Collective Book Log

Have you read Elin Hilderbrand? I usually like her books.

ETA also Susan Wiggs and Dorothea Benton Frank. They’re never deep or anything, I usually read the fluffy romantic stuff, but generally decent reads.

ugh
Thanks for the warning!

No, I haven’t. Thanks for the recommendation.

I’ve started the Aubrey–Maturin series of historical nautical fiction by Patrick O’Brian again. I do loves me some of the ye olde time sailing ship cannon action.
The descriptions can be a bit heavy at times. Perfect for bedtime snoozy reading.

2 Likes

+1 for Elin Hilderbrand.

I can’t stand the shopoholic series, but I actually like Sophie Kinsella’s other standalones.

Jennifer Weiner is my favorite out of this genre.

2 Likes

I just finished Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce - I can’t remember who recommended her Song of the Lioness series or The Immortals series, but so far I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. I really wish they had been around when I was actually a young adult, ha.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure at least three people here are huuuge fans of Tamora Pierce.

I’m partial to Protector of the Small for some reason. I read it every few years; I read it at just the right time in my youth and it warms my little cold heart with nostalgia.

6 Likes

raises hand
Me me me me!

I went to a book signing in 2017 and it was such a great experience!

4 Likes

Last read from this library pickup was Gordion Protocol by David Weber and Jacob Holo, and eesh.

Spoilers (sort of)

Time travel premise that started interestingly with the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, got weirdly political (compared to Weber’s other works, not sure about Holo) in the next chapter in a way that didn’t even advance the plot, and then finally got to the part of the story that had the potential to be interesting again only to get a braindump of post-alternate-WWII timeline that had me checking actual WWII references to try to figure out what the hell they were talking about. A few glimpses into the alternate futures (futures this time meaning 2979) and some actual characterization again started to get interesting…and then got interrupted again. And they weren’t even consistent with time travel rules in the book in which they defined said time travel rules which was a little annoying.

Some of Weber’s older books are still among my favorites, but I think the last ‘new’ thing he did that I like is the Safehold series which is a little sad. Not sure if it’s that everything recent has been a collaboration (for some definition of collaboration) or if his writing has actually changed that much.

These are my most read books (all of her tortall series) overall, beating out even Harry Potter. I named one of my favorite hens Tamora lol. I love, love, love her. Wild Magic is my favorite overall, too. I’ve probably read that quartet of books minimum 50 times :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so jealous my head hurts a little :joy:

2 Likes

It wasn’t even my idea! My enby-sib-not-sib* really wanted to go, needed a ride and had bought an extra ticket. Her books were foundational for me as a kid! I agreed to drive, it was a lovely time (probably hours if waiting, and it was hours of driving!). Got a pic with the author, cutie at a coffee stand gave me eyes after, and I probably won’t do something like that again. But it is a cherished memory.

*Nonbinary very close friend who swears we were separated at my birth and I’m really their younger sibling

6 Likes

I liked the latest Bridgerton prequel, First Comes Scandal, if you haven’t read it yet!

1 Like

Rereading Lloyd Alexander’s Prydain series, and just finished book 3, Castle of Llyr, which I think is the weakest of the 5.

Looking at it now, I think that is partially because it is set up to be an Eilonwy book, and instead she is kidnapped in the first quarter of the book, our male protagonists stumble around (Alexander has a thing with people dropping into caverns), meet a very big cat, and then 20 pages before the end the guys discover where she has been taken, that she has been enchanted and lost her memory, and then she rescues herself by destroying a family heirloom and doesn’t remember any of it.

In books 1 & 2 Eilonwy is constantly explaining to Taran that he has poor assumptions about girls & women and she has agency. That is sadly missing in book 3. And since she is of the house of Llyr, that seems an unneeded bait & switch.

4 Likes

Read Seanan Mcguire’s That Ain’t Witchcraft and then reread Half-off Armageddon and Chaos Choreography (Midnight Blue-Light Special is apparently in hiding and needs to be dug out tomorrow)…I still like Verity’s and Alex’s storylines/voices over Annie’s. I am looking forward to Imaginary Numbers coming from the library next week, though.

2 Likes

I finished Untamed and now I’m disappointed, because nothing else I try to start hits right after that amazing book.

4 Likes

Read Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. This is worth all the prizes and accolades she has received and more.

I even don’t read that much fiction and especially fiction outside sci-fi/fantasy genre. But glad I did here!

Can’t wait until it turns into a movie (it’s already been optioned), so I can complain about how much better the book is than the movie.

5 Likes

Located Midnight Blue-Light Special. Good read, definitely glad to have found it again before Imaginary Numbers arrives.

1 Like

I just finished Will The Circle Be Unbroken, by Sean Dietrich. AKA: Sean of the South. I enjoyed it a lot.

2 Likes

Reread Spirits White as Lightning since I wasn’t getting into the first of my new library books. Will try again after some sleep, but this one is a nice fast read and one of my favorite of the Bardic Voices series.

2 Likes

I need to put this back on hold at the library. When I started it, most of the characters reminded me too much of clients I interact with at both my jobs, especially as it’s set in my city :sweat_smile: (though my interactions are hugely less fraught because I’m white).

2 Likes