Covid-19 discussion

I had 2 hours of bike commuting when I was in college. I would’ve gone mad if someone had told me not to do that. But I lived off campus, so, they couldn’t have ever made me do something :joy:

2 Likes

I still don’t agree with this. If I could go back and tell my younger 18 year old self what to do she would never be allowed to go on campus for college in the middle of a pandemic, especially if the college were to come up with solutions like this. But, unfortunately if I took that 18 year old and transported her to 2020/1 she would’ve nonsensically agreed to try to push through it as normal. Basically no one bothered to tell me that I was neurodivergent when I was that age. It’s not “immature” to have trouble with something like “you can’t exercise outside”. There’s hundreds of good reasons this couldn’t work for everyone that are more complex than failure to adapt. And when in a young mind your choices are “go to college like normal, push yourself” or “stay home from college and be a failure” … God bless that kid but he has way too much confidence. I really wish I would’ve been able to enjoy the laser like intensity of that age. College was really little “t” traumatic for me doing “normal college” I can’t imagine having to pay so much money for virtual classes or tyrannically smug senior student RAs in dorms telling me I can’t walk around outside for a few hours. I did go to college somewhere very cold but not in the negative fahrenheits. I hope this doesn’t sound mean or attacking but like gosh this is making me tear up. It’s just a really messed up situation. Glad some colleges are trying but is this really the best way to handle anything. Higher ed is such a “scam” as it it. I really hope these students are alright.

3 Likes

I don’t think you sound attacking at all! I don’t agree with everything my neighbor’s nephew said (he hasn’t had much experience yet with the world at large or things different from the town where he grew up) but thought I’d share the perspective because my neighbors and I thought it was interesting that his friend group doesn’t seem as bothered by restrictions as we expected.

I absolutely 100% don’t think this works for everyone, even if students knew it was going to happen. Just like working from home isn’t working for everyone.

3 Likes

The FAQ said they cannot leave their dorm rooms. The university is doing virtual programming from the rec center for exercise classes.

So, there are indoor options, but it’s not like “go run on a socially distanced treadmill”.

The FAQ does say they can take dogs for short walks. Do they allow dogs on campus? I suspect a lot of people are about to get dogs.

3 Likes

I can imagine based on my campus that of you were leaving rooms there would be horrific congestion going in and outside. I know uk universities had some horrific lockdowns too. I think students are in a hard place no matter what this year

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: Higher Ed Costs/Experience in US

I want to continue the discussion we’re having but realized it’s off topic now, so I split it into a different thread

2 Likes

Thanks Lily \o/

In COVID-y news, a family friend who was part of one of the vaccine trials has gotten her second dose of the actual shot (as opposed to placebo she got before). I’m so glad about this.

7 Likes

I"ve been wondering when they’d do that!

1 Like

Yeah! I can’t remember which one she was part of – maybe Moderna? – but she’s over 65 and in NY, so is eligible officially either way. I’m so glad she’s got a little bit more protection now.

3 Likes

In other pandemic news. My work has said the earliest we will return to offices is July.

So I’m never going to get to leave my house again. Not that I want to go back to an office in Iowa right now.

8 Likes

on Tuesday my office said the fall

I used to love WFH, but back then I could work from the library / coffee shop / friends house / etc. I am starting to have a lot more sympathy for folks who want to be back in the office. :pensive:

7 Likes

Yeahhh, I’m contemplating renting a studio space for 6 months just so I have somewhere to go sometimes!

3 Likes
2 Likes

my understanding is that the vaccine doesnt entirely protect against infection, just illness. so id expect some folks to get infected post-vaccine, but be mild or asymtomatic. do i have this right?

4 Likes

That is what it seems like, these are breakthrough illnesses they say? They’re doing full sequencing of the viruses to see if they are variant strains.

4 Likes

It IS expected, but also disappointing- there was some hope still that maybe asymptomatic transmission wouldn’t really bear out, but it appears it’s the case after all. But the vaccine is still valuable, still important. Just not 110% a fairy tale solution lol.

8 Likes

yes and seems like/hopefully it’s a fairly rare occurrence.

i’m not planning on changing my behavior that much once i’m vaccinated because there’s still the chance of passing it on, but i hope it will at least be enough to go back to the swimming pool, and maybe go to a timed outing at a museum with a friend or something (with a mask). just little stuff like that would make a huge difference in my mental health.

6 Likes

I’m fantasizing lustfully about things like going to Trader Joe’s (which is too far to walk to and does not deliver) and picking out my own groceries. I’d really like to go to the aquarium again, or the Art Institute.

All of that requires getting on public transport though, and I’m on the fence as to whether that is safe after I’m vaccinated… but, well, at least here it’s the other people who don’t wear masks on public transport, and I’d be in one, likely doubled. So, maybe?

(I was super disheartened to hear from a friend the other day that literally no one but her was wearing a mask on the el line nearest me that I used to take daily. I thought there was a mandate for that now, but nobody seems to care.)

I have a question… if you are vaccinated and still test positive for covid but don’t get sick, does the virus still do all the long term damage to your body? Heart problems and clots and such? There probably hasn’t been time to research that, right?

4 Likes