Covid-19 discussion

Biden can easily reevaluate this, if there is reason for it

2 Likes

I know, I just think it instantly makes Biden out to be the bad guy.

2 Likes

Oh for sure.

I also think much of Trump’s vaccine decisions were made to be able to place as much blame on Biden as possible.

2 Likes

The news already reports that Biden will immediately throw it out.

1 Like

Guys I’m freaking out about the fact that I’m probably gonna get this virus because everyone around me is either acting like an ostrich or accidentally getting exposed to covid.

I just needed to say that

Also to scream in the void but I save that for my pillow

10 Likes

We have an actual “scream into the void” thread. One moment…

ETA: HERE.

6 Likes

Oh God I might abuse this thank you so much

10 Likes

So, I’m trying to understand the science rather than jumping to “now panic and freak out”:
When they say that the Denmark strain may be vaccine resistant, does that mean the vaccine will not work at all?
Or not work as well?
Would everyone now have to get 2 different vaccines, the one that’s out now and then a new one developed to combat this strain?

3 Likes

I can’t answer the first part… but likely they would need 2 different vaccines, if the current one does not work.

That does not necessarily mean 2 different shots- people who haven’t received the first one could, possibly, get a combination vaccine. Like how MMR has the antibodies for 3 things, or the flu, which covers several strains. They just put all the ingredients into one serum.

5 Likes

So, as I understand it:

Chicago has launched some sort of “surge staffing plan.”
This means that there is more bed and ICU capacity. (Beds were never the issue here; staffing was the issue. The article I saw did not say where they are finding this additional staff)

Reopening decisions are made based in part on metrics re bed and ICU capacity.
Therefore, now that there is more capacity, stuff’s going to start to reopen. No indoor dining or bars yet though.

I mean… I don’t think any reopening decision should be based on “if you get horribly ill you can be put in a bed and receive some care and not just left to die in a hallway.” That does not seem like a reasonable metric to me. But, what do I know, apparently I am more paranoid than, like, everyone.

9 Likes

Both of my parents got their first vaccines today.

27 Likes

I just found out my mom will be getting hers soon. People, my mom has always been a bit of a vaccine skeptic. Not an anti-vaxxer per se, but definitely a questioner and a bit on the fringe. My stepbrother is an EMT and is apparently able to sign his immediate family up and she is going to do it. I am so happy.

30 Likes

Yay and @rocklobster yay!

2 Likes

Quote from the article:
"Region 11* has not technically met the state’s criteria for moving down to Tier 2, as it hasn’t met hospital capacity requirements.

But the Illinois Department of Public Health announced Monday it’ll allow the area and other regions to move to Tier 2 even if they haven’t met the hospital capacity goal because the state is bringing in more health care workers who can work at hospitals, effectively increasing the number of sick people they can handle."

*Region 11 is Chicago proper.

2 Likes

I mean, people should not be in charge of things, I think. Too dumb.

On the other hand, someone closed something there, so my region has no room to talk.

4 Likes

I received vouchers provided by the government and issued out by the health insurance company for 15 FFp2 masks.
Until than I didn’t new that my preconditions were on the list.
Therefore it also looks like that I am on the vaccine list for April/May.

Otherwise Germany is hit pretty hard now. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Interestingly, all the comments are filled with their (local) friends saying “HOW?” or saying they couldn’t find an appt, or “I’m trying to get my Mom one- how did you manage to find one?” (this is a 65+ year old trying to get one for their parent).

So my parents were apparently lucky, and their county’s vaccine distribution is a giant mess…

I still can’t believe Texas is already onto normal people. My parents are over 65, but under 70, and have no pre-existing conditions.

9 Likes

Here is some positive news. Though, like everyone else, I have no idea how everyone’s going to actually get appointments.

6 Likes

I am finding it very strange how much chaos there seems to be in some of the states on the vaccine rollout. We were phase 1a only until this week (frontline health care workers, nursing home residents and staff, medical first responders) and as of last week, all nursing home residents have received their first dose. Starting this week they have started phase 1b, and have opened up appointments to those 75 and over. 1b contains many more categories than this but they are being methodical as to how they are scheduling, as I think supply is the bottleneck right now. They just opened the largest drive through vaccination site in the state and hope to be vaccinating 10k people per week within a few weeks just at that site alone. Phase 1b also contains front line essential workers, people and staff in congregate settings, people over the age of 65, and anyone over the age of 16 with certain comorbidities. Front line essential workers is especially broad and includes grocery store, postal, agriculture, manufacturing, pharmacy, transit, education, waste management, front line social services, etc. It is estimated 30% of the population falls within this group, so it will take a while. We get a news conference once a week about the status and ehat is changing for the next week.

Everything seems to be going well and in an orderly fashion. Obviously phone lines are clogged and appointments fill up, but they anticipate increased supply soon and encourage people to keep trying, and especially use the internet or app to schedule if possible. They talk about it on the broadcast news every night to help (i assume) less tech savvy people (like, seniors) There have been very few cases of jumping the line, as far as have been reported, and when there are errors in communication it seems much is being done to rectify it. And it does not seem as though doses are being wasted.

I will say though that it does really bum me out that as a (somewhat) young person with no serious health issues (that I know of) I probably won’t be able to get vaccinated until like… summer, or fall. I understand of course, but it also feels really unfair, especially if people who don’t think it’s a very big deal get to go before me (like, people who have been going out and seeing friends and basically living normal lives). So I have to keep living like this while these people get to do whatever they want. Especially especially as plenty of seemingly healthy people have gotten sick and died as well. It feels like rewarding bad behavior.

7 Likes

There are a few reasons for the chaos but

1. We had a president who could not care less, so nothing was done to help distribute vaccines to the states and help states organize a plan.
  2. Because anything not covered explicitly in the constitution is a state right, a completely federal response would likely have caused uproar in the state. Which means every state is doing this their own way, so there are at least 50 different approaches to distribution. But then many states left it up to the counties, so there are at least a bajillion different approaches. So no one knows what the hell is going on. Without even tying in shortages and lack of distribution.

I’m baffled how Chicago can say they will have vaccines for everyone, when high risk populations throughout the country will still not even have been reached by that date.

4 Likes