CC For 8,000$ Spend

HOLA!
I have an $8,000 healthcare expense coming up! I figure I might as well get some sweet sweet :money_with_wings: back from it!

I’m looking at cards that have high ‘required spend’ caps since I have to spend $8,032 (so specific!) in April.

This is the one that came up first for me:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-premier-credit-card

For folks that do the credit card game, any feedback or thoughts? :slight_smile: I’m more interested in cash than travel points/miles as I don’t have current trips planned but not against them as travel is FUN.

FICO score is in the 750 range.

6 Likes

Here’s the flow chart I recommend:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v13.html

Let me know if you have questions.

5/24 means that you haven’t opened 5 cards or more in the past 24 months. It’s a Chase rule.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks! CLICKS

It will be scary, sorry credit card hacking is a mildly terrifying spreadsheet sport.

4 Likes

Also, see if you can break up the payments between two cards, it might enable you to get multiple bonuses!

6 Likes

Flow chart is good. I made bank on the CSR (Chase Sapphire Reserve) one year. Like $1600 profit.

+1 to seeing if you can split up the payment - that’s enough for two minimum spends.

3 Likes

Besides splitting to get a bonus spend on 2 different cards, there is a decent chance that some bonus cards will start you out with a low limit. It’s entirely possible that 1 card won’t give you $8000 in credit line at first, even with a high credit rating - plan accordingly.

My other ‘hot tip’ on this would be to make your decision asap and apply. I’ve had cc’s with great bonuses take 10-14 days to show up. It’s no fun stressing about receiving the cc in time to pay for the big expense that you were relying on to earn the bonus in the first place!

5 Likes

The flow chart above is really good, but if this is just a one-off and not an ongoing activity, it probably doesn’t matter what order you apply for credit cards. You sell your art, no? You’re a small business? If you’re under 5/24 and want cash, I recommend splitting the $8k on 2 different cards and getting: 1) Chase Ink Preferred (80k points after $5k spend, $95 annual fee) and either 2) Chase Ink Unlimited or Chase Ink Cash ($500 bonus for either one after $3k spend, no annual fee).

Chase Ultimate Reward points are more valuable if applied for travel but can be easily converted to cash. You’d be getting $800+$500-$95(annual fee) = $1205. Easy peasy, but I also recommend getting your cards lined up ASAP.

The Citi card you linked to is a good one for travel, but the valuation for converting Citi ThankYou points to cash is terrible, and using them for gift cards or to shop on Amazon is less valuable, too.

ETA: If you’re wary of using business cards to pay for a healthcare expense, then I recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Bank of America Premium personal credit cards.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! I need to buckle down and figure this out in the next few days. :slight_smile:
I don’t feel comfortable doing business cards. I sell art but, like, not on the reg and not to a point that it really exceeds a hobby. :slight_smile: But this info is very helpful, thank you!

And thank you to everyone else as well!!

2 Likes

I’m borderline comfortable getting business cards myself, but I’ve gotten a couple, ha. The personal cards I recommended should net you $900 cash, after annual fees. Hopefully, as a non-churner with a high credit score, you’ll have no problem getting them.

5 Likes

Hey if you haven’t applied yet, let one of us refer you! we both get bonus points, which are like $50

2 Likes

I have not! REFER AWAY!

1 Like

If people want to refer me to get the perks or whatever, today is the last day to do so. I need to apply asap.
@anomalily

1 Like

Ah! Hi Oro! I’m sorry I forgot to loop back. I don’t have any non-business cards with referral bonuses right now sadly, I checked. Do have quite a lot for the Chase Ink biz series!

I think the Chase Cash back has one though so if anyone else has one! (I don’t have that card.)

2 Likes

All good! I’ll move forward then. :slight_smile: Thanks!!

Bank of America Premium approved. :tada:
Waiting on the Chase Sapphire Preferred next.

5 Likes