Collective Book Log

Christmas in March? :grin:

1 Like

Alisha Rai’s new book, Partners in Crime, features a matchmaker and 20 pages in there is a character named Aparna.

2 Likes

I have a thing where I go back to fiction about things that are happening for real

So at the beginning of lockdown I reread The Stand and Kingdom of Needle & Bone

And with the start of tech layoffs, I went to And Then We Came To The End (I probably should also reread Microserfs and Grossman’s You, but I don’t have those any more (maybe also This is Not a Game?).

Any other books you’d pull up that were about these times? Ones written inspired by history, but a history that is repeating itself, or at least rhyming?

1 Like

My favorite book thing on the internet is here!

7 Likes

I just got caught up on Tamsyn Muir’s Locked Tomb series and I’m gonna need to go lie down for a bit… rarely have I finished three extremely complicated books and then immediately had the urge to go read them all again.

I’m glad this series is popular but how is it so popular? I wouldn’t have thought “ultraviolent theological locked-room mystery” would appeal to so many people

4 Likes

The Bromance book was as cute as expected.

4 Likes

And received before March!

1 Like

A Girl’s Guide to Vampires - I could not get into this and did not like the protagonist. But if you like Twilight-y stuff but with 20 somethings this might be for you?

A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher - YA novel, very enjoyable. A bit dark. In this world some people have wizard powers but they all have a specific focus, the protagonist has baking powers so she can make bread not burn in the oven and can make her gingerbread cookies dance. Then someone tries to take over the city-state she lives in and she has to save the day even though she’d much rather continue to work in her aunt’s bakery.

Paladin’s Grace by T. Kingfisher - a fluffy romance that also happens to have political intrigue and murders going on too. I have the sequel on my phone and am looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Because Muir is fucking with us. And people buy the books because they’ve also paid a lot more money per session, for a lot lower level of expertise.

2 Likes

DNF’d Rationality by Pinker after a second try. It starts out rehashing Thinking Fast & Slow and then moves into “I’m so rational, and you aren’t, so therefore I’m right about x y z”. I got 15% of the way in.

I might have done better had I not just finished The Black Swan which has very similar challenges for me, but has the advantage of banging on 2007 drums instead of 2021 drums. I have less patience for things that are so grounded in current topics while claiming to be universal truths.

ETA: just realized I conflated Pinker with Daniel Pink. So I feel less bad about the DNF.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve enjoyed a few books by Kate Clayborn lately.

1 Like

I’m currently on book 2 of The Xenogenesis Trilogy by Octavia E. Butler and it’s so good.

4 Likes

I’m reading The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno Garcia and it is interesting and sophisticated and subtle with formal, detached prose like you would find in old school classic lit.

Over the past year I’ve been reading a lot of Hispanic authors and I’m loving it.

7 Likes

Brown Girls by Daphne Palasi Andreades is kind of more art than literature, if that makes sense? Not something you read for plot or characters but for the vibes. I bet the author does spoken word. It’s not very long and I loved it.

Not sure if it was someone here who recommended The Thursday Murder Club, but regardless, a delightful cozy murder mystery - the Thursday Murder club is a group of 4 people in a retirement village who look into cold cases. And then a local real estate developer is killed, so of course they get involved.

4 Likes

This sounds right up my alley. Ty!

1 Like

and just finished the 3rd book The Bullet that Missed. Still highly enjoyable. Probably works as a standalone, but there is more pathos if you’ve read the earlier ones.

1 Like

Just finished and enjoyed Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood. It was very cute, as was her first book called The Love Hypothesis

3 Likes

I didn’t like the second book or any of the novellas but I did like The Love Hypothesis and Love Theoretically! I especially liked how matter of fact it was about her nontraditional side Hussle

1 Like