Comfort media

What are the movies, books, music, and such you keep coming back to for reassurance? Not necessarily the happiest ones, but the ones you find sanity-enhancing and nostalgic.
For me lately it’s been the anime series Ping-Pong: The Animation. I haven’t read the manga and I don’t play ping pong, I cannot fathom why the soundtrack feels so relaxing, except that Smile reminds me of myself at his age :ping_pong:

5 Likes

Love this thread! Murder She Wrote and Bob’s Burgers are both staples for me. I can’t fall asleep at night without one of the two blaring.

6 Likes

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I am the reigning champion of this.
Futurama is my ride or die. I actually only watch it once a week now but for a solid 5 years I watched it at least every other day. I have seen it (mostly just listening to it) so many times I don’t even think I can distinguish individual episodes and plot points, but every pitch of the voice acting lives deep inside my subconscious.

8 Likes

Time team!
I’ve just started restoration house…it seems less perfect
Bones
Friends
Grey’s anatomy (select seasons)
Harry Potter movies
Nature documentaries
Cat YouTube with the squirrels
Campfire on a lake youtube
(My book list is long)

4 Likes

The West Wing. 2005 Pride and Prejudice. GBBO. Lord of the Rings (movies and book). Firefly. Wolf Hall (TV). Watership Down (book). The Princess Bride (movie). Planet Earth.

5 Likes

Mercedes Lackey books
Weirdly, the In Death series by JD Robb (/Nora Roberts) - trigger warning for violence, abuse, murder, and probably a bunch of other stuff. Also glorifies cops in a way I’m choosing not to think about in this one area of my life.
Probably others, but that’s what I’ve got right now.

5 Likes

Oh gosh how did I forget HP, both movies and books. (I guess I’ve been much less keen since JKR’s been so abominable… but still I love them!)

Also Good Omens, both book and show.

4 Likes

Books:
Harry Potter
Sabriel trilogy
Tamora Pierce’s tortall quartets
The Simple Living Guide
Crown Duel

Shows:
Parks and rec
Great British bake off
Escape to the country

Movies:
The first 2 die hard movies

YouTube:
Binging with Babish

5 Likes

Books:
Redwall
Tamora Pierce
Everworld

Shows:
murder she wrote
Star trek anything
Xena warrior princess
Pokemon
Sailor moon
Land before time

4 Likes

Gilmore Girls, especially certain episodes in the fall/back to school period of the year.

2 Likes

Yeah…but also I’m going to keep them because the anxiety relief is worth it. Like a drug company with shady practices. I’m much more hesitant and concerned about how to introduce those and other media to the little one.

5 Likes

And this isn’t media exactly…but I definitely hit/ currently in a phase where I’m much more likely to consume new age spiritual resources, go with a horoscope. Like I am also doing therapy and also working on complex family issues but probably let’s burn some dragon’s blood incense and work on the vibes of the space.

5 Likes

Also this was the first movie I ever watched and I watched it ALL THE FUCKING TIME:

It was and is incredible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel you on all of that. I love these books to pieces and will still reread them regularly but… I don’t know how I’d feel about recommending them to a kid right now.

2 Likes

The Catskills episodes of Mrs. Maisel (Season 2, eps 4-6): something about an adult summer camp is my happy pandemic place, plus that show makes me laugh out loud.

BBC historical dramas, particularly Austen productions

Podfics about my OTP in HP fandom

GBBO

My “Enya” channel on Pandora

West Wing and The Newsroom (when I need idealism restored)

3 Likes

building Spotify playlists
reading queer zines
watching

• utopia falls
  • killing Eve
  • owlhouse
  • She-Ra (netflix reboot)
  • clone wars
1 Like

I also want to add Card Captor Sakura to this list. In general, Magical Girls are gonna set you right.

2 Likes

I think I’m repeating here, but:
Tortall (Tamora Pierce)
Name of the Wind (Rothfuss)
previously HP
I’ve also reread the Earth’s Children series (Jean Auel) for similar vibes, but not lately (cw: sex and sexual assault)

Call the Midwife
Gilmore Girls
Grey’s (esp early Grey’s)
Mona Lisa Smile
Love Actually
Miyazaki movies

2 Likes

Movies:
Amelie
Muriel’s Wedding
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Big Fish

TV:
Call the Midwife
The new version of All Creatures Great and Small (I’ve only watched it once because it just came out, but I will definitely be going back to it. It is very soothing and beautiful and wholesome.)
Sex Education
Lovesick
Derry Girls

6 Likes

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about Derry Girls, I’ll have to check it out.

4 Likes