Collective Book Log

I haven’t read the ones you didn’t like! I have them on my library list though.

1 Like

I just finished The True Love Experiment by Christina Lauren. It was funny and sweet and I really liked it.

2 Likes

Bookshop.org has free shipping today and tomorrow!

1 Like

Darn, I ordered a book a week too early!

3 Likes

I know haha I had a poorly timed order last week. I guess I need some poetry now…

1 Like

If I want to buy ONE Mary Oliver anthology, which should I pick?

3 Likes

You mean one collection, or one book? I think there are two volumes of her New and Selected Poems, you could try the first one and see if you like it enough to get the second? Book-wise, I really love Blue Iris but I’m biased bc it was my first.

1 Like

I’ve only ever read her poems, and I honestly didn’t realize she had so many books! Thanks for the recommendations :slight_smile:

ETA - Apparently Blue Iris is out of stock on Bookshop, so that makes my choice easier. I’ll get it from the library!

1 Like

Soooo many books we are blessed :pray:

2 Likes

I looooved How to Keep House While Drowning. I’m not the target audience for this book- I don’t usually find my executive function or mental health to be obstacles to what the author calls “care tasks.” But I really loved her voice and her approach was just so compassionate and matter-of-fact.

The book is short and the chapters are just a few pages long AND there is a suggested “short cut” through the book.

The idea that space should serve me and not the other way around is one that I really need to hear. And her basic “skill building” chapters invited me to think, if I am doing more than this (for instance, she suggests cleaning your bathroom with 2 disposable Clorox wands and a few squirts of Windex on paper towels), for what reason am I doing more?

Highly recommend!

8 Likes

This sounds great, I’ve requested it from my library. Thanks!

3 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

My book club is starting to plan out the next few months of books and is looking for suggestions. Upcoming themes:

Arab author and/or story
Banned books
Mystery/spooky
Historical fiction
Cozy

Does anyone have something they’ve read and loved that fits into any of those? We’ll probably also be checking out recommended book lists like NPRs too but I figured I’d see if anyone had personal recommendations.

2 Likes

Alif the Unseen was a cool Arabic world located story.

2 Likes

Do y’all like graphic novels? Persepolis is so good.

4 Likes

My mystery/spooky recs that I think would appeal to a broad audience: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Head Full of Ghosts, I Remember You (if people want to be scared scared), or The Fisherman by John Langan.

2 Likes

I feel like I’ve read a lot of good historical fiction. Let’s see what my brain can come up with.
Finding Dorothy is historical fiction that is also kind of cozy.
More grizzly/not at all cozy but also good is The Devil in the White City.
Oooh, People of the Book. I loved that one, and I learned a lot! But it is still fiction, just based on a real, long, history.

2 Likes

I’ve been making my way through the Vorkosigan Saga and this series is truly excellent. Really fun space opera that also takes its setting and ethics seriously, very memorable characters, fresh and interesting treatment of gender and disability (only slightly dated). The author recommends internal chronological order but I prefer publication order.

Separately, I thought I’d pick up Fourth Wing because I’ve been seeing it everywhere. Unfortunately after the first chapter it became unreadably bad, shlock levels above even my high tolerance. Even in the subgenre of “dragon books for teens” there are much better options.

4 Likes

Not sure where to put this, but some of Seanan McGuire’s books are part of an EFF fundraiser at

for anyone who might be interested. She posted a link from her patreon, so reasonably sure it’s real, although I’ve already got the Incryptid books and have never gotten into October Daye so it’s not something I’ve tried myself.

6 Likes

Ohhhh that’s very tempting!!! If it weren’t Kobo-specific it would already be done…

(Is this when I install Calibre again?)

Also @TrisPrior.

2 Likes