful
  11. Change Sprint autopay to REI card ?? need to research phone protection plans
  12. Email contact from old job
  13. Update address w/ Amex - first find blue cash card?
  14. Create Jan 26 meetup event :new:
  15. send in rebate for waterpik
  16. Call OHP one more time to confirm eligibility question

Completed

1. Call Kaiser about blood test follow up, schedule appointments
  2. Find out about family medical history, p1
  3. Change to $2/mo Hulu plan/pause existing
  4. Make texts make noises
  5. Call HSA provider about login. AHHH I’ve been getting monthly fees since leaving my old job! I need to roll this over to an individual HSA provider that doesn’t charge fees… Does that exist? (Update: opened new account AND submitted transfer request paperwork)
  6. Submit Equifax claim
  7. Set up autopay for Amtrak cc
  8. Pay 1st Amtrak bill manually
  9. Make g voice emails auto archive again - filter stopped working (update: turned off “override filter” setting)
  10. Check REI autopay (checked, called, got fee waived)
  11. Figure out old pension details (will be getting benefits package in the mail)
  12. Sign up for 2020 health plan - after 2 hours on the phone, finally confirmed I don’t need to do anything…
  13. Order stuff . Waterpik, phone case, reusable pads
  14. Update Google search settings
  15. Buy return ticket from Seattle (bonus points won’t hit in time)
  16. Pass on clothes through BN/swap
  17. Get Blues volunteer position (saw guy in person)
  18. Email VG and donate remics
  19. Change dividend reinvestments for ETF’s :new:
  20. Renew/check out library books before trip :new:
  21. Pay rent before going to Canada :new:
  22. Sweep new dividends to checking acct :new:
  23. Buy camp mustache tickets :new:
  24. Figure out the best way to liquidate $6,000 for a Roth contribution… :new:
  25. Set up Ally savings acct once in USA :new:
  26. Figure out NYE in Seattle plans :new:
6 Likes

I am absolutely THRILLED this sticker includes a train!!!

2 Likes

OH GODDAMMIT My first January item is to fix the $4,000 that went into my 2020 Roth IRA, not 2019. On hold with Vanguard now.

Is there going to be a similar official thread for January? I can start an unofficial one if not.

5 Likes

I think you should start it! We have a january food budget challenge instead of getting things done!

4 Likes

Final Update!

• Purchase car Proud new owner of a 2010 Toyota Prius!
  • Set budget sinking fund goal and list for maintenance for said car $300 in fund so far, will likely purchase tires in a couple of weeks.
  • Establish tangible and productive goals in therapy sessions in case I can’t continue in January Goals established, also set up weekly appointments in January, cost be damned.
  • Attend sterilization consultation appointment and obtain referral for procedure I’m having the procedure done in April 2020!
  • Negotiate lower vehicle insurance rate Got better auto insurance rates for myself and MWP (partner) as well as renter’s insurance for self.
5 Likes

I feel targeted by this challenge name.

2 Likes

According to the spreadsheet you checked in four times this month, which is how you do these things. YOU WIN!!

4 Likes

OK, this challenge is now closed. Badges will be awarded as I feel like it. All of you are wonderful and I love you all.

12 Likes

My December just ended (yes I posted that in my first post :smile:) so I’m posting my final status for the month:

• Publish a video every week of December
    • :white_check_mark: Dec 3
    • :white_check_mark: Dec 10
    • :white_check_mark: Dec 17
    • :white_check_mark: Dec 24
    • :white_check_mark: Dec 31
  • :white_check_mark: Launch new community events website
  • :white_check_mark: Clean my desk and organize office
  • :black_square_button: Catch up on business accounting for 3 Quickbooks files since August (ugh) - Did not even start this a little bit
  • :black_square_button: Finish filing all work expense reports (also behind since August) I did file August and September’s reports, but nothing beyond that.
  • :black_square_button: Updates to client website (that I have owed him since August, noticing a theme here?) Made a little progress but not enough to share with the client
  • :white_check_mark: Garage remodel (thread) - We made a ton of progress, and I’m happy with how much we did even if it’s not totally done!

So overall I give myself a C minus. C because it’s a passing grade and I feel pretty okay about how much I got done, but minus because I didn’t actually finish as much as I had hoped.

I am pretty happy I stuck to my video schedule, and my channel stats reflect that too! I hit 1000 subscribers on the 28th, up from about 250 at the beginning of the month!

I think what actually happened was I made an ambitious list before I even decided to start the garage project, and then that ended up taking up many full days that I wasn’t able to spend on the other projects.

6 Likes