Collective Book Log

I always enjoy Grace Burrowes

3 Likes

Isn’t she great? I’ve got The Truth About Dukes on hold and I can’t wait to see how she handles that storyline as its been hinted at in the previous books.

1 Like

Rereading David Weber’s Out of the Dark in preparation for Into the Light coming out in January. I enjoy most of what he writes (unless/until characters get written into corners), but this is the

Very Major Spoilers

WTF, was that a vampire? Two pages ago this was a military sci-fi/alien invasion book! (seriously, the first time I read it I thought I’d accidentally switched to the last chapter of some other ebook)

so it’ll be interesting to see where the second book takes things.

Lavinia was the November discussion for one of my book clubs and comparisons to Circe were made more than once. I really need to read that!

2 Likes

Finished Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking by T Kingfisher, a YA/MG fantasy about a 14 year old baker with magical powers whose life becomes much more complicated when she trips over a body early one morning.

Self published by Ursula Vernon (who has a wide number of pseudonyms depending on the target audience), this story had a weird dip 60% in, and I wonder if an editor might have helped. I was also expecting 2 additional reveals in the last third that never came. That being said, there were whole paragraphs where it reminded me of McKinley’s Sunshine, and that is pretty rare.

4 Likes

Robin Mckinley and Patricia Mckillip are two of my favourite fantasty writers of all time. I don’t often come across someone mentioning one of them.

2 Likes

These are some very important touchstone books for me, definitely comfort rereading.

Summary

eta: huh, I forgot I had two copies of Beauty

3 Likes

Yessssssss.

I have two copies of the little prince in French and one in English. Nobody knows why.

3 Likes

I think a friend in Berkeley got me the more modern copy, probably at Half Priced Books because she knew I was looking for it? But I don’t know if I was looking for a more sturdy version, if I had picked up the older edition in the meantime, or what. (I checked with the Shadowy One, and their memory is dimmer than mine on the topic.)

3 Likes

I just finished The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the prequel to the Hunger Games trilogy–it’s President Snow’s backstory. I found it somewhat unsatisfactory as an explanation for his character in the Hunger Games trilogy, but fairly satisfying as a character you love to hate.

3 Likes

Finished Eye Spy and Spy, Spy Again, the latest in the Family Spies series by Mercedes Lackey, in preparation for another library pickup. I like most of her books/series for quick reads, but I really wish she’d get a better editor for pesky things like book-to-book continuity and timelines. And please, please stop making the new kyree talk like Scooby Doo.

3 Likes

I just finished Notorious by Minerva Spencer, which I enjoyed. It’s the first in a new series. I think readers of Julia Quinn and the like would enjoy her. She has another series out, but I don’t believe I’ve read them, so I should look for them.

3 Likes

I read a few romance novels over the last few days. They were all meh. I love romance novels now (ever since @BiblioFeroz got me started on them with her mention of Tessa Dare and the Spindle Cove series.) I think I prefer that setting. Most modern ones don’t do it for me. Or maybe I just hit a bad batch?

I read Party of Two by Jasmine Guillory. I’ve liked other novels I’ve read by her. But this one didn’t do it for me. I also read Royal Holiday by her and I liked it more than Party of Two but it still didn’t do much for me. I read Intercepted by Alexa Martin and The Good Luck Charm by Helena Hunting. I’m definitely over romance novels with male love interests who are professional sports players. So boring, ugh. No to both of those. Intercepted seems to be the first of a whole series but I’m thinking nope to that. I didn’t really enjoy it at all, finished it out of spite. Bummer.

Oh, and I read Confessions of a Shopaholic and hated it. Finished that out of spite, too. I feel like all I’ve done lately is started books with hope and excitement (I finally have time to read fiction again!) and then end up finishing them just to make sure I really did hate them and there was no redemption. And there’s never any redemption to be found. Boo.

At least I have Bridgerton to watch.

3 Likes

I just finished All Systems Red, by Martha Wells. A sentient muderbot with a broken governor module fails to go on any murder sprees, preferring instead to watch media and avoid humans, who smell mostly of wet socks.

I really enjoyed it.

5 Likes

I haven’t liked anything by Sophie Kinsella. I think I just find the characters annoying and can’t get past that.

2 Likes

yay Murderbot!

2 Likes

I’ve read a lot from Mary Balogh and enjoyed most of them. She has written for probably 35 years so there’s a lot. She has a few series (generally Regency England type of stuff) that I thought were good. But I might have terrible taste lol.

2 Likes

I haven’t read anything else by her. With your input and how much I hated the main character of this one I think maybe I won’t. I guess there was some growth on the character’s part, a little, but not enough. She just lied constantly and did dishonest things and I think we were supposed to find it charming? I did not.

1 Like

If I wouldn’t like them in person I don’t want to read about them in a book. :rofl:

2 Likes

sequels

Summary

for drama, she regresses in subsequent books

1 Like