Covid-19 discussion

That’s an interesting explanation on air circulation at indoor arenas.

I always presumed hockey was superspreading because of how on top of everyone and germ sharing the lockerroom, bench and culture is (you got a hat trick! let me lick your face!).

Every league at every level has dealt with MRSA infections, and I remember when the NHL had a mumps outbreak a few years ago.

Now I know the entire ice set-up is there to facilitate infection.

9 Likes

Me too.

just slowly backs away from her previous claims that figure skating was one of the safest indoor sports one can do given the distance from other participants…

15 Likes

Y’ALL. My conservative jackass BIL got the vaccine. He didn’t want to but he’s a first responder and interacts with the public constantly so he realized that with his job he kinda had to. I’ll take it!

32 Likes

Guys my aunt who lives with us just went to get her nails done even knowing the more contagious variant is out there. And my cousin just visited us after going to a restaurant a couple of nights ago.

What the actual :duck:

12 Likes

Trump is lifting the travel restrictions on non citizens entering the US from Europe, the UK, Ireland and Brazil, effective January 26th.

As much as I would LOVE to see some of my family again, this seems like a terrible, terrible idea.

13 Likes

It does require a recent negative covid test, but given all we now know about the incidence of false negatives and the severity of the strains going around the UK and Brazil right now.

Is this just meant to make things as bad as possible for when the new administration takes over?

8 Likes

Trump doesn’t get a say on what the travel restrictions may be on Jan. 26th.

11 Likes

Biden can easily reevaluate this, if there is reason for it

2 Likes

I know, I just think it instantly makes Biden out to be the bad guy.

2 Likes

Oh for sure.

I also think much of Trump’s vaccine decisions were made to be able to place as much blame on Biden as possible.

2 Likes

The news already reports that Biden will immediately throw it out.

1 Like

Guys I’m freaking out about the fact that I’m probably gonna get this virus because everyone around me is either acting like an ostrich or accidentally getting exposed to covid.

I just needed to say that

Also to scream in the void but I save that for my pillow

10 Likes

We have an actual “scream into the void” thread. One moment…

ETA: HERE.

6 Likes

Oh God I might abuse this thank you so much

10 Likes

So, I’m trying to understand the science rather than jumping to “now panic and freak out”:
When they say that the Denmark strain may be vaccine resistant, does that mean the vaccine will not work at all?
Or not work as well?
Would everyone now have to get 2 different vaccines, the one that’s out now and then a new one developed to combat this strain?

3 Likes

I can’t answer the first part… but likely they would need 2 different vaccines, if the current one does not work.

That does not necessarily mean 2 different shots- people who haven’t received the first one could, possibly, get a combination vaccine. Like how MMR has the antibodies for 3 things, or the flu, which covers several strains. They just put all the ingredients into one serum.

5 Likes

So, as I understand it:

Chicago has launched some sort of “surge staffing plan.”
This means that there is more bed and ICU capacity. (Beds were never the issue here; staffing was the issue. The article I saw did not say where they are finding this additional staff)

Reopening decisions are made based in part on metrics re bed and ICU capacity.
Therefore, now that there is more capacity, stuff’s going to start to reopen. No indoor dining or bars yet though.

I mean… I don’t think any reopening decision should be based on “if you get horribly ill you can be put in a bed and receive some care and not just left to die in a hallway.” That does not seem like a reasonable metric to me. But, what do I know, apparently I am more paranoid than, like, everyone.

9 Likes

Both of my parents got their first vaccines today.

27 Likes

I just found out my mom will be getting hers soon. People, my mom has always been a bit of a vaccine skeptic. Not an anti-vaxxer per se, but definitely a questioner and a bit on the fringe. My stepbrother is an EMT and is apparently able to sign his immediate family up and she is going to do it. I am so happy.

30 Likes